• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

33 days out and puke when I eat

I am 33 days post op and started soft foods this week per team, because I was not getting enough calories. I started 'trying' to eat but I can only get in 2 teaspoons of food, anything more causes me to feel sick and puke. I have an appointment in 2 weeks just curious if anyone else experienced this? I can drink a half of fairlife shake at once but only 2 teaspoons of food at a time. I still am not getting 350 calories a day. It may be normal, I just wanted to ask for similarities to my situation and a possible way around it.

You should be monitored regularly by your medical team. There's an anti-nausea medication I took and can't remember its name, but it worked. This is a medical question so we really can't offer much, but I know you're just asking about shared experience, not a solution. But I feel comfortable saying this is serious, after going on for so many weeks. It's a good question to bring up and maybe someone else shares your problem. But your first call should be to your doctor. Obviously you've already spoken to your team, but you need to make a phone call before your next appointment.

Call your surgeon. They have meds for nausea that can help you. Also, a serving size should be about 2 tablespoons when you start soft food. Which is more than 2tsp. for sure, but not what anyone would likely think of as a normal serving size. So you're not as far off as you think.

Also, make sure you are really, really chewing your food down to puree consistency.

Hi, I would stick with eating applesauce, yogurt, oatmeal, and protein shakes and slowly work your way toward trying other foods. I am 3 months out and still have some days where I feel nauseous, in which case I take anti nausea medication. You may want to ask your doctor to prescribe that for you to help you. I hope you start feeling better soon!!

Mam is right. You might want to ask for anti-nausea Rx medication, for sure. And my post-op plan was very specific, listing what foods I should eat going from liquid to soft to semi-solid to solid over a long period of time.

I've posted a recipe for Magic Milk here. My nutritionist gave it to me. Instead of cooking creamed soups or cereals in water and adding milk, I cooked them in the Magic Milk. It gives you twice as much protein and tastes really good. It's also a great base for smoothies.

Thanks everyone. I guess I did not type clearly and yes only wanting similarities not medical advice. I have not been sick the whole time just began soft foods and had been getting sick since. I am sure my issue was meat loaf. I eat other things fine but have tried meatloaf three times and each time I puke right after. I am assuming something to do with the acid from ketchup or something. Just staying away from meatloaf for a bit.

Hi Beachbound, I think the issue might be that you tried eating meatlof too early. My surgeon's office gave me a booklet outlining exactly what I could eat at each phase (spread out over 6 weeks) and I don't recall meatloaf being in the 30 day phase. Red meat is difficult to process compared to seafood or even chicken. I still have occasional problems with chicken and am 3 months out from surgery, so I've been avoiding it until I'm at 4 months out and then I will retry it. If you ever feel nauseous I would recommend asking your doctor to have some anti nausea medication on hand, that helps me when I need it. It could also be you ate too much meatloaf, I know I am still working at trying to find that "full enough" balance so I don't feel overstuffed after eating. It's definitely a trial and error process because we all react differently to different foods. For example, I thought bread would be off my menu for at least 6 to 9 months, but I can eat a small roll (not every day though) and feel okay. But others on here have a lot of difficulty consuming bread. I hope you feel better and get "sick" less! Best wishes, Maryann

You’re eating too much. Two tablespoons or less is about right. Serve yourself then cut the portion in half then in half again, that’s about what you should eat and you won’t puke or feel uncomfortable. For instance a regular soft taco cut it in half then cut the half again , eating about a quarter taco is about right chew slowly and in slow bites. Do not wash down with liquid save that for later after the quarter taco had gone down and you have room for some liquid.

Mam is right. You might want to ask for anti-nausea Rx medication, for sure. And my post-op plan was very specific, listing what foods I should eat going from liquid to soft to semi-solid to solid over a long period of time.

I've posted a recipe for Magic Milk here. My nutritionist gave it to me. Instead of cooking creamed soups or cereals in water and adding milk, I cooked them in the Magic Milk. It gives you twice as much protein and tastes really good. It's also a great base for smoothies.

Hi Dianne, I don’t see the Magic Milk recipe. Where is it posted?

Copied from one of Diane's magic milk recipe posts.

BTW if you go to the recipe forum, use the search bar click this forum only on the left, you won't get every mention of your topic in every forum. Saves a LOT of scrolling!!

Magic Milk: I always make it by putting one packet of Milkman dried milk powder into one quart of nonfat milk. I blend it until it is smooth and then I use it instead of water when I make soups or cereals.

Heres the link if you want to read the nutritional information, as well as a comparison to protein shakes.

Back