• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

4 weeks out from BPD

Robbi

I am having a really hard time with regular foods. Still unable to eat meat. Doing very well with protein drinks, apple sauce and yogurt but that's about all. Anything else gets stuck. Causes severe gas that cant be passed. Any suggestions?

Sounds like me. I am 4 weeks out. I can't eat meat at all. I can eat cottage cheese, and string cheese. I have tried taking gas-x but it didn't do the job. I was told to keep eating what I could and to give it time. How much time, I don't know. I am doing good except for moving on to more food choices.

It took me 7 months to eat meat again, 4 weeks is pretty early in the process. Dairy may also give you a hard time right now. The soft foods your on are great though! I would try out the harder to digest foods every 3 to 4 weeks to see if you can tolerate them, but it does take time to get back into being able to eat normal foods. Patience isn't really a virtue when you wanna eat good food! Congrats on your surgery :)

After about 2 months I could eat steak and pork, but even now, 15 months out, I still have difficulties with ground beef for some reason. Like Pixx said, just give it some time. I wasn’t even allowed meat at 4 weeks except for chicken and tuna. I think that was a good thing.

Sounds like me. I am 4 weeks out. I can't eat meat at all. I can eat cottage cheese, and string cheese. I have tried taking gas-x but it didn't do the job. I was told to keep eating what I could and to give it time. How much time, I don't know. I am doing good except for moving on to more food choices.
I'm nine months post op. I still have trouble with meat I can eat about 2 and no more than 2.5 ounces at a time. So I still have one protein shake a day. But I'm very happy I'm only 6 lbs from reaching my goal weight. So to me it's all worth it.

Back