• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 week Plateau!

BBwhyte

Today is my six week mark of surgery. I have lost 18 pounds since surgery. I have lost 2 pounds since June 26 I am SO frustrated! I know that I’ve read that there is a common plateau from 3 to 6 weeks, but I would LOVE some reassurance! Tomorrow I start re-introducing “normal“ foods into my diet. I am hitting my protein goals consistently and my calorie intake is generally between 800 and 1000 cal. I hit my water goal on a good day. I was just expecting more weight loss the first couple months than this. Any words of advice or encouragement would be much appreciated!!

Its so hard to deal with that first plateau!! I promise it passes. There are lots of medical explanations but I'm not a doctor, so .. This is the best I can do

Your body basically thinks you might be starving. Seriously. You have cut back your intake enormously so.your body is holding on to everything, just in case. Think of budgeting when times are tight. You spend only what you need to, right? Same deal -ish.

Keep doing exactly what you're doing and it will have to use those calories and you'll go back to losing pounds. Hang in there!

Dealing with plateaus are tough. My surgical team said to get 1200 calories per day, and eat even when not feeling hungry, the equivalent of about 5 times per day, and keep up the exercise. I am right with you and know you will get through it.

Today is my six week mark of surgery. I have lost 18 pounds since surgery. I have lost 2 pounds since June 26 I am SO frustrated! I know that I’ve read that there is a common plateau from 3 to 6 weeks, but I would LOVE some reassurance! Tomorrow I start re-introducing “normal“ foods into my diet. I am hitting my protein goals consistently and my calorie intake is generally between 800 and 1000 cal. I hit my water goal on a good day. I was just expecting more weight loss the first couple months than this. Any words of advice or encouragement would be much appreciated!!
My surgeon just told me that 2 to 3 pounds a week is the norm so don’t be frustrated

Yep. Hit my plateau at 5 weeks. It lasted about 2 weeks. I knew it would pass though and to just stick to the program. I have lost 21 pounds since May 31.

Back