• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

4 months post op update

Loops

Hello everyone,

I'm very please with my progress, but this is definitely been a journey. From my starting weight at 310 to my current weight of 243. I can't begin to mention my excitement once I was down to 250 a number I hadn't seen in so long. I still have problems with my protein intake as well as getting enough liquids. I have learned fake sugars are not my friends. I was drinking crystal light and that did not sit well with my stomach. I became more dehydrated my the constant stomach spasms. So fair warning to any new people beware of fake sugars. I do try to limit my carbs and have more protein with each meal, but some days I can barely get three bites before I'm full. I make myself have a meal and incorporated shakes back in for the days I get too busy. I hope everyone else is having a wonderful journey.

Hello!
Thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations on your weight loss! Bariatric surgery is definitely a journey, but well worth it on my opinion.
Artificial sweeteners are indeed quite a controversial topic, for many reasons. My doctor advises against them, and has told me I need to train myself to enjoy flavors as they come, because it’s easy to become used to the sweetness in a way that leads to added sugars abuse. Bariatric patients need to be extra careful with liquid calories, which are the most insidious of them all, and abundant in sweet drinks. They have no nutritional value to speak of.
Have you decided on giving up sweeteners altogether? I admit I have a teaspoon of sugar every day on my coffee or tea. It’s just such a happy moment to me. I have respected that limit so far, but honestly should be considering on quitting it. My doctor said it’s okay to add a little sugar every now and then, but did advise against it in general. Moderation is key, but so hard to actually find.

This is so timely, considering that in the last few days the government has suddenly flip-flopped on artificial sweeteners! You just don't know who to trust sometimes.

I bought a huge box (restaurant size) of Splenda years ago and it just never seems to go away. I regret buying it as time goes on. I've really been thinking I'd like to work toward no-additive foods, like I used to eat when I was a vegetarian. As Alice's doctor says, "train yourself to enjoy flavors as they come." That's how people have eaten since the dawn of time. In the last two centuries food has become so polluted.

It really doesn't surprise me how common eating disorders have become, considering how many chemicals we eat and the excessive amounts of salty and sweet additives we use.

One change I made a while back is I decided to stop drinking diet soda, ever, period. If I want a soda, I have a soda, warts and all. This restriction has really helped, believe it or not. I just don't desire soda very often at all. I have always enjoyed really clean spring water, and I think it tastes even better if you don't offset it with soda or whatever.

Hello everyone,

I'm very please with my progress, but this is definitely been a journey. From my starting weight at 310 to my current weight of 243. I can't begin to mention my excitement once I was down to 250 a number I hadn't seen in so long. I still have problems with my protein intake as well as getting enough liquids. I have learned fake sugars are not my friends. I was drinking crystal light and that did not sit well with my stomach. I became more dehydrated my the constant stomach spasms. So fair warning to any new people beware of fake sugars. I do try to limit my carbs and have more protein with each meal, but some days I can barely get three bites before I'm full. I make myself have a meal and incorporated shakes back in for the days I get too busy. I hope everyone else is having a wonderful journey.
I don't have trouble with sweeteners but I am using one called sucralose that I order online.

Back