• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

7 Days

Can't believe it has already been a week on the pre-op diet, according to my scales I am down about 5-6 pounds so I hope that that is about right. (The Drs scale was only about a pound different then mine). I haven't been perfect but I plan to keep focusing on one day at a time. I had my pre-op tests done yesterday and my Primary Care Dr is pretty supportive of me doing this-he has been my doctor since I was 5 (I'm 26 now) so he knows I have always had this issue with my health. I've sort of got my bag ready just going to wash my ultra plush purple zebra lap blanket and the day before grab my electronic stuff. I picked up a lot of overtime for the next couple days so that will help keep my mind busy until I leave. So I am ready as I am going to be just have a couple more days, going to try and not get a cold between then and now, and then its the surgery!;)

Just booked my hotel rooms for 4 nights for my husband to have a nice place to be when he doesn't want to watch me in the hospital. My surgery is about 2hrs away from my house so if would cost more in gas for him to drive there and back a couple times. I am needy and I want him with me lol.

Sounds great, you may want to ask your Doctors office if they have a particular hotel they have arrangements with that will give great discounts...
The plush zebra blanket is a must have for comfort. I took my Damask plush with me and it was so nice to have that cushy softness. Also take 2 really soft nightgowns that come to the knees and 2pairs of soft PJ bottoms. The staff will be checking your incisions several times a day.
I would also recommend taking a body pillow to have behind your back or under your belly when you lay on your side. The support is wonderful.
A good pair of slip / skid proof cushy slippers is another need to take. It makes the walking nice and keep the feets toasty.

Good luck and keep us posted

I am a stomach sleeper and a thrasher so I don't really plan on being able to sleep super great, the body pillow is a good idea. I got two pairs of really soft pjs and a good pair of slippers in my bag-also a bathrobe. The hotel is actually very cheap and with in a couple blocks to the hospital. They say I'll be able to shower by that next morning so that will help too. Only 6 more days!

Five days left. I had some thoughts of "should I really be having the surgery, is this what I really want" but I remembered why I am doing this and why the surgery is my best option. Anxious and getting nervous for the surgery itself I have never had anything more then my wisdom teeth out and I have never had to stay in a hospital overnight. Also now that I have insurance approval I am worried about the surgeon saying I haven't lost enough before hand. I admit I have not been perfect and that today I was down right overindulgent=almost anything I saw or had a craving for I ate. So many emotions today…I have to remember one day at a time and to just focus on right now.

Five days left. I had some thoughts of "should I really be having the surgery, is this what I really want" but I remembered why I am doing this and why the surgery is my best option. Anxious and getting nervous for the surgery itself I have never had anything more then my wisdom teeth out and I have never had to stay in a hospital overnight. Also now that I have insurance approval I am worried about the surgeon saying I haven't lost enough before hand. I admit I have not been perfect and that today I was down right overindulgent=almost anything I saw or had a craving for I ate. So many emotions today…I have to remember one day at a time and to just focus on right now.

The questions are normal... NOW the overindulgence needs to be gotten in check. FAST.. Stop eating and feeding your emotions and fears... Go for a walk, read a book, work on a craft project, call a friend or family member, meditate, go for a walk, come on the boards and post about what is eating you, do anything but eat. Start training yourself now to NOT feed your fears and emotions.

The hospital stay is not that bad, you will have your spouse with you (Great thing), have you asked if anyone else from your surgeons office is having the procedure the same day.. If so ask to be introduced or ask your nurse at the hospital who else is there for the same surgery.. Hook up with a real life face to face bariatric buddy that you can walk with at the hospital. It helps, a lot.

We are here for you as well.... Please stop fighting yourself it is all good.
I promise you that if you do overindulge after surgery you will not only hate your choice for feeding your addiction you will hate yourself...

3 more days. Also a wicked bad storm front is moving in so I am praying I can still make my drive to the hospital. I have followed everything to a T the last couple days so I am feeling better about all that.

3 more days. Also a wicked bad storm front is moving in so I am praying I can still make my drive to the hospital. I have followed everything to a T the last couple days so I am feeling better about all that.

If it looks like it is going to be really bad will the surgeons office give you enough of a heads up?

You may want to call the office and discuss options and eventualities.

The questions are normal... NOW the overindulgence needs to be gotten in check. FAST.. Stop eating and feeding your emotions and fears... Go for a walk, read a book, work on a craft project, call a friend or family member, meditate, go for a walk, come on the boards and post about what is eating you, do anything but eat. Start training yourself now to NOT feed your fears and emotions.

The hospital stay is not that bad, you will have your spouse with you (Great thing), have you asked if anyone else from your surgeons office is having the procedure the same day.. If so ask to be introduced or ask your nurse at the hospital who else is there for the same surgery.. Hook up with a real life face to face bariatric buddy that you can walk with at the hospital. It helps, a lot.

We are here for you as well.... Please stop fighting yourself it is all good.
I promise you that if you do overindulge after surgery you will not only hate your choice for feeding your addiction you will hate yourself...

Also my sugeon told me a story about how one of his patients stopped on the way home from the hospital and ate at his favorite restaurant and split his new size tummy wide open and almost died. He said especially to be careful the first 3 weeks. Eating tiny amounts in the early weeks is more than trying to lose weight. It can be about losing one's life.

Just booked my hotel rooms for 4 nights for my husband to have a nice place to be when he doesn't want to watch me in the hospital. My surgery is about 2hrs away from my house so if would cost more in gas for him to drive there and back a couple times. I am needy and I want him with me lol.

That isn't needy I had my husband stay in the hospital with me.

We were lucky, my husband got to the hospital at 7 am every morning and drove home at 9pm every night.He came home to care for our furbabies everynight. He took a total of 8 days off from work to be home with me to make sure I am alright. I understand some spouses cannot take that kind of time off from work., However it is always a great thing to have them at the hospital fpr all of the support and to listen and learn things from the staff that we as patients may not hear or process due to anethesia and medications

Also my sugeon told me a story about how one of his patients stopped on the way home from the hospital and ate at his favorite restaurant and split his new size tummy wide open and almost died. He said especially to be careful the first 3 weeks. Eating tiny amounts in the early weeks is more than trying to lose weight. It can be about losing one's life.

Don't want to do that.

I am finding that 1/3 cup of food is just about all I can take at one sitting. Then I have to allow a few hours in between before I have solids again. In fact, I have to let liquids get through longer than a 1/2 hour before I try solids. If I don't I get "full" quickly

Wow yea I have heard some stories of people stopping for fast food on the way home… not super smart. Anyway it looks like the weather pattern has changed and we aren't going to get as much snow as expected so that is good.

Wow yea I have heard some stories of people stopping for fast food on the way home… not super smart. Anyway it looks like the weather pattern has changed and we aren't going to get as much snow as expected so that is good.

Remember you are signing up to a new way of life.

If you are not ready then don't do it!

I backed away from this decision in 2009.

This time in 2013 I was ready and fully committed to doing whatever it takes to follow the new program so that I can get the excess 100 pounds off of me and give myself a chance to live into my 80s. I will be 70 next month. I want 70s to active and healthy.

The only way you can be successful with this program is to be fully committed to following all directions down to the precise instruction. Follow the post op phases precisely. Slowly introduce foods once you reach stage 4. Be sure. Take small amounts of a new food and stop. See if you can tolerate it.

For example, I can eat a hard boiled egg as a meal no problem. I even now can consume a soft boiled egg with one slice of bread as a meal. But if I try scrambled eggs; forget about it. I get tremendously full and very burpy with the scrambled eggs. So I cannot do scrambled eggs right now. Probably too much air caught in the egg itself.

Fully committed. No detours, no fast food, follow the instructions precisely both for a good start, safety and well being.

Ralph

Back