• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 weeks Post Op; am I already having cravings?

NB223

So I’m officially 2 weeks post op, still have o my lost around 2 pounds. I’m having issues learning when I’m actually hungry and when my brain just convinces me I’m interested in trigger foods. I wouldn’t go as far as saying I’m thinking about food all day, but I do notice when I’m watching TV and a commercial for food comes on, or if I pass a restaurant in the car, my brain immediately tries to tell my body I’m hungry. Lol I know these feelings aren’t unique to me, but it is definitely frustrating. I never realized how much I ate for cravings vs actually hungry until now. If you asked me before surgery, I would have said I ate when I was hungry at least 75% of the time, and now I know that is just not accurate. How do you reprogram your brain to not want these things when your bombarded with advertisements everywhere you go?

Well, I think the answer to this might be the key to the whole damn thing! Unfortunately, I'm only 3 weeks out myself so I'm not sure either. I wasn't really hungry in the beginning but the last week or so .. oh boy! I am assuming eventually it will get better. Or at least I won't be triggered every SINGLE time I pass the homemade ice cream shop on the corner!! But, until then, I'm just sticking to the plan. I bought some sugar free frozen cool whip and when my family has ice cream, I have 2 T of that, over some sugar free jello. (which is NOT the same but it's cold and creamy, so it's better than nothing) My husband grilled cheeseburgers the other day. I just had him make me a 1 oz. patty with a 1/4 slice of cheese. I was still on puree so I had to mush it up with my fork and chew for-EVER, but it was still a cheeseburger. I just skipped the bun. I just keep reminding myself surgery was a tool, I have to use it. And that I didn't go through major surgery to F it up already :)

If you have if you have only lost 2 lb in 2 weeks following surgery, you need to see your surgeon immediately. You're either doing something wrong or the surgery didn't work. It's virtually impossible to have your stomach reduced to 2 oz capacity and then not lose an enormous amount of weight, especially in the first 8 weeks. in order not to lose more, you would have to be eating small amounts of high-calorie food all day long. If you are being honest and following your food plan, you should be losing weight every single day.

there are a number there are a number of other related bits of knowledge that I could share with you right now but, I'm extremely alarmed at the fact that you have not lost more weight. That to me is a red flag. You need to see your surgeon as soon as possible.

I had my 2 week post op virtual session on Friday and my doctor didn’t seem to alarmed and insisted my body just needs time to heal. I’m definitely not eating high calorie foods; I spent the whole day getting in water and protein shakes and then some lean meat if I have more room. He thinks it may also have to do with the high blood pressure medicine I had been taking before surgery. It was a combo medicine that also included a diuretic, which I had to stop so I didn’t become dehydrated after surgery. I do feel that I’m holding a little extra fluid, but i am not sure if that it the reason I’m losing so slowly. I have an in person appointment with my family doctor on Wednesday to make sure everything is ok as well.

I lost 12lbs my first week and have lost 2 in the 2 1/2 weeks since. I saw my surgeon and he said he sees people hit a plateau pretty quickly on a regular basis. You lose a lot during the pre-surgery diet and your body goes into a kind of holding pattern for a minute while you're healing and not to panic. (As you can imagine, I was like WTF?!? I JUST had surgery!! You broke me! lol) I am doing everything exactly as they told me to, including measuring every bite/sip/ounce that enters my mouth and logging it. Even the flavor packets of Crystal Light, which have 5 calories!! Still, I can tell my body composition is changing, as I seem to be losing inches, even if I don't seem to be losing so many pounds. Just keep following the plan they gave you and it will come off. At least this is what my surgeon assures me will happen.

Evenwith a medication that makes you hold onto weight or water, I would still be extremely alarmed if I only lost 2 lb in 2 weeks immediately after surgery. But I'm not going to worry on your behalf. I just think that if you see this trend continue, you might want to get a second opinion. Doctors are not perfect and I have had a few doctors who have done harm to me. You cannot always take their word for everything.

But wow, 75 lb preoperatively? That is amazing.

On the cravings and hunger? This is the hard part. You've got to change those bad habits the hard way by forcing yourself, and your greatly reduced ability to eat is partly how you accomplish it. Remember the surgery is just a tool; the hard work is still all up to you. It's going to take a bit of time to change how your brain reacts, and how your body reacts to your brain. If your old habits are winning so soon after surgery, I'd hope you reach out for some professional help.

You bring up a good point; I do see a physical difference, just not on the scale. I also lost 75 lbs before the surgery fairly easily, so it’s definitely possible I’m on a plateau. Thank yo everyone for your advice!
Before you get any farther along, take measurements. Especially measure your neck. For some reason that is where I tracked my weight loss most accurately. But also your thighs, your upper arms, your ankles, your waist, your hips and your bust. You can measure once weekly and keep a log and even if the scale doesn't meet your expectations the measurements probably will.

I remember that my neck was more than 17 inches when I began and about halfway through it was down to 15 in. That's when I knew I had done the right thing.

I had my 2 week post op virtual session on Friday and my doctor didn’t seem to alarmed and insisted my body just needs time to heal. I’m definitely not eating high calorie foods; I spent the whole day getting in water and protein shakes and then some lean meat if I have more room. He thinks it may also have to do with the high blood pressure medicine I had been taking before surgery. It was a combo medicine that also included a diuretic, which I had to stop so I didn’t become dehydrated after surgery. I do feel that I’m holding a little extra fluid, but i am not sure if that it the reason I’m losing so slowly. I have an in person appointment with my family doctor on Wednesday to make sure everything is ok as well.
I
So I’m officially 2 weeks post op, still have o my lost around 2 pounds. I’m having issues learning when I’m actually hungry and when my brain just convinces me I’m interested in trigger foods. I wouldn’t go as far as saying I’m thinking about food all day, but I do notice when I’m watching TV and a commercial for food comes on, or if I pass a restaurant in the car, my brain immediately tries to tell my body I’m hungry. Lol I know these feelings aren’t unique to me, but it is definitely frustrating. I never realized how much I ate for cravings vs actually hungry until now. If you asked me before surgery, I would have said I ate when I was hungry at least 75% of the time, and now I know that is just not accurate. How do you reprogram your brain to not want these things when your bombarded with advertisements everywhere you go?
Sugar free popsicle are your friends. Also if you think you are hungry, drink water. I was very slow to loose weight after surgery now it's falling off. You got this. Don't pay attention to the scales just focus on what your body is telling you

Welp, mystery has been solved. I went to my primary doctor yesterday for a checkup, and his scale was not showing what mine was. I bought a new scale today, weighed myself 5 times and realized....the scale I was using was broken ‍:confused::confused: I’ve lost 12 lbs since surgery (2 weeks ago) and am no longer going crazy lol

Welp, mystery has been solved. I went to my primary doctor yesterday for a checkup, and his scale was not showing what mine was. I bought a new scale today, weighed myself 5 times and realized....the scale I was using was broken ‍:confused::confused: I’ve lost 12 lbs since surgery (2 weeks ago) and am no longer going crazy lol
I laugh because I did something similar once many years ago when I wasn't even very heavy. I VERY quickly lost 20lbs and was frightened something was wrong. Went to the doctor and found her scale was fine. Apparently I had cleaned the scale and set zero at -20. I felt like an idiot but better safe than sorry, right? ;)

Back