• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2-year post op reflections

I had my 2-year post op follow up appt today. My actual anniversary is June 22nd. I weighed 264 when I started the program. My goal was 170. I now stay between 158-163, so I've made that my acceptable range. When I go over the high, I start tracking and measuring again. Regain is a serious concern for me, since I have lost, and regained, large amounts previously, although not through surgery. My doctor was very happy with me and said that's exactly the way to do it. Although if I wanted to lose 10 more, she'd be happier lol

I can eat more than I thought I would be able to. But most fast food does not agree with me, which is probably for the best lol I try to stick to healthier, less processed foods now. I do still have mental hunger and the feeling that I don't always want to stop eating when something tastes really good. I just try to remind myself that nothing is off limits so I can eat that food again another time. Usually that works. It only takes one time to overeat and then you really don't want to do it again. Although I do find that if I am not paying attention while eating, I can 'accidentally' eat too much. So, I try to make sure that I either measure what I eat or that I stay focused while eating.

I find it interesting that the further out I get, the more negative thoughts I have about my body. I was looking at the pics from our recent trip and thought "OMG! I look fat!!" Which I never thought a year ago. So, I decided to look though old photos to give myself some perspective. I did not have a perfect body before surgery and lived with that just fine. So, I'm going to learn to be comfortable with a smaller albeit flabbier body too! Below I shared a photo from June 2018 and one from this weekend. (apparently, I took no photos in 2019! lol) I am really not interested in skin removal, as I've heard it is painful and cost prohibitive. Also, it's my saggy ass knees that irk me the most so I'd have to have a full body lift and I'd STILL be 52 so .. there's that lol

Overall, it's been a wonderful experience, I wish I'd have done it sooner! And I recommend it to anyone who asks.

I had my 2-year post op follow up appt today. My actual anniversary is June 22nd. I weighed 264 when I started the program. My goal was 170. I now stay between 158-163, so I've made that my acceptable range. When I go over the high, I start tracking and measuring again. Regain is a serious concern for me, since I have lost, and regained, large amounts previously, although not through surgery. My doctor was very happy with me and said that's exactly the way to do it. Although if I wanted to lose 10 more, she'd be happier lol

I can eat more than I thought I would be able to. But most fast food does not agree with me, which is probably for the best lol I try to stick to healthier, less processed foods now. I do still have mental hunger and the feeling that I don't always want to stop eating when something tastes really good. I just try to remind myself that nothing is off limits so I can eat that food again another time. Usually that works. It only takes one time to overeat and then you really don't want to do it again. Although I do find that if I am not paying attention while eating, I can 'accidentally' eat too much. So, I try to make sure that I either measure what I eat or that I stay focused while eating.

I find it interesting that the further out I get, the more negative thoughts I have about my body. I was looking at the pics from our recent trip and thought "OMG! I look fat!!" Which I never thought a year ago. So, I decided to look though old photos to give myself some perspective. I did not have a perfect body before surgery and lived with that just fine. So, I'm going to learn to be comfortable with a smaller albeit flabbier body too! Below I shared a photo from June 2018 and one from this weekend. (apparently, I took no photos in 2019! lol) I am really not interested in skin removal, as I've heard it is painful and cost prohibitive. Also, it's my saggy ass knees that irk me the most so I'd have to have a full body lift and I'd STILL be 52 so .. there's that lol

Overall, it's been a wonderful experience, I wish I'd have done it sooner! And I recommend it to anyone who asks.

View attachment 5302View attachment 5304
I remember when, Missy. I always had a feeling you'd be one of us who made it.

Fluctuations that don't seem logical will always happen. But part of your journey has been learning, learning, learning.

My girl, you are One Fabulous Babe!

View attachment 5302View attachment 5304
So great to read! Thank you for sharing what you've learned. And wow you look so great! What a difference!

Way to go Missy. You are so awesome, and both pics are beautiful. I am so proud of you for your hard work that has paid off in such an amazing way. Thank you for sharing. This will help inspire so many of us that get discouraged and wonder if we really can reach our goals. You rock! ❤❤

Back