• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 years post op & Struggling

Jen2018

Hello, I found this page after searching meet up groups or support groups. I recently found that from March until now I’ve gained 14 lbs. my weight had stalled at 183 and now I’m at 197. I need an intervention I work out a lot as I am training for an Ironman. My issue is I’m addicted to sweets. Any suggestions or help I would appreciate it. I’ve made an effort to log my stuff food on my fitness pal and ended up with 1907 (woah!) calories consumed. I worked out and offset my overage but any advise would be appreciated

You have obviously made some incredible achievements in your journey, I suspect you will continue to do so with a few little tweaks.

I would recommend a couple of things. First, you should reach out to a bariatric dietician and try to get a handle on your nutrition. Second, if you truly think you have an addiction to sugar/sweets, you may want to talk with a counsellor who has experience in that area. If it is truly that difficult to give up something that isn't healthy for you and could potentially reverse everything you've worked so hard to gain, it might be helpful to talk with someone about it.

Exercise really isn't that effective in offsetting overeating. There are so many benefits we get from exercise, but weight loss isn't really one of them. You work out a lot, so you'd see more benefit than the average person who exercises less, but the biggest issues probably boil down to : 1. The quality of food you eat, and 2. The quality of your microbiome.

If you are eating too much sugar, that will obviously have an effect on your calorie intake, especially if you are eating refined sugars vs. fruit sugars with fiber. Your body may be craving more carbs due to your workouts, but you may be giving it the wrong carbs. If you aren't getting enough variety of fiber and other nutrients compared to simple sugars, your microbiome isn't going to be fed properly, and that can send some really mixed signals (meaning not beneficial) through your body and brain.

You might try soothing your sweet tooth in stages. Look to fruits to satisfy the need for sweet, or a different natural sweetener like stevia. Look at alternatives that don't carry as many calories. If you have a fairly limited diet, try expanding what you eat, specifically in the area of plants and fiber to feed your microbiome and improve metabolism.

Best of luck! You've done so great! You can get back on track.

Hi, Jen. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I am only 4 month pre-op but honestly, I would guess that all of us are going to struggle at some points. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, the only way to stop gaining weight from eating sweets is to stop eating sweets and try to exchange that need with something healthier. Ah, if only it were just that easy, right? I agree with everything Ryan said but I'd also suggest gum, preferably sugar free. It comes in a million candy like flavors and keeps your mouth busy. It was a lifesaver when I quit smoking and is still my go to if I feel like I'm going to start grazing but am not actually hungry. One more suggestion. Continue tracking but input everything before you eat it. That way when you get to your desired calories, you know you have to stop. Or at the very least. you are aware you're about to go over and will hopefully make a better choice. Welcome to the group.

Hello, I found this page after searching meet up groups or support groups. I recently found that from March until now I’ve gained 14 lbs. my weight had stalled at 183 and now I’m at 197. I need an intervention I work out a lot as I am training for an Ironman. My issue is I’m addicted to sweets. Any suggestions or help I would appreciate it. I’ve made an effort to log my stuff food on my fitness pal and ended up with 1907 (woah!) calories consumed. I worked out and offset my overage but any advise would be appreciated

Hi Jen - Welcome to the group!

I'm sorry you're having issues. I strongly urge you to talk with your surgical team / nutritionist.

Also, if you're addicted to sweets - try a different kind of sweets. I was born a chocoholic - no known cure for it either. Chocolate was my go to sweet - didn't matter what sweet as long as it was chocolate! Before surgery I ate the 70 calorie brownies, s/f chocolate cook and server pudding - this one tastes better than instant, and things of that nature.

I log my food on myfitnesspal.com as well. My nutritionist will check it once or twice a month and if I need to add something or stop eating something - she'll email me. It's very helpful.

You may also want to check out this site - 5 Day Pouch Test from LivingAfterWLS - it may prove helpful! There are some good recipes here as well. Best of luck continuing on your life changing journey!

Recipes for the 5 Day Pouch Test
The recipes provided for use while doing the 5 Day Pouch Test have been tested in home kitchens across the country and what you will find here is the best results of all that testing. Please be true to the recipes as much as possible, this is how you will get the best results during the next 5 days and beyond. For the complete collection of 60 recipes get this affordable eBook download: The 5 Day Pouch Test: Complete Recipe Collection
ir
. Instantly download this eBook on your mobile device as a terrific reference while shopping and preparing your meals. The complete recipe collection includes a vast variety of meals to please the most challenging picky or selective eaters.
Days1_2_532bar.jpg

Days 1&2: Page 1
Days 1&2: Page 2
Days 1&2: Page 3
day3_532bar.jpg

Day 3: Page 1
Day 3: Page 2

Day 3: Page 3

day4_532bar.jpg

Day 4 Page 1: Fish and Shellfish
Day 4 Page 2: Ground Meat and Poultry

day5_532bar.jpg

Day 5 Page 1: Chicken and Turkey
Day 5 Page 2: Pork and Beef

wow, wow, Missy, you are really smoking it! You are learning and doing at the same time oh and also teaching. No wonder you're doing so well.

Back