• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 months out - 5 adjustments UGH

msgabrii

Surgery date 12/19/12 - I had my 2nd post-op fill the beginning of March and 1 each week after that....one of them where fluid was removed because I was vomiting. 2 weeks ago I had .6 cc put back in and was fine for about a week. Now I can't even take my meds without them getting stuck. I'm developing a serious aversion to food because everything I eat gets stuck. I'm exhausted and becoming doubtful about if I made the right choice in getting lap band surgery. Anyone else had this many adjustments? And is it normal?

Oh my goodness! I have a lapband and didn't get my first fill until about a month or maybe it was six weeks after surgery. What are they thinking! I started with it almost empty and the first fill was 4 cc's. After every fill you need to stay on clear liquids for two days, full liquids for two days, and then soft or "mushy" foods for two days. Fills should not be done every week, you need at least a month between fills and time to get used to the new amount of fluid. Twice I have gone in and they did not do a fill because they ask a series of questions and based on my answers they determined that I did not need one. I now have 8.1 cc's in my band and am doing very well. I am particularly tight in the mornings and therefore I do drink a shake. Remember you really have to chew chew chew, and sip sip sip. Do not drink anything 30 minutes prior to a meal or after the meal. When they do a fill it irritates the area under the band and by staying on the limited diet for six days you give it a chance for the swelling to go down. I love my bariatric center. Where are you located? This is my suggestion and you can do some searches and point out to whomever does your fills that they are way to frequent (in a tactful way of course). Is it a doctor, nurse, physician assistant? Do they ask you the serious questions prior to a fill? About how hungry you are? are you satisfied with small meals? how long does the feeling of fullness last after a meal? Any nausea, vomiting, or pain? That pain when something gets stuck is terrible and I hate the vomiting. It only happens to me when I do something stupid like eat too fast, don't chew my food good enough, too hot, too cold, and sometimes too spicy. Same thing for drinks, I can't gulp anymore. I just love my band and have been successful. Hang in there, I think you can make this a success with a little cooperation from your center. I can't believe they are doing fills every week. Mine are down from once a month to one every other month. And, no carbonated beverages either, I was so sorry I even tried, sick as a dog. Meds can be crushed and put in pudding or applesauce.

Thank you for that response! It was extremely helpful! I actually had my first fill not until February, so 2 months out. In March I was getting hungry WAY too soon. That's when the first fill was done. My surgeon does the fill, and under xray with a barium swallow. He does ask me a bunch of questions before the fill. Then I do the barium swallow under xray so he can see that the band is in place and how tight it is. Then he'll put some saline in and have me do the swallow again. Depending on how it moves, he'll add or remove some saline. Then, yes, after the fill I'm on liquids for 3 days and then mushies. So, after my fill at the beginning of March, I was having issues and he had me back in to check the band and see if it needed to be adjusted. When I did the swallow, the band was fine, but he said that since I was having symptoms of band tightness that he would take some saline out. Then over the next week again I was getting hungry about 1/2 hour right after eating. So at my 3 month post-op I mentioned this and he said that it's possible that the 1 cc he took out may have been too much and we would try about 1/2 cc back in. So that's the next one I had done 2 weeks ago. Over the next two weeks I was having problems again. So yesterday I went into the office and he took all the fluid out to let things settle down. That's when he explained to me that some people have a lot of swelling and run into this problem. I go in (the hospital under xray) for him to check the band to make sure everything's ok. Then he'll start over adding the fluid.
I'm glad that you mentioned about your band being tight in the morning ..... that could actually be the problem that starts it all for me!!!!! I usually take my meds in the morning as soon as I get up. I think I will have to move that out a few hours. As for the rest, yes, I do chew repeatedly and THEN chew more! I admit, I do forget about the sipping! So I believe your response actually helped me a lot. There were some small things that I do forget to do sometimes and now that I think about it, it could have been my fault that this happened. Thanks again for all of your help!! We'll see how things go today and I'll have to pay more attention moving forward. :)

Hi again,

I used to take my meds in the morning too. Now I have switched my schedule to no meds until Noon, and it has really helped. The nutritionist at my Center told us DO NOT replace a meal with a shake, but the Medical Assistant who also has a band told me her band was extremely tight in the mornings and to go ahead and have a shake for breakfast, and after I did that it worked much better. The PA does my fills - I wanted the doctor but he told me that the PA knew more about fills than he did and that really I would prefer the PA and he was right. My port is close to the surface and really easy to find so I don't need to do the x ray thing. Also, they sent the PA for special classes and he is really terrific. Just wait until you have to buy some new clothes and start feeling better! It will have all been worth it. Another trick I forget is to make my meals last at least twenty minutes and actually thirty is better. In my line of work (nursing) I used to eat on the run all the time and that was a hard habit to break. I can make a cup of yogurt last twenty minutes. My son has to remind me to slow down sometimes - he can tell from the look on my face that I am starting to hurt and he is usually right. Good luck, keep in touch, give that little pouch some rest and continue on this journey and get to feeling better. Joy

Back