• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 days post op pain

Shugamama

Im 6days post op from sleeve and have my first follow up appointment later today. All night I was up walking and walking because this pain is sharp and all of a sudden and wraps around my back both sides but a bit more on the left side. Idk why I have this pain or what it could be. Is it gas pain? I rub my belly starting at my sternum. Hoping it can easy the pain. Plus pacing around my room walking around in circles. But I swear this feels like it’s burning or something. Also I can’t sit down in a chair or desk chair because I feel like my stomach is pulling forward. So the only way I can sit is buy leaning backwards. Even when I go to the restroom I have to hold my stomach and lean back. Is this normal?

Pain is your body trying to tell you something. Pain means "call your doctor." We've all experienced pain. I don't think people are informed adequately about how painful gas can be as it tries to stab its way out of your body.

But NEVER diagnose yourself, based on "asking around." The time you spend looking for an answer may result in you spending time in urgent care, or the ER.

Call your surgeon first. Allow a physician to lay hands on you. They expect panic, stupid questions, confusion. But in that morass they pick up clues, and the 12 years a doc spends in college, med school, internsips, etc, ain't a beauty contest.

Please tell me you called your doc, then came here to ask questions while waiting.

NEVER ignore pain, even if you expect it.

This group is not meant to diagnose as we are not doctors, so I agree with Diane and I hope you have already called the doctor by now.

But we are here to support you and encourage you. If your doctor says this is normal pain from healing, then you will get better with each day that passes. If it is something else, best to know that by getting it checked out. I wish you all the best and hope you feel better.

P.s.: you should be wearing an elastic / neoprene abdominal binder. If the hospital didn't send you home with one, you can find an assortment at hardware and sporting goods stores.
Yes yes yes I totally forgot about the abdominal binder. I wore mine the 1st several days after surgery even though my gas pain was virtually nonexistent. It did support me as I began my hallway walking and really seemed to help.

Shugamama, hopefully your medical team will be able to reassure you about your pain symptoms. Good luck!

Pain is your body trying to tell you something. Pain means "call your doctor." We've all experienced pain. I don't think people are informed adequately about how painful gas can be as it tries to stab its way out of your body.

But NEVER diagnose yourself, based on "asking around." The time you spend looking for an answer may result in you spending time in urgent care, or the ER.

Call your surgeon first. Allow a physician to lay hands on you. They expect panic, stupid questions, confusion. But in that morass they pick up clues, and the 12 years a doc spends in college, med school, internsips, etc, ain't a beauty contest.

Please tell me you called your doc, then came here to ask questions while waiting.

NEVER ignore pain, even if you expect it.

Yes, I had contacted the surgeon and was waiting on a call back when I posted the question. The surgeon has ordered medication. He also said I’m not getting enough protein. I do try to get as much as I can but I’m not succeeding in the fluids nor protein. I’m trying to add more timers now. It seems like it’s an all day sip sip sip. Thank you all for the responses. I greatly appreciate it.

Shug, there are protein-dense products you can stomach--some food, some non-food. It's really important to reach your protein goal post-op, though most people struggle.

If you like turkey, which has 8g protein per ounce, you can blend a few ounces with gravy mix and Magic Milk, liquid it in the blender, then mash in some cranberry sauce or sugar-free raspberry jam. Eat with instant mashed potatoes & more gravy, very slowly as if it were soup. This combo has 30 to 50g of protein, depending on the ingredients. And it's the best thing I ever ate, post-op.

Members, what are your favorite delicious soft/pureed entrees?

It's very hard to get all your protein and liquids in those first few weeks. Try to find some really high protein drinks. Isopure Zero Carb makes a clear protein that has 40g of protein per 20oz bottle (GNC or you can get the powdered version anywhere and DIY). For me, there was no way I was going to be able to drink enough ounces to get in 80 protein with 15g per 20oz bottle, which is what most clear proteins have. Also, the clear protein is a little easier to stomach the first few weeks.
I am 1000% with Diane on the abdominal binder. I wore mine all the time .. even sleeping. It holds all those painful bits in place, which helps SO MUCH with pain during any type of movement. Good luck.

Wow I never got an abdominal binder. I don't know where I have been I never knew about them.
You missed out! They gave me one at the hospital and I bought an extra when I got home, so I could wash one and wear the other. I healed with very little pain, as in I wasn't sent home with pain killers and I attribute that mostly to the binder. It really keeps everything from jiggling. And jiggle is pain when you've got rearranged insides.

Shug, there are protein-dense products you can stomach--some food, some non-food. It's really important to reach your protein goal post-op, though most people struggle.

If you like turkey, which has 8g protein per ounce, you can blend a few ounces with gravy mix and Magic Milk, liquid it in the blender, then mash in some cranberry sauce or sugar-free raspberry jam. Eat with instant mashed potatoes & more gravy, very slowly as if it were soup. This combo has 30 to 50g of protein, depending on the ingredients. And it's the best thing I ever ate, post-op.

Members, what are your favorite delicious soft/pureed entrees?
Thank you. This sounds good. I will have to try this once I move pass my liquid phase which I have another week.

Back