• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 Month Post-op

Brenda2010

Hi everyone,

Have my 6 month post-op appointment today, I can't believe how fast the time went. I'm feeling great but I have hit my first real plateau. Last week I was actually up a pound and this week, no loss. :(

I'm trying to stay positive and remind myself that my body is trying to settle into this new weight. I hit my original goal of loosing 100 pounds fairly quickly and I need to be thrilled with that victory, even if I never reach my final goal of a "normal" BMI.

Thanks for letting me vent guys and have a wonderful Friday.

Hi everyone,

Have my 6 month post-op appointment today, I can't believe how fast the time went. I'm feeling great but I have hit my first real plateau. Last week I was actually up a pound and this week, no loss. :(

I'm trying to stay positive and remind myself that my body is trying to settle into this new weight. I hit my original goal of loosing 100 pounds fairly quickly and I need to be thrilled with that victory, even if I never reach my final goal of a "normal" BMI.

Brenda, you have done so fantastically well, and you look amazing! It’s sure to slow down a bit now you are so much smaller. I’m sure your appointment will go great xxx

You've done so great! Your body is just trying to figure out what 'normal' is now because you lost the pounds so fast, my dietitian said if you hit a plateau to change your eating routine to get out of the rut, even as simple as of you normally have a shake for breakfast then solid lunch and dinner, move the shake to lunch. Sometimes just a break up in your routine can get it started again. Also, your metabolism will be slower too, as it adjusts to your new intake, which can also cause a stall. I'm so inspired by your progress, you got this!

Hi everyone,

Congrats on 6 months! I'm sure your appointment will be great and the dr is going to be pleased with your results so far. Like you said, you feel great! Remember that feeling, that is truly what it is all about. I feel like we all set goals and have expectations in our mind of where we want to be and when, but our thoughts certainly don't magically make it happen because we want it, or none of us would be here now. You are a fighter and have such a strength about you that I know you will get through this phase. Keep up the hard work and just take it one day at a time. You've got this!

Thank you so much for being here ladies. It truly means the world to me that I can reach out when I need a little support. It's an emotional roller-coaster sometimes. Love you guys!

My appointment went well. My surgeon hadn't seen me since my 3 month appointment so she was impressed with my loss. She told me lots of the same things you have. I'm going to definitely switch up my routine some & accept the fact that I'll be loosing a lot slower now that I have less to loose. Most importantly, I need to work on being happy that I feel good and have some so far, instead of always focusing on the next goal. A year ago, I would have been ecstatic to weigh what I do now, I need to remember to appreciate that I'm here now. :)

Thank you so much for being here ladies. It truly means the world to me that I can reach out when I need a little support. It's an emotional roller-coaster sometimes. Love you guys!

My appointment went well. My surgeon hadn't seen me since my 3 month appointment so she was impressed with my loss. She told me lots of the same things you have. I'm going to definitely switch up my routine some & accept the fact that I'll be loosing a lot slower now that I have less to loose. Most importantly, I need to work on being happy that I feel good and have some so far, instead of always focusing on the next goal. A year ago, I would have been ecstatic to weigh what I do now, I need to remember to appreciate that I'm here now. :)

Congrats on 100lbs down! What an awesome milestone! Hope you celebrate in some way! Keep up the good work. :)

I hate that it slows down but it does! :mad: I'm in the same boat with more weight to lose and it's a struggle but it's worth it!

Congrats on 100lbs down! What an awesome milestone! Hope you celebrate in some way! Keep up the good work. :)

I hate that it slows down but it does! :mad: I'm in the same boat with more weight to lose and it's a struggle but it's worth it!
Thanks Pixx. This next leg of the journey will be much harder but I also predict, the most rewarding. These last 30 pounds have been a thorn in my side since my late teens. I'm ready to defeat them permanently! :)

WOW a 100 lbs. You go lady:). Hard work I know but well worth it.
Thanks! I'm hoping the scale moves at least a little this week. If not, I'll just keep plugging along until it does. I'm trying not to dwell on this plateau and instead started shifted my psychological focus to upcoming plastics. I need to amp up my workouts to include strength training. I want to be as healthy and toned as I can be for this investment in myself. I hate exercise and up until now, only have done the stationary bike and a little yoga. So actual "working-out" will be a big challenge for me but it is absolutely necessary to take this next step.

Financially, I've confirmed financing with a 5 year loan against my 401K. It's upsetting that insurance doesn't recognize this as medically necessary, reconstructive surgery, at least not yet. In my case at least, they deem it cosmetic. I knew this going in but figured it was worth confirming with BCBS. Regardless, I'm grateful that there is a way for me, even if things will be financially tight for a few years. Well worth it. I know that getting rid of a lot of this flabby skin will do wonders for me. I put my life on hold because I was ashamed of my weight. I'm not going to do that because of these remnants of obesity.

The research into surgeons and procedures is fascinating. I can admit that it has become quite the obsession for me. Since I had my RNY in March, I've logged hundreds and hundreds of hours online reading, taking notes and asking questions. I've had remote consults and look forward to some in person. I'm looking to have surgery in February since it's my slower time at work.

Hehe, ramble much? ;) I better head off to work. Have a great day everyone!

I know that getting rid of a lot of this flabby skin will do wonders for me. I put my life on hold because I was ashamed of my weight. I'm not going to do that because of these remnants of obesity.

I feel the exact same way! I have been worried about this part of the weight loss but have tried to put it on the back burner because i had a few goals to hit before that is the next thing to do. But I am with you about not wanting to put my life on hold anymore. I wish you the best of luck with this! I'm so excited for you :D

I feel the exact same way! I have been worried about this part of the weight loss but have tried to put it on the back burner because i had a few goals to hit before that is the next thing to do. But I am with you about not wanting to put my life on hold anymore. I wish you the best of luck with this! I'm so excited for you :D
Thanks a lot! It's both exciting and terrifying at the same time (volunteering to be butchered, OMG!). I have another virtual consultation this afternoon. I started with my top 5 surgeon list, all specialize in WLS patients. I've sent pics to all of them (yikes, they require them in all your naked glory, cropped my head off). This will be my 3rd virtual consult. I'm still waiting for 2 to schedule.

And a quick update - the scale cooperated!!! I was down 4.2 this week. :) So that made up for the last couple weeks. I'm into the 170s for the first time in 11 years, YAY!

Back