• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

4 days post op

had surgery on wed. burping that hurts, how long will this go on. no pain in the incision sites or stomach. just this burping everytime I take a sip. can only get down one bottle of water and vitamins in a day. the burping is terrible will it ever end.

had surgery on wed. burping that hurts, how long will this go on. no pain in the incision sites or stomach. just this burping everytime I take a sip. can only get down one bottle of water and vitamins in a day. the burping is terrible will it ever end.

Yes I know about the burping. It happens. Do your best to keep air from getting in. One of the main ways to do this is buy a good sippy cup. I just got my Camelbak sippy cup which has a bite valve on it. This is supposed to minimize the amount of air that gets into you when drinking liquids.

Secondly, you have to drink slowly. When I came home the guideline was one ounce of liquid every 15 minutes and each ounce should take about 3 sips. What we all do is drink way too fast. See if you can stretch out 8 ounces of liquid over an hour. Small sips and stop. Small sips and stop. The burping will be lessened in this way as well.

Best wishes,

Ralph

You really should run taking Gas-X by your surgeons nurse....

There is a BIG difference between what an R-N-Y / Gastric by pass patient can take and what a Sleeve patient can take.

I'd hate to see you have issues.

What works for a sleeve can seriously damage a gastric bypass pouch.

I have a list of seriously no-no take OTC and prescription medications.

gasx

thanks for telling me about gas x. it is on the safe list of medications for rny and they help me considerably. but still need to know how long does this discomforting burping go on? days weeks months? this is the only problem I have, but it is terrible uncomfortable and its hard to get any fluid in, I am now 5 days post op and still only 20 oz. of water in. please tell me when this will end or if it doesn't end.

Back