• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

48 days post op

Aleighc90

Hello all. i have a question, has anyone struggled with regurgitation after eating? i have been following the portion sizes, but sometimes (about 50% of the time) after eating i feel very nauseated and end up regurgitating some of the food.
i dont say vomit cause im not actually throwing up just spitting out bits of food. any suggestions?

Did you have the sleeve? It could be reflux. I suggest checking with your surgical team. Also, try eating a tablespoon less than the serving sizes, until it stops coming back up. Sometimes the serving size they suggest is still too much for us early out. Good luck.

I still have some foods that just don’t want to cooperate and go down, like chicken if it’s too dry. I’ll eat smaller portions or slow down significantly when eating, focusing on chewing it to a pulp, haha! Or, just avoid it.

I was told to train my chewing before I even had surgery. It's been suggested for a long time that we should chew our food 30 times before swallowing, but when I counted, sometimes I was swallowing after five chews. Trying to chew more times was very difficult, but it sure makes a profound difference in the speed with which we lose weight. It's worth training yourself.

It also makes it a lot harder to regurgitate, because as you chew, you salivate, and food naturally slides out of the mouth into the esophagus and down, with great ease, into the stomach.

I would say it's a good idea to avoid foods that make you upchuck on a regular basis. Your goal is to take in as much nutrition and protein as you can, so it's important that it doesn't come back up. You may be able to tolerate those same foods later, when your weight has gone down, but your immediate post-op diet should be composed of foods you like and can tolerate.

I was told to train my chewing before I even had surgery. It's been suggested for a long time that we should chew our food 30 times before swallowing, but when I counted, sometimes I was swallowing after five chews. Trying to chew more times was very difficult, but it sure makes a profound difference in the speed with which we lose weight. It's worth training yourself.

It also makes it a lot harder to regurgitate, because as you chew, you salivate, and food naturally slides out of the mouth into the esophagus and down, with great ease, into the stomach.

I would say it's a good idea to avoid foods that make you upchuck on a regular basis. Your goal is to take in as much nutrition and protein as you can, so it's important that it doesn't come back up. You may be able to tolerate those same foods later, when your weight has gone down, but your immediate post-op diet should be composed of foods you like and can tolerate.
thank you. i was told chew 17 times. but sometimes my mind just goes back to old habits. i will try to chew 30 times with my next meal.

Back