• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 days post sleeve, still in hospital

I'm so sorry this is going on and that that particular doctor should have his license yanked. You may have encountered someone who is biased against fat people. i think we've all encountered this sort of bigotry. I can't forget the day I was crossing the street in a hick town (Ellensburg, avoid it if you can) and the boys in the car all started mooooooing and barking at me and laughing their asses off. So, this caliber of man is in for a long, unhappy life. I, on the other hand, put the pain to good use and got RYGB surgery. A few years after this happened, I was working in an engineering group as their technical writer and I told this story to one of the engineers, who happened to be from Ellensburg. He laughed and said, "You know what those guys say, like, "Honest, I was just helping that sheep get over the fence!"

I never looked twice at a redneck again without imagining him alone with a sheep in the dark...

I also think it's probably difficult to do such an invasive surgery when there is so much of the fat effect in charge. I think that's why some surgeons go into the bariatric field exclusively. They know they are up to the challenge and they legitimately care about you and your health.

This too shall pass. You're strong and determined. I know the best is yet to come.

I'm so sorry this is going on and that that particular doctor should have his license yanked. You may have encountered someone who is biased against fat people. i think we've all encountered this sort of bigotry. I can't forget the day I was crossing the street in a hick town (Ellensburg, avoid it if you can) and the boys in the car all started mooooooing and barking at me and laughing their asses off. So, this caliber of man is in for a long, unhappy life. I, on the other hand, put the pain to good use and got RYGB surgery. A few years after this happened, I was working in an engineering group as their technical writer and I told this story to one of the engineers, who happened to be from Ellensburg. He laughed and said, "You know what those guys say, like, "Honest, I was just helping that sheep get over the fence!"

I never looked twice at a redneck again without imagining him alone with a sheep in the dark...

I also think it's probably difficult to do such an invasive surgery when there is so much of the fat effect in charge. I think that's why some surgeons go into the bariatric field exclusively. They know they are up to the challenge and they legitimately care about you and your health.

This too shall pass. You're strong and determined. I know the best is yet to come.

Oh my gosh, the sheep in the dark. hahaha. Kinda sounds like some people I grew up with.
This crazy Dr should be no where near the human body. I grilled my surgeon about who exactly would be in the room during my surgery. I was so scared this crazy Dr would be involved.
I agree with the fat people bias.
Honestly, that was one of the many reasons I choose the surgery route. I felt more than once that if I had a health ailment, I was looked at as "fat chick who needs to stop being lazy and exercise and my problems would disappear." Because I never thought of that........ :rolleyes:

Had the sleeve done July 20th. I had major trouble, ended up in ICU & getting blood transfusions & the surgeon had to go back in on July 22. I’m so incredibly lucky that I had a nurse who was good, he was my guardian angel. It turned out there was a leak. The blood was leaking out and then clotting. I was in so much pain, couldn’t breathe, blood pressure 76/54. I really thought I was going to die. I was praying out loud and begging God to save me. I’m finally out of ICU & feeling stronger today. Took a shower & a poop. (The things you take for granted!!). Nurses are the most amazing people in the world. Seriously. It really hurts to swallow and I have a lot of pain in my left clavicle area. Still have a drain in. My hair is falling out. I’m not trying to be. Debbie downer but I’m feeling defeated like I made the biggest mistake of my life. All the Drs that come see me Say they are amazed how far I’ve come in a few days. I feel like a failure. Did anyone have an experience like this??

Praying for you to make a full and speedy recovery. ☀ You got this

Nurses are the most amazing people in the world. Seriously.

This story about your guardian angel brought back a memory I have to share. After surgery, I was kept in the post-op recovery area for a long time. They didn't have an empty room for me. Finally this male nurse came to get me and wheeled me to my destination. He was kind of snippy and aloof but I didn't really care. I was starting to feel really bad and needed to get hooked up to a morphine pump fast.

As we entered a room, another nurse was leaving the room. She stopped and chatted with my nurse and my wheelchair was a foot or two away from the bed. I felt sick and really thirsty. I sort of croaked "I'm thirsty," but this nurse didn't even look at me. Instead, he grabbed a cup and pitcher of water and without breaking a step, handed them to me, still gossiping with his friend.

I actually didn't know better and I took too much water in to fit my new stomach. I felt like I was going to throw up and turned to him again and said, "I'm gonna throw up," and he just kinda shushed me. The next thing I knew, I was projectile vomiting water and bile all over his nice clean uniform. Couldn't help it. He was in the way. He could have handed me an emesis basin instead of shushing me but he was just not a good nurse.

He was furious with me for vomiting on him. The other nurse scurried out of the room, I think to get housekeeping. This jerk bitched at me but at least he finally got me into a bed and hooked me up to fluids and pain meds.

I really can't call that anything but poetic justice.

I agree about nurses and their value. I also would rather been taken care of by an intern or resident or an ARNP than a doctor a lot of the time. They're closer to their training, still fresh and willing to learn and share.

Sunshine, I hope you're getting better attention now, but it sounds like you're not out of the woods yet. I hope to god you are being cared for by a decent doctor. How ya feelin?

Back