• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 years after

CarBrock

My surgery was 2 years ago in August. I have had more problems with my metabolism being too low since around August. Haven't really lost any more weight since then. Anyone else had this problem if so what did you do about it?

It's interesting you should make this comment. My blood work last month, for the first time (I'm 2 1/2 yrs out), showed I have hypothyroidism. Which is hysterical because I'm so thin now. Now that you've commented on it and I've heard 2 other people comment the same, it's something I'm going to look into. How are you feeling otherwise?

I feel great. Now I did have surgery for precancer on what was left of my thyroid. I had left side removed about 10 years ago and then Dec 09 had the other side removed due to the same precancer. But Dr says that has nothing to do with the low metabolic rate. I know that lapband patients usually don't lose but 75% of their weight but it is possible to lose more. They told me I have lost more than most lose. Let me know what you find as far as sources to look at. I walk every day for 30 minutes or more, eat alot of protein daily, doing basically what they tell me to do and its not working so far.?????

sitting stagnant at 1 year, 8 months...

How did you find out your metabolism is too low? I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary, and have been sitting within the same few pounds for the last 6 months. I really have not changed anything over this period. I only had 80lbs to lose total, and can't get more than 55 off. I just keep telling myself that I must need to decrease (yet again) the portions going in and up the exercise....

i completely understand after 9 yearsnI regained 50 and have forty more to lose to be at my goal wt. It is so hard not to get discouraged. so I come here and listen to other wls people. keep doing the right thing and reember 64 oz. of water.patti

How did I find out about my metabolism?

My weightloss Dr. keeps an eye out for problems and has been doing this surgery for years now. he also used to do thyroid issues. I lost my thyroid to precancer right after my surgery. These are some of the things I was told to do daily: walking with weights, lay on the bed and do arm lifts, exercise is key. If you have a band, see if they will take the fluid out for a while. I had some issues before Christmas last year and they took the fluid out for about a month, and then only put back 3 1/2 of the fluid back, I was hungry all the time then. So I went back in and had gained 4 pounds and he put the other fluid back which gave me the original 4 1/2 back and I have lost 8 pounds since! I feel like I am back on track just need to start walking more every day. and you do have to walk every day. The job I have in a long term care facility for children, I am in the laundry so I am either walking every hour to pick up dirty laundry or I am on my feet with the dryers, so I am tired but I do count some of that as walking, I know I have lost inches also because my clothes have gotten looser. Keep trying , don't give up, talk to your weightloss dr about the metabolism. I lost 100 pounds the first 2 1/2 years but cant seem to get the other 50 off that I want to lose but I feel like I am on my way to losing it now. August will be 3 years for me. :D

Back