• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

7 week post op. No loss in two weeks.

Hi, Amber. You aren't doing anything wrong. You're body just lost a TON of weight very quickly. Give it time to adjust. If you search the threads for "stalls", you will see SO many of us had nearly the same experience you are having, and a few explanations of the science behind what your body is doing/going through. But basically, you just lost 10% of your body weight in a month and your body needs a minute to realize that it's okay. You'll start losing again. Just keep following the guidelines you were given by your WL team and you will be fine.

I wish I could say that on the journey you will have continued weight loss each and every week but that just isn't likely to be the case. There will be stalls along the way. Sometimes it's better to look at how much you lost during the month rather than each week. I've had some weeks where all of a sudden the scale makes a big jump and then nothing for 1 or 2 weeks. I have a feeling your body is just adjusting so hang in there!

If you are following reasonable guidelines and making good food choices, you aren't doing anything wrong. We all lose at different rate and in slightly different ways. There really isn't a "normal" process. It can vary wildly from person to person. We all want to reach our goals quickly, but I think we should actually try to slow down a bit and focus on building habits and choices that will last a lifetime when we reach our goal weight. If we get there too fast, there is a slightly greater risk that we slip back into old habits. That wouldn't be the case for everyone, of course, there are many reasons that people are either successful or less successful, but I think taking more time to do it while focusing on building good habits might be more beneficial in the long run. I have no real evidence for this line of thinking; it's just a theory.

Stalls = plateau. Body is balancing itself out. I appreciate the heads up on the time frame. Celebrate your success. 10 % is a good chunk of weight. I am trying to convince myself to A. Get a conversion kit for my bike to add assist for inclines while riding. Or B. Just buying the whole bike with the battery on it. Need some exercise. I am getting minimal but trekking back and forth in the house is getting boring.

I wish I could say that on the journey you will have continued weight loss each and every week but that just isn't likely to be the case. There will be stalls along the way. Sometimes it's better to look at how much you lost during the month rather than each week. I've had some weeks where all of a sudden the scale makes a big jump and then nothing for 1 or 2 weeks. I have a feeling your body is just adjusting so hang in there!
Yea I am trying to stay positive and keep at it I can’t cut anything else out of my diet I’m already very strict

Back