• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 weeks post surgery

Mgoes

I had the gastric-sleeve and hernia repair surgery on September 9. Overall things have gone well with the exception of my blood pressure getting very high a few days after surgery and having trouble tolerating crushed pills and liquid versions of my regular meds. I also was unable to get substitutions for a several extended release meds...which were hard coming off, but now think I'm better off without.

Since the hernia caused a bowel obstruction 2 weeks before surgery, I have been on a liquid diet for a month now and am feeling very weak. I'm getting my 3 protein shakes and required water in every day. I've also been walking and doing everything the doctors ordered, but this weak, dizzy feeling is getting worse. Any one else experience this? I have my 2 week follow up with my surgeon tomorrow morning.

I had the gastric-sleeve and hernia repair surgery on September 9. Overall things have gone well with the exception of my blood pressure getting very high a few days after surgery and having trouble tolerating crushed pills and liquid versions of my regular meds. I also was unable to get substitutions for a several extended release meds...which were hard coming off, but now think I'm better off without.

Since the hernia caused a bowel obstruction 2 weeks before surgery, I have been on a liquid diet for a month now and am feeling very weak. I'm getting my 3 protein shakes and required water in every day. I've also been walking and doing everything the doctors ordered, but this weak, dizzy feeling is getting worse. Any one else experience this? I have my 2 week follow up with my surgeon tomorrow morning.
I hope your doctor gave you some good information today and that you're feeling better soon!

Let me know what your doctor says b/c i have been feeling the exact way and i am 2 months out. :(

Hi! Finally feeling better enough to give an update. I somehow made it into my 2-week post op appointment, but just seeing me they were concerned. My blood pressure was very low and they thought I was dehydrated. A nurse took me by a wheelchair over to the ER. I ended up spending the rest of the day there getting different tests and several bags of IVs. Turns out my potassium levels were dangerously low and I had a urine infection. After getting both oral and IV potassium, they let me go home with a week of potassium supplements and antibiotics. Spoke to the dietician the next day and she suggested doing a dairy free diet to see if that helps the diarrhea. Just having eggs, hummus and fish at this point...no more whey protein shakes. Fortunately, everything I have eaten has been well-tolerated...but I'm still having diarrhea and probably not getting enough protein. I ordered some of the plant-based shakes which will hopefully arrive soon.

I'm not totally convinced I suddenly developed a sensitivity to dairy, but will try not having it. I'm wondering if it may have more to do with my IBS getting stirred up by gastric surgery. Has anyone else had that happen?

Hi. Hopefully you will feel better once your potassium levels get back to normal. Did you tell them that you have IBS? I would suggest speaking to your gastroenterologist, if you have one. I have IBS-C (so, the opposite of your issue) but I do know that a lot of physicians and nutritionists don't know much about it or take it too seriously. My IBS has gotten worse, but I immediately made an appointment with my gastro because the weight loss doctors just assume you have the regular complaints that other weight loss patients have and that IS NOT the case. If you do not have a gastroenterologist, consider getting one. The fact that they suggested try giving up dairy instead of making an IBS specific suggestion concerns me because most people with IBS have been on an elimination diet, and been tested for dietary allergies/intolerances, at LEAST once. I hope you can get the support that you need for your specific condition somewhere.

Hi. Hopefully you will feel better once your potassium levels get back to normal. Did you tell them that you have IBS? I would suggest speaking to your gastroenterologist, if you have one. I have IBS-C (so, the opposite of your issue) but I do know that a lot of physicians and nutritionists don't know much about it or take it too seriously. My IBS has gotten worse, but I immediately made an appointment with my gastro because the weight loss doctors just assume you have the regular complaints that other weight loss patients have and that IS NOT the case. If you do not have a gastroenterologist, consider getting one. The fact that they suggested try giving up dairy instead of making an IBS specific suggestion concerns me because most people with IBS have been on an elimination diet, and been tested for dietary allergies/intolerances, at LEAST once. I hope you can get the support that you need for your specific condition somewhere.
Thanks...that's good advice. I was diagnosed with a spastic colon in my teens, for the most part episodes have been limited to super stressful times. I have a feeling my system got stirred up with the surgery. I'm seeing my primary on Tuesday and will discuss with him.

I have developed low blood pressure in my weight loss, dizziness, sleepiness & diarrhea, adding more protein over a week, hopefully it will make things better. I was on high blood pressure meds, I have lost 26 lbs my blood pressure went low, we decreased my 2 pills a day down so far to 1/4 a pill a day, but pressure still low, so the last 3 days I stopped my b/p meds completely, we will see how that goes.

Surgeon doesn't think I am dehydrated, I'm getting plenty of fluids & protein now.
I am not taking any milk products yet for 2 days longer. Never had a problem w/ dairy.

But I am going to make an appointment w/ the Cardiologist to follow up.

I tried a cup of decaf coffee yesterday for the 1st time, I took a couple of sips, I had no interest in finishing it, Whats up w/ that? I use to enjoy drinking 1-2 cups a day.

Glad you are doing a little better.

I am also experiencing the same thing, please post what your Doc has to say! Good luck!

I have developed low blood pressure in my weight loss, dizziness, sleepiness & diarrhea, adding more protein over a week, hopefully it will make things better. I was on high blood pressure meds, I have lost 26 lbs my blood pressure went low, we decreased my 2 pills a day down so far to 1/4 a pill a day, but pressure still low, so the last 3 days I stopped my b/p meds completely, we will see how that goes.

Surgeon doesn't think I am dehydrated, I'm getting plenty of fluids & protein now.
I am not taking any milk products yet for 2 days longer. Never had a problem w/ dairy.

I tried a cup of decaf coffee yesterday for the 1st time, I took a couple of sips, I had no interest in finishing it, Whats up w/ that? I use to enjoy drinking 1-2 cups a day.

BTW, I forgot to tell you I also had some previous surgical repair and have a giant "zipper" down my front!

I haven't had the nerve to try coffee but I have noticed how my taste for food and how food tastes has changed drastically! I am 2 weeks out and am still experiencing minor abdominal cramping with BM.

My doctor is still concerned about my potassium levels and did a blood test...still don't have results yet. I was still having diarrhea and extreme weakness yesterday and my bp was 128/95...so back to high lower number again, at least top number is good.
But the amazing thing is that this morning I woke up feeling better. I was able to shower, walk around the house and sit up for most of the day. Best thing...only one diarrhea first thing this morning and the weak, dizzy feeling was much improved. Today is my 3 week anniversary post surgery.

I had all the people at the hospital concerned when I was there for my surgery because my blood pressure was upper 90s over 55. They would tale it multiple times despite my reassurance that it was normal. My point being, you know your body keep being persistent until they listen.

I haven't had the nerve to try coffee but I have noticed how my taste for food and how food tastes has changed drastically! I am 2 weeks out and am still experiencing minor abdominal cramping with BM.
That's exactly where I'm at! I am getting abdominal cramping with BM's. Also I can't say that I enjoy anything I have eaten since the surgery and I can't (never could) stand artificial sweeteners! Makes me GAG! I've been heaving up this pure white foam, very dense almost like shaving cream. Am having a bit of a rough go! BTW my age doesn't help, 73!

Back