• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 months post op

PamW

I’m 5 months post op and I’m still having a VERY hard time eating and keeping food down. I eat very little and very slowly. No liquids before, during or after meals either.
I sip on a protein shake throughout the day to get in my 65g of protein. But food is going to be the death of me!! Any thoughts or ideas? HELP!!
Thanks!

I am sorry to hear you are having such problems. Of course the first thing I would suggest is speaking to your surgical team. There may be an issue that needs medical attention. If they give you the all clear,

I would ask: Is it all food that you have a hard time with? Are you eating too fast? It might be a good idea to go back through the post op dietary phases for a few weeks to see if you can adjust to foods better now that you're further out. You might try 1 week liquid, 1 week puree, 1 week soft then back to full foods. But again, check with your team first.

Excellent advice Missy. Definitely check it out with your bariatric team to make sure all is okay. I hope they can give you some good advice.
Which surgery did you have Pam?

In addition to what Missy said, I would keep a journal on what and when you eat and make notes of how you feel afterwards. It might give clues that your doctor will find useful in figuring this all out.

Good luck and feel better!

Back