• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 years after surgery

It has been two years. I met my goal weight in 2 months and lost another 22 pounds. I started back on sweets but got a hold of it a few months ago. Back to correct eating for sleeve bypass and exercising but instead of losing I've gained 14 pounds and it will not budge. I'm only on step above liquids because it feels like glass ripping me apart inside. This has happened also to another man on the glass ripping thing. I've become depressed because I got 9 pounds from my goal of 115 coming from 210. I have asthma related Cushing's syndrome and concerned the only last help would be the big bypass. I went from a size 6 back to a ten. I was the smallest to get it but because of Cushing's I would keep getting bigger until organ failure. I'm not looking for condemnation just someone to talk to because no one I know can even begin to relate.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem. I know gaining weight back must be very disappointing for you. I confess I don't know too much about Cushing's, although I have talked to my doctor about it. I too am an asthmatic and have been on prednisone far more often than I'd like. Are you getting treatment for Cushings?

It has been two years. I met my goal weight in 2 months and lost another 22 pounds. I started back on sweets but got a hold of it a few months ago. Back to correct eating for sleeve bypass and exercising but instead of losing I've gained 14 pounds and it will not budge. I'm only on step above liquids because it feels like glass ripping me apart inside. This has happened also to another man on the glass ripping thing. I've become depressed because I got 9 pounds from my goal of 115 coming from 210. I have asthma related Cushing's syndrome and concerned the only last help would be the big bypass. I went from a size 6 back to a ten. I was the smallest to get it but because of Cushing's I would keep getting bigger until organ failure. I'm not looking for condemnation just someone to talk to because no one I know can even begin to relate.

Wow what a situation to be in.

I am so sorry. I wish I could say more. I read what cushing's syndrome is all about.

Have you been able to reduce or eliminate your asthma medications since you lost all the weight?

That is the only thing I can think of. Are there any asthma Rx's that will not lead to further making your syndrome worse???

Wow.

Ralph

Thank you so much. This was thought to be the best treatment all around considering a few other health conditions. I got pneumonia and it took so long to get rid of it. My brother passed away in 30 days after getting a cold that turned in pneumonia. I'm sure they think about that when treating me. I have his same medical team. It really is disappointing but I think maybe being able to talk to people that understand the life change will help get me back on track. I'm praying now the pneumonia is gone I can get back into a routine. I know we have a common bond that makes it easier to talk about without the eye rolling. I was doing well I thought till last November when the constant readdressing of this tremor in my hand had from 7years ago to total body shakes turned out to be advanced Parkinson's. My whole life has changed from complete independence to still keeping protein/fluid logs to help remember to not being able to drive, etc. I can say laughter is my best medicine. TY

Thank you. I thought I was responding to your reply. Still getting used to this but I may have covered both replies and cannot thank you enough to be a source of inspiration while you have your own things to deal with. I think I may have finally found a place to feel comfortable.

WELCOME. To the Forum, Betty!!!

I'm so sorry you are not doing well. Plateaus happen because your body tries to keep you from losing thinking that you are starving. Try eating a little more protein so your body thinks that all is well. Take a fresh look at your weight. 138 is still a great weight loss from your starting weight. You can do this! :)

Cheyenne

Thank you so much Cheyenne and all of you for your help and support. I find that just since yesterday my spirit is better by being able to talk about this to people who understand the situation and for inspiration instead of get over it. My sleeve is so small I cannot eat more than 1/2 cup without it coming back up. They have said they could stretch it but I remembered in the classes they said in time it could stretch itself. It takes all day just to meet the 70 to 80 grams of protein per day that's why I cannot understand the gain but you are so right I need to focus on what I've accomplished already and in the peace of knowing and realizing that it will start coming back off. I know a couple of the Parkinson's meds they tried made my stress levels go up from side effects. I lost 75% of my speech and thought pattern but they are hopeful it is not permanent. I'm not trying anymore for a while until I get a grpi on this and thank all of you for your help and inspiration.

Thank you calql84health and all of you for the warm welcome, inspiration and help. I feel lighter in the spirit already. I wish we didn't have a need for support groups on anything but praise the Lord that we do. I finally feel comfortable talking about it because I have had to hold it all in. Thank you so much. ✌

Betty could your weight gain be due to water retention possibly from a medicine you're taking? I don't think it's possible for you to gain actual weight eating what you are eating. You may not lose weight but you certainly shouldn't have gained weight. Check your ankles if you can leave a depression when you push on them. I used to be able to push on my ankle and leave a finger mark deep into my ankle.

:cool:You are right. I didn't think of that. My stomach is descended horribly bad. It is huge I had to go from my size 6 to a ten in a couple of weeks. If I pinch the skin on my hand it stays up for a few seconds that indicated dehydration and I don't know how because I do get the fluids in but the size of my stomach is awful looking. It is like all of it went there. While checkng the ankles like you suggested no indentions left. I was supposed to have a couple of neuropathy test done because my hands and feet have a dark red/purple color they look black. I know this sounds like so much going on that is why I stopped talking to anyone except when seeing my doctors. I cannot be released from my surgeon until I'm eating real food, the Parkingson's and mini strokes reek havoc on my mind and body, I just didn't want to burden or put this on anyone else. I have my faith and now this site to finally feel at peace to say something. I'm going to check about the water retention possibility since that occured over just a few days to go up that many sizes. Thank you sooooo much.;)

:cool:You are right. I didn't think of that. My stomach is descended horribly bad. It is huge I had to go from my size 6 to a ten in a couple of weeks. If I pinch the skin on my hand it stays up for a few seconds that indicated dehydration and I don't know how because I do get the fluids in but the size of my stomach is awful looking. It is like all of it went there. While checkng the ankles like you suggested no indentions left. I was supposed to have a couple of neuropathy test done because my hands and feet have a dark red/purple color they look black. I know this sounds like so much going on that is why I stopped talking to anyone except when seeing my doctors. I cannot be released from my surgeon until I'm eating real food, the Parkingson's and mini strokes reek havoc on my mind and body, I just didn't want to burden or put this on anyone else. I have my faith and now this site to finally feel at peace to say something. I'm going to check about the water retention possibility since that occured over just a few days to go up that many sizes. Thank you sooooo much.;)

Do you have a heart condition? If your heart isn't pumping properly, it can cause fluid to back up in your lungs or around your stomach. Just a thought.

Cheyenne

Keep talking to your Doctors.

I certainly hope they are working together on your issues and know what each of them are doing.

Ralph

No heart is good and just got over pneumonia with steroids and antibotics, but I see my surgeon next Friday, so praying they can figure something out. You are exactly right about the water around heart and lungs. My mom had that, and in just a few hours removed a huge anount of fluid. Lord knows I don't think I can endure something else, because I'm not able to get out and do my visits and counseling like I should be. Praying good news about this and for everyone on here who are going through trials of their own. :cool:
The one great thing I have on my side is all of my doctors talk with each other on how to treat me except for my neurologist, who has wanted test scheduled since January 2, but after calling them several times no one has called me back so it is time I believe for a new one. My frown has been turned upside down and I pray I can help out like all of you have helped me. Thank you, thank you, thak you. :cool:

No heart is good and just got over pneumonia with steroids and antibotics, but I see my surgeon next Friday, so praying they can figure something out. You are exactly right about the water around heart and lungs. My mom had that, and in just a few hours removed a huge anount of fluid. Lord knows I don't think I can endure something else, because I'm not able to get out and do my visits and counseling like I should be. Praying good news about this and for everyone on here who are going through trials of their own. :cool:
The one great thing I have on my side is all of my doctors talk with each other on how to treat me except for my neurologist, who has wanted test scheduled since January 2, but after calling them several times no one has called me back so it is time I believe for a new one. My frown has been turned upside down and I pray I can help out like all of you have helped me. Thank you, thank you, thak you. :cool:

We all are here to try and help one another. No need for thanks because your experiences will help out others in the future. We all have a common bond that unites us together. :) It's so great that you are going to become an active member of our group! Hope that you feel better soon!!!

Cheyenne

Whoa!

Steroids!

Steroids make you gain weight like crazy!

Once you are off of them and everything is cleared up you will see the weight come back off.

When I was on predisone for sinus infections (steroid) I gained about 10 pounds within a week and my blood sugars were completely out of control. I am t2 diabetic. I had to use copious amounts of Novolog fast insulin just to keep my sugar counts under 200!

So, if you have been on steroids that is what is making you gain weight!

Ralph

Whoa!

Steroids!

Steroids make you gain weight like crazy!

Once you are off of them and everything is cleared up you will see the weight come back off.

When I was on predisone for sinus infections (steroid) I gained about 10 pounds within a week and my blood sugars were completely out of control. I am t2 diabetic. I had to use copious amounts of Novolog fast insulin just to keep my sugar counts under 200!

So, if you have been on steroids that is what is making you gain weight!

Ralph

Yep, my son gained 50lb on steroids in no time at all. He has M.S.

Cheyenne

Thank you all so much. I forgot about not using a straw. I haven't lost weight but my stomach no longer looks like I'm 9 months pregnant. I'mpraying now iI'm off the steroids things will get back on track. My nephew wants to start walking. He quit smoking and gained weight fast. I will be happy if I only lose the 14 pounds I regained.

Back