• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

7 Days Until the Sleeve

Corey, are you sure it's the liquid diet? There's a phenomenon many people experience after surgery. Whatever goes wrong, any little headache, any change in digestion or bowel movements, any weakness or fog, they attribute to the surgery. This has the potential to be dangerous. There might be an entirely coincidental problem causing brain fog or weakness.

I didn't feel tired or foggy. I don't think it's normal.

I did feel shaky, but I knew that was because I went off sugar, and that's hypoglycemia, and that's common. You can improve it by drinking small amounts of fruit juice, or even stuff like Jell-O. I remember feeling weak and filling a teaspoon with sugar, sticking it in my mouth and letting it melt into my stomach. Often, that worked for me, and it was the only actual refined sugar I ever allowed in my diet. I knew it was low blood sugar, and I knew my body wouldn't feel better until I brought the sugar level back up.

This isn't something a diabetic should do, but IMO it's harmless for people experiencing the tremendous shift from sugar to no sugar.

Ask your nutritionist, but listen to your body, too. Sugar may not be something you should have yet, but neither is brain fog. It's an important medical question and it may be a coincidence. Get a professional opinion and tests for blood sugar, etc.

Thank you , I do t have surgery until the 11th. I am also type 2 diabetic insulin dependent. I have had to monitor closely and adjust my insulin daily due to the usually hypoglycemia. My primary thinks the brain fog is from constantly changing blood sugars

Thank you , I do t have surgery until the 11th. I am also type 2 diabetic insulin dependent. I have had to monitor closely and adjust my insulin daily due to the usually hypoglycemia. My primary thinks the brain fog is from constantly changing blood sugars
I'm so glad you're talking to your doctor about this. And just to add a bit more information on the topic, there are many more contributing factors to brain fog, documented by the federal government:

Short answer to your question .. Yes. You are living on the bare minimum right now. Calories are energy and your body is used to receiving MUCH more. I also was diabetic and while my sugar never went to low, there was a definite drop. You can go feel that as well.

On the up side, its only a week and you can rest post op Seriously tho, take care of yourself and good luck next week!

My surgeon does not have people go on a special diet before surgery because he says that people then go into the surgery malnourished. He is just having me eat a bland diet 2 days before surgery. My surgery is April 12! Good luck with your surgery!!!! I know we will do just fine!

Yeah, my doctor just told me to eat less. I made sure I ate a cheeseburger in my last days because I knew it wasn't going to be available to me for a while after surgery. But the less you eat, the more room the doctor has to work if you have an open procedure, like I did. You can also develop better eating habits without sacrificing too much.That will serve you better.

Back