• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

7 weeks still no weight change again

If you are following the recommended guidelines and making good choices, your body composition is changing, regardless of what the scale says. We all want to see the scale numbers drop fast, but it just doesn't happen that way for everyone. Some people's bodies put up a little more of a fight against weight loss, and there really isn't a "normal" way to experience it. Some people reach their goals in a few months, others take a year or two, but the key is staying the course and really focus on building good habits. A new relationship with food and good habits are what will get you to your goals. The surgery helps, but the effects of surgery are temporary, so we have to set ourselves up for long term success early on.

This is a long game, not a short one. I know it is easier said than done, but let yourself step away from the scale and focus hard on just doing everything right. If you are maintaining a calorie deficit, the fat will burn, and it is burning. Stick with it, and you will reach your goals with time.

Hi. This is completely normal. I went 3 weeks without losing an ounce right around the same time frame. And freaked out! Everyone here, my surgeon, and my nutritionist told me this is perfectly normal. After going weeks on an extremely restricted diet and quickly losing over 10% of your body weight, your system needs a minute to evaluate what is going on (are you staving? should it be saving every calorie? let's see.) and get back into weight loss mode. And you will go back into weight loss mode. So, TRY not to stress yourself out. Just keep following your guidelines and you'll be fine.

I lost 35 pounds the first month, 25 the second, but plateaued for seven or eight months! It took me 14 months all together to lose 115 pounds.

I broke my stall by going on a 7-day solo canoe/hike. I wanted to eat more but i just couldnt.

It's perfectly okay to freak out when you stall. Just keep doing what you're doing and add in a little more movement. You don't have to leave your house. You can even burn calories in your recliner! Your body is in charge. Stay off the junk and don't isolate. You can regain, but you have to work at it.

Muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe what you are experiencing is that transition. When it balances then it may be time for the fat to go down more. This is not backed up medically but it is an idea.

Back