• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 Days after gastric bypass could use advice

ang843

Hey Everybody I just had my surgery on October 28, 2014. My highest weight was 401. I got down to 384 by the time I had my surgery. Im five days out now. I actually had surgery in mexico. I know scary right. It actually went really awesome and Im happy that Ive done it. I have no insurance and everything was done for around 10 grand that I can make monthly payments. This is why I went to mexico. I can always email or call my doctors I had a whole team there. The problem is I pretty much will move myself along in each step of eating. So what Im really needing here if anyone has anything to offer in tips. The first week Im suppose to just have liquid no cream of soup strained or jello or protein drinks that is my week two then Im allowed to eat like the eggs and oatmeal. I would love to be told what things everybody ate in each phase that's the most important to me. I also feel hungry which I know is in my head and I need to keep myself busy. So if everyone can help with foods and tips that would be great.

hello Ang843, I did two weeks of protein and water and then i went to soft food for two weeks and after that i went to regular food, just take it slow and try foods one at a time to make sure your tummy can handle it, as for me i can eat pretty much anything but i stay away from any sugar and pasta and bread. I don't everr feel hungry and i just eat three meals aday very small meals dont be surprized if you can only eat a couple of bites, when i burp i quit eatting my body tells me i had enough. good luck on your journey i am loving mine! Denise

Hey Everybody I just had my surgery on October 28, 2014. My highest weight was 401. I got down to 384 by the time I had my surgery. Im five days out now. I actually had surgery in mexico. I know scary right. It actually went really awesome and Im happy that Ive done it. I have no insurance and everything was done for around 10 grand that I can make monthly payments. This is why I went to mexico. I can always email or call my doctors I had a whole team there. The problem is I pretty much will move myself along in each step of eating. So what Im really needing here if anyone has anything to offer in tips. The first week Im suppose to just have liquid no cream of soup strained or jello or protein drinks that is my week two then Im allowed to eat like the eggs and oatmeal. I would love to be told what things everybody ate in each phase that's the most important to me. I also feel hungry which I know is in my head and I need to keep myself busy. So if everyone can help with foods and tips that would be great.

Hi Ang843.. WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Be careful that you don't stretch your new size tummy out because you don't want your stomach fluid to leak out into your abdomen, that can be life threatening. It takes about 3 weeks to heal fully.

The first week after surgery I was given cramberry juice, jello in a thimble size medicine cup and boullion soup in a very small bowl 3 times a day. I ate very little of it I had no appitite at all. My surgeon kept me on IV's and in the hospital for a week. I was sent home the afternoon of the 7 th day. The following day after being released was the start of my 2nd week. I could eat scrambled eggs, cottage cheese and applesauce along with my first week menu. I could also have protein drinks and Crystal Light. The 3rd week I could have 2 crackers and tuna or salmon mixed with mayo or miracle whip plus any condiments that I wanted. I could have white fish cooked flakey and tender. I also could have a tablespoon of mashed potatoes. 4th wk I added sweet potatoes and baked potatoes in tiny amounts. I would cook a potato and slice it into about 6 slices and eat a slice at each meal. I could have a little piece of banana, and I always ate fish, either tuna, salmon or white fish cooked tender. At 7 weeks I was allowed to add chicken, ham, and beef and salads and fruit. I could eat anything in moderation. At that point in time I was eating about 2 - 3 tablespoons of food total for the whole meal. My new sized tummy held only 2 ounces in the beginning. It gradually stretches a little so you can eat about 1/2 a cup over time.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!

Cheyenne :cool:

Cheyenne, I am surprised that your Dr. let you eat crackers and potato that early.

It's quite amazing that different Surgeons have such different rules. I talked to one person who's surgeon didn't let her have potatoes for 6 month. Another person wasn't allowed ANY carbs at all for the first 9 months. Every surgeon is different.

My surgeon prides himself that he attends the international bariatric symposium (I forget the exact name of it) every year with the most up to date information on the newest surgery techniques and diet recommendations. He only does bariatric surgery, it's his one and only specialty. He has performed over 2000 bariatric surgeries and never lost a single patient. He told me crackers crumble and go down pretty easy if you chew well but bread balls up and was not allowed at first. It was true for me, I couldn't eat bread at all for a year after surgery or I would gag and throw up instantly. After 7 wks all food was allowed in tiny amounts but I will tell you after the first couple of months and my tummy was healed I personally centered my diet around my protein ( meat, fish and eggs) with green beans and stewed tomatoes as my vegetables because they are so nutritious and have so little calories. I was on a mission to drop as much weight as possible as fast as I could. I mainly ate soft potatoes and crackers in the beginning when I first started eating solid food again because those foods were on my menu as safe foods to eat so as not to mess up my new pouch. My surgeon also took away the protein shakes after 3 months, which is very unusual I think. He said many people drink their shakes and then are still hungry and eat too.. which doubles their calories and sabotages their weight loss. He prefers that his patients eat nutritious high protein meals.

I think it's best to trust in one's own surgeon, but do extensive investigation on them before picking them out. Make sure you feel they are worthy of your trust. The surgeon should be a Bariatric Surgeon of Excellence. And the hospital should be a Bariatric Hospital of Excellence. If not rated as such a person's odds of having serious problems is significantly higher.

Cheyenne

Cheyenne, I am surprised that your Dr. let you eat crackers and potato that early.

By the way, Mem how is your weight coming along? How much weight have you lost? You had surgery in December I think. Are you feeling good?

Cheyenne

It has been said.

Go slowly. The first couple of weeks is shakes then pureed food.

By around week 4 soft solid foods such as ONE egg for breakfast. That is about all you can consume and should not try to consume more. If you need more than three meals to get your protein in by all means have 4 or 5 or even 6 mini meals, protein first always. In the early go probably just protein. Yes, try some friendly carbs as have been suggested above. Bread can be difficult. I know a few veggies and I mean a few such as two stalks of asparagus was all I could take. The burps followed. The burps are a signal that you are already full so Stop when you feel the burps coming on.

I am 1 year 5 months post op now well almost. 2 eggs and a piece of toast is a HUGE breakfast for me. Don't stretch your stomach. Don't push it Keep it small. This is the key to long term success.

I still do not get hungry. Yes, I enjoy many more things now in terms of foods, even goodies, I know I know everyone says you cannot do goodies anymore, well I do and I keep it within my daily limits of calories, carbs and protein. Sometimes a bit more but then I make up for it in days following. Maintenance is forever. Never too much at one meal (now how many times have I said that already???) keep your weight in check within a couple pounds of your goal weight and take immediate action if you see your weight creep up a little (2 pounds or so).

cheyene,
I am doing great! I've lost 49 lbs and I feel soooo much better. I couldn't be happier. it doesn't feel like a diet, it was just a lifechange. Would recommend it to anyone!
Thanks for asking.

cheyene,
I am doing great! I've lost 49 lbs and I feel soooo much better. I couldn't be happier. it doesn't feel like a diet, it was just a lifechange. Would recommend it to anyone!
Thanks for asking.

Congratulations! Glad you are doing great! It does feel so good to be losing weight the healthy way :)

Back