• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 months post op, am I about to hit a plateau?

Lesa Marie

My weight loss last week was 1.4lbs and this week it was 1.8. Is this what happens right before you hit a stall? I actually haven’t lost any additional weight since I took an early peek last Friday to see if I was under 200lbs. So I thought that was weird. But for the whole week I did lose 1.8lbs. These are the lowest weeks I’ve seen since surgery. What was your sign that you were about to hit a plateau?

Are you weighing, measuring and journaling every crumb or sip or chew? in the traditional role behavior of wife, mother, chief cook and bottle-washer, women are sometimes perplexed because what they put on their plate shouldn't have put pounds on their hips.

But the one who does the cleanup might mindlessly nibble on crumbs left behind, just to clean up before washing dishes. No one wants to scrape a piece of steak into the garbage if the kid only took one bite of it.

It's an American problem. We have more than enough, compared to other nations. Even poor people (like me) often end up with vouchers and gift cards or on programs that augment food. If only there were programs to pay for vitamin and mineral supplements. The state of processed food in America is deplorable and healthy food costs a fortune.

Anyway, being vigilant about every bite makes a huge difference if you're puzzled about being stalled.

I'm only 6 weeks postop and I've already hit my first stall, but I started with a low BMI (it was 33 on day of surgery). I also lost 20 pounds in the first 3 weeks, so the stall was not unexpected in my case, so I did not get discouraged.

I also have not been able to get as much exercise as I would have liked because of low blood pressure issues. I have decided not to let that hold me back anymore though, and have started walking with my husband. We have to stop occasionally for me "balance", but the fresh air and exercise feels good.

Are you weighing, measuring and journaling every crumb or sip or chew? in the traditional role behavior of wife, mother, chief cook and bottle-washer, women are sometimes perplexed because what they put on their plate shouldn't have put pounds on their hips.

But the one who does the cleanup might mindlessly nibble on crumbs left behind, just to clean up before washing dishes. No one wants to scrape a piece of steak into the garbage if the kid only took one bite of it.

It's an American problem. We have more than enough, compared to other nations. Even poor people (like me) often end up with vouchers and gift cards or on programs that augment food. If only there were programs to pay for vitamin and mineral supplements. The state of processed food in America is deplorable and healthy food costs a fortune.

Anyway, being vigilant about every bite makes a huge difference if you're puzzled about being stalled.
Short answer is no, I refuse to weigh/measure anything (this was also advised by my nut). I eat so little that I highly doubt this is a food related issue (like over eating or eating high fat foods). I’ve also taught myself over the past month or so not to snack on those “crumbs” which was okay tough but got easier over time. I knew that losing 20lbs/month was only going to last so long lol but I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced slow progression like I am before they hit a stall. I know it’s going to happen and that many of us no matter how hard we try can’t get out of it for weeks. I do plan on picking up some exercise again (I stopped after seeing my weight loss come to a slow).

I'm only 6 weeks postop and I've already hit my first stall, but I started with a low BMI (it was 33 on day of surgery). I also lost 20 pounds in the first 3 weeks, so the stall was not unexpected in my case, so I did not get discouraged.

I also have not been able to get as much exercise as I would have liked because of low blood pressure issues. I have decided not to let that hold me back anymore though, and have started walking with my husband. We have to stop occasionally for me "balance", but the fresh air and exercise feels good.
Yes, I have heard of some women not even losing ANY weight the first weeks or even month after surgery. Crazy how different our bodies react to this surgery. I will be right there with you cause I plan to start exercising again which I’m excited about :)

I meant to write something about "starvation response," but then a semi-tractor-trailer got stuck on the hill outside my building FOR AN HOUR, jockeying, backing, police, flaggers, yelling, squealing like dying dolphins... And this happens once or twice a year.

I don't want to talk about it. Seattle is a city of hills and valleys. Seven neighborhoods have "hill" in their names--Capitol Hill, First Hill... oh I'm too tired to list all of them.

I don't remember my nutritionist talking about the way my body would react to sudden large weight losses, and I lost 35# in the first month, 25# the second, 15# the third... etc. Then I stalled at -75# and though I wasn't overeating, I was often sedentary, so my body went into starvation mode to protect me.

I stalled for a few months, then started mountain-hiking training. I literally put in 7 miles on a treadmill six days a week and it was still hard to lose a pound. This wasn't a "muscle weighs more than fat" thing. I've always been very muscular. This was just a stall my body was using to protect me.

I know how hard it is to accept this and to stay calm and just live through it, following your new, sensible eating guidelines. But you must do exactly that.

People who give up are the ones who regain. People who continued, understanding that this is a long road, and they didn't get fat overnight, so they won't get thin overnight, are the ones who succeed for the rest of their lives.

And at the risk of repeating myself ad nauseam, I lost 115 lb, I gained a little back because my body wanted me to, and then I stabilized and have been at the same healthy weight for 14 years.

Don't worry about stalls and don't predict that you're going into one because you only lost 1 or 2 lb. If you lost one or two pounds for a year that would be 50 to 100 lb in a year. That is a huge weight loss that only seems small if you're morbidly obese. It's more likely, and more healthy, to lose this way then if you burned off 50 lb a month like some people do the first month.

This made so much sense
I meant to write something about "starvation response," but then a semi-tractor-trailer got stuck on the hill outside my building FOR AN HOUR, jockeying, backing, police, flaggers, yelling, squealing like dying dolphins... And this happens once or twice a year.

I don't want to talk about it. Seattle is a city of hills and valleys. Seven neighborhoods have "hill" in their names--Capitol Hill, First Hill... oh I'm too tired to list all of them.

I don't remember my nutritionist talking about the way my body would react to sudden large weight losses, and I lost 35# in the first month, 25# the second, 15# the third... etc. Then I stalled at -75# and though I wasn't overeating, I was often sedentary, so my body went into starvation mode to protect me.

I stalled for a few months, then started mountain-hiking training. I literally put in 7 miles on a treadmill six days a week and it was still hard to lose a pound. This wasn't a "muscle weighs more than fat" thing. I've always been very muscular. This was just a stall my body was using to protect me.

I know how hard it is to accept this and to stay calm and just live through it, following your new, sensible eating guidelines. But you must do exactly that.

People who give up are the ones who regain. People who continued, understanding that this is a long road, and they didn't get fat overnight, so they won't get thin overnight, are the ones who succeed for the rest of their lives.

And at the risk of repeating myself ad nauseam, I lost 115 lb, I gained a little back because my body wanted me to, and then I stabilized and have been at the same healthy weight for 14 years.

Don't worry about stalls and don't predict that you're going into one because you only lost 1 or 2 lb. If you lost one or two pounds for a year that would be 50 to 100 lb in a year. That is a huge weight loss that only seems small if you're morbidly obese. It's more likely, and more healthy, to lose this way then if you burned off 50 lb a month like some people do the first month.
This makes a lot of sense, thank you for sharing. I definitely noticed my body going into starvation mode but after I stopped exercising 5-6 days a week I started losing double but now it’s going the opposite way so I think it’s time to change it up again and add back in some workouts :)

That's the ticket! Change, move, sit, sleep, run, do anything but repeat the exact thing over and over. "NORMAL" people don't remain static or run 5 miles when they gain or lose. the mind is powerful and needs to run without tight control. the mind isnt overweight. life moves ahead, then back, rests, runs. We think we need control. But our control is what got us here.

There isn't a reliable way to predict a stall or plateau. Continue to make good food, hydration, and activity choices, and good things will happen with time, regardless of how much or little the number on the scale moves. Our bodies are complex and don't always react the way we think they should. Keep on track with healthy choices regardless of a slow down or not is the important part.

It doesn't hurt to mix things up a little bit, but don't make any major changes just because you think things might be slowing down.

Wo
There isn't a reliable way to predict a stall or plateau. Continue to make good food, hydration, and activity choices, and good things will happen with time, regardless of how much or little the number on the scale moves. Our bodies are complex and don't always react the way we think they should. Keep on track with healthy choices regardless of a slow down or not is the important part.

It doesn't hurt to mix things up a little bit, but don't make any major changes just because you think things might be slowing down.
Wonderful advice, thank you :)

Back