• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2nd revion in the works

Heady

Hello new here
As I know everyone journey is different, I'm looking at my second revision.
My journey start in 2004 with my first Lap band, it was amazing, losing 70 lbs, healthy happy, then it began failing in 2017,,
2019 many Drs felt I needed to go back and have my first revision to another lap band, fast forward, I've gained all my weight and more back, years ago had lumbar fusion, I can hardly move exceptionally or sleep with out pain, acid reflux, multiple medications, for aniexiety, possible sleep apnea, my regular Dr agreed why be tested and get a machine when the excessive weight is causing the issues,,a few more issues
Now my Dr and insurance say I'm a candidate for revision to rny
I'm ready ,not getting younger, please, I need help with this process, the gastric nurse says I may not be a candidate for them..
My regular Dr says I am, insurance says I am
HELP

Welcome Heady to our group. I had my lapband removed last June while had VSG. I had gone a long time with no restriction in the band because I was having issues with it. I can tell you I like the sleeve much better than the band so far. These days many surgeons are no longer doing the lapband so don't be surprised if they want you to get the sleeve or a bypass. You might not be able to get around getting tested for sleep apnea as many of the insurance companies require it.

If the gastric nurse says you may not be a candidate when insurance is saying you are, I would ask for an explanation. If there is more than one bariatric center in your area, you might want to shop around. Good luck to you!

Welcome Heady to our group. I had my lapband removed last June while had VSG. I had gone a long time with no restriction in the band because I was having issues with it. I can tell you I like the sleeve much better than the band so far. These days many surgeons are no longer doing the lapband so don't be surprised if they want you to get the sleeve or a bypass. You might not be able to get around getting tested for sleep apnea as many of the insurance companies require it.

If the gastric nurse says you may not be a candidate when insurance is saying you are, I would ask for an explanation. If there is more than one bariatric center in your area, you might want to shop around. Good luck to you!
I did ask and the nurse said I may not qualify because they wanted me to do a year of medical weight loss, which I've done before,, I offered to video tape me for a week ,I'm a perfect patient, even though my band doesn't work I stick to the diet, but I'm not loosing weight, I'm gaining,,,btw, menopause

Hello new here
As I know everyone journey is different, I'm looking at my second revision.
My journey start in 2004 with my first Lap band, it was amazing, losing 70 lbs, healthy happy, then it began failing in 2017,,
2019 many Drs felt I needed to go back and have my first revision to another lap band, fast forward, I've gained all my weight and more back, years ago had lumbar fusion, I can hardly move exceptionally or sleep with out pain, acid reflux, multiple medications, for aniexiety, possible sleep apnea, my regular Dr agreed why be tested and get a machine when the excessive weight is causing the issues,,a few more issues
Now my Dr and insurance say I'm a candidate for revision to rny
I'm ready ,not getting younger, please, I need help with this process, the gastric nurse says I may not be a candidate for them..
My regular Dr says I am, insurance says I am
HELP

I have had two revisions as well. Started with a Lap Band in 2013. Couple years in, found they had overfilled me and had some erosion and trouble eating or getting fluids. Revised to a VSG in 2015. Was not informed of the extremely high incidence of GERD/reflux with this revision option. A struggled with this becoming more severe, despite multiple medications and could barely eat again due to the reflux. Once I found that the GERD was creating issues with my esophagus, I had went for my revision to RNY. I wish I had done the RNY in the first place - I can eat real food, I feel healthier, I dropped weight again fast, although I was not obese any longer, I was not losing due to not being able to eat properly. Reputable surgeons won't even discuss doing a Lap Band any longer due to the rate of complications. In fact, in Sweden where they were invented, they are now outlawed. Revision to bypass is hard to help the insurance company understand, especially if your BMI is lower. The surgeon's office should be doing the work to be sure that they get a peer review (because you will be denied first round - they always do) and explain that the surgery is not for weight loss, but due to the reflux issues.

I have had two revisions as well. Started with a Lap Band in 2013. Couple years in, found they had overfilled me and had some erosion and trouble eating or getting fluids. Revised to a VSG in 2015. Was not informed of the extremely high incidence of GERD/reflux with this revision option. A struggled with this becoming more severe, despite multiple medications and could barely eat again due to the reflux. Once I found that the GERD was creating issues with my esophagus, I had went for my revision to RNY. I wish I had done the RNY in the first place - I can eat real food, I feel healthier, I dropped weight again fast, although I was not obese any longer, I was not losing due to not being able to eat properly. Reputable surgeons won't even discuss doing a Lap Band any longer due to the rate of complications. In fact, in Sweden where they were invented, they are now outlawed. Revision to bypass is hard to help the insurance company understand, especially if your BMI is lower. The surgeon's office should be doing the work to be sure that they get a peer review (because you will be denied first round - they always do) and explain that the surgery is not for weight loss, but due to the reflux issues.
Hi! I'm also doing a revision from my band in May. Curious how the pain was after surgery compared to band? My pain was pretty bad with band recovery, so I'm nervous! Also, where your port was, do they open that incision back up? Or do they pull the port out somewhere else? Thanks

For me they went in a different spot then where the port was. I wish I could say I remember if my lapband was less painful than the sleeve but I really don't remember. I didn't have severe gas pains with VSG so I am thinking it was pretty similar.

Back