• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 Years Post Op - Metabolism / Easting Struggles

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum here, like many that I've seen. My surgery was February 2019. My highest weight was 280 and I got down to 168 about a year post-surgery. I maintained that weight for quite a while, but like others here as well, I gradually put some weight back on and am in the 190 - 195 range right now and have kept that stead weight for about a year now. 175 is my goal weight, so I'm not super far off, but I'm really struggling with actually getting enough to eat. I cannot do protein shakes because the are literally too sweet and make me ill. When I focus on firm proteins I can still only get about 5 or 6 bites before I am full and starting to sneeze (my full indicator!). I'm pretty sure my metabolism is super slow because my caloric intake rarely exceeds 900 - 1000 calories. Looking for some ideas from you veterans on how you have dealt with similar issues so that I can boost my metab again. Note, I do 50 minutes of aggressive strength training 3 x week and do try to keep a clean diet already.

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum here, like many that I've seen. My surgery was February 2019. My highest weight was 280 and I got down to 168 about a year post-surgery. I maintained that weight for quite a while, but like others here as well, I gradually put some weight back on and am in the 190 - 195 range right now and have kept that stead weight for about a year now. 175 is my goal weight, so I'm not super far off, but I'm really struggling with actually getting enough to eat. I cannot do protein shakes because the are literally too sweet and make me ill. When I focus on firm proteins I can still only get about 5 or 6 bites before I am full and starting to sneeze (my full indicator!). I'm pretty sure my metabolism is super slow because my caloric intake rarely exceeds 900 - 1000 calories. Looking for some ideas from you veterans on how you have dealt with similar issues so that I can boost my metab again. Note, I do 50 minutes of aggressive strength training 3 x week and do try to keep a clean diet already.
Welcome, Griz. I actually have a friend in Canada who's real, given name is Griz.

I would actually lay off the aggressive strength training you're doing and just walk a few miles. That much walking shouldn't be difficult for you considering the effort you're putting into training with weights. And what you really need is a seriously aerobic movement program. I'm sure you can develop one for yourself and there are lots of tips on the internet, of course. Best of luck to you.

Back