• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

30-30-30

This is one of the things that people/surgeons/dietitians/programs differ on. I don’t eat for 30 minutes before and 1 hour after. That is my surgeons rule. If I have a lighter meal/snack I can wait 15 or 20 minutes, and I’ll feel fine drinking.

I didn't get any instructions on water 14 years ago. But I'm a big lover of water. The only beverage I love more is coffee, but I only have one cup per day.

I fill up smaller bottles with water and drink all day. That's my beverage. kind of embarrassing in a restaurant, but I stop the server before a glass of water ever hits the table top.

I have one suggestion that may help. Don't buy any other beverages, ever, except wine and beer for dinner accompaniments. Don't give yourself a choice.

Others doll up their water and you can find hundreds of posts and internet recipes. but i think that can backfire on you.

Getting enough water will always be a Top Ten topic here. It's almost as important as food.

Last edited:
Most of the published research I've read that recommends a drinking pattern like this doesn't really go into detail as to "why" it's recommended, but I'm still searching for more info because I'm curious. That being said, I feel that waiting 30 or so minutes after eating does help with satiation, but that is what I feel. I have no idea if other people feel that way, or not.

I have also read that not drinking immediately after a meal may help avoid stomach stretching since drinking too much too fast may fill up behind food. Again, I don't know if that is really accurate, but it seems possible.

Like anything, if you choose to follow it, after a while it becomes a habit and it's not really a big deal.

I'm not militant about it, especially drinking before a meal, but I usually, but not always, wait at least 30 after, but admittedly, sometimes it's more like 15-ish. If I do drink right after a meal I just sip a little bit. It can get uncomfortable really quick if you drink too much too quickly anytime, but especially after a meal. The experience can vary from person to person, of course.

Most of the published research I've read that recommends a drinking pattern like this doesn't really go into detail as to "why" it's recommended, but I'm still searching for more info because I'm curious. That being said, I feel that waiting 30 or so minutes after eating does help with satiation, but that is what I feel. I have no idea if other people feel that way, or not.

I have also read that not drinking immediately after a meal may help avoid stomach stretching since drinking too much too fast may fill up behind food. Again, I don't know if that is really accurate, but it seems possible.

Like anything, if you choose to follow it, after a while it becomes a habit and it's not really a big deal.

I'm not militant about it, especially drinking before a meal, but I usually, but not always, wait at least 30 after, but admittedly, sometimes it's more like 15-ish. If I do drink right after a meal I just sip a little bit. It can get uncomfortable really quick if you drink too much too quickly anytime, but especially after a meal. The experience can vary from person to person, of course.
I was told by my doctor that the reason for waiting 30 min to drink after eating is so that your body has time to stay full longer because as soon as you start drinking fluids it starts washing through your system.

I was told the wait 30 rule is because you have limited space in your pouch and need to make sure that you have enough space at meal times to get all your nutrients in. Think of it this way: if you have a bowl that holds 8oz and you fill it with 4oz of water, you only have 4oz of space left. That being said, I don't always follow this rule. I have noticed that if I drink too soon after a heavier meal it will make me uncomfortably full.

I try to do the 30-30 thing and I usually do when I’m at home . When I go out to eat usually on weekends I have a glass or two of unsweetened iced tea with my meals and it doesn’t bother me. At home though I wait 20 to 30 minutes to drink anything after eating.

A long time ago I researched stomach stretching. It is, simply, BS.

It's just as hard to stretch an organ as to shrink it. If we could shrink our stomachs, we'd be thin, wouldnt we?

This myth is just one of the many lies we tell ourselves to keep eating at our warped discretion.

Weigh your food. Measure your food. Track your eating. Schedule your expenditures of motion. Look in the mirror. Make sure your clothes fit right. Everything you do, be aware.

Make a habit of staying hydrated by drinking all day. Don't set yourself up to fail by confronting yourself with a goal that might be too hard. Sip, enjoy, remind yourself how many benefits your body gets from water.

Its about BALANCE, not hitting little arbitrary goals. Relax. Feel normal, because you're no different than your skinny neighbor.

Allow your food intake to be ordinary, not an accomplishment. There's much more in your life to deal with.

Last edited:
I have my 1st follow appt tomorrow, and one of my questions was gonna be should I do the 30-30-30 for the rest of my life? I don't mind, it's just that it takes about 2 1/2 hours to drink/sip on a 16 oz bottle of water (1 hr) + the 30-30-30 mealtime (1 1/2 hrs).

Attachments

• 20200611_185201.jpg
    20200611_185201.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 41
You look amazing Diane and you’re right on point about just trying to be normal . I’m not so sure about the stomach stretching either even though it feels like it sometimes after I eat but it’s probably mostly of what I ate and how fast I ate it because I seem to be one of those fast eaters that hasn’t lear to slow down yet . I’ve always just chowed down my food and my wife keeps reminding me to slow down and chew

My dr said the 30 30 rule is to be able to digest your foods. Especially after, he says it flushes your meal and you don’t get the nutrients from the food. Before the meal is to have your stomach ready for the food you are eating. How scientific this is I have no idea. But that was the logic I was hiven

Thank you, Bill! Im always aware I could gain it all back if I don't practice vigilance. But I've never been happier in my life than when I was post-op and felt like I blended into the crowd. I have very few photos of my fat self because I wouldn't allow anyone to photograph me. I'm glad I have that one above. It allows me to share with this group that YOU CAN DO IT!! And i had no awareness that i was obese, so I keep it around.

Back