• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

8 weeks post op food intake

kyky30

Hi everyone.... random question. I am currently 8 weeks post op (November 16th was my surgery date) after having gastric sleeve surgery. I am terrified of stretching my stomach and worry that I might be. I try and do small portions and always make sure to get my protein in. But this morning I was able to almost finish an entire premiere protein shake (11 fluid oz.)...... is that bad? Does that mean my stomach is stretching? Am I eating more than I should? I went to my nutritionist but she wasnt very helpful and I think im going to find someone else to go to. I havent lost any weight this last week so im just worried im messing it up.

Im also finding that I am hungry about and hour or two after I eat sometimes.... has anyone else had that problem? Is it because we are eating smaller portions or am I not getting enough protein?

Really need to find a better nutritionist lol!!! If anyone has any recommendation's in the Utah area i would appreciate it!!!

I believe you are progressing normally. I am only just over six weeks out and I can eat more on some occasions. This is the natural progression of the surgery. You should be consuming 1000 or more at this point. I find myself wanting to eat something every couple of hours as well. I can also eat a decent amount at times.

I know there are many, many people who will disagree with what I am going to tell you. I have found doctors who have done research on this subject, as well as other myths about surgery. It is nearly impossible to stretch your new stomach. The stretchy part of the stomach is removed during surgery. Weght gain after surgery is not from stretching, but from eating too many calories throughout the day. As your body adjusts to the new stomach, it becomes more tolerant, and makes it easier to eat more food. This is natural, and it is not your stomach stretching. Research shows that people who gain back ALL of the weight after surgery still have the same size stomach.

Here is a good video, a bit older, but there are more out there like this.

Bariatric Surgery Myths - Dr. Matthew Weiner addresses common misconceptions about Bariatric Surgery - Bing video

I am terrified of stretching my stomach and worry that I might be.

Thanks for sharing this. It's a common irrational thought that accompanies all levels of eating disorders--and if you didn't know it already, yes, you do have an eating disorder, which is why you can't regulate your own weight.

Stomach stretching is nearly impossible. The tissue that comprises the sac is thick and resistant to stretching. That's why when you eat too much, your stomach hurts. It cannot stretch in a limitless way. It only stretches a little to accommodate a meal.

And as food passes through, with a combination of saliva and gastric juices, it's broken down into a liquid before entering your intestines, colon and finally squeezing out through the anus as solid waste. The stomach relaxes and regains its regular shape.

See, the stomach is an organ, like the liver or lungs or kidneys or heart, and there's very little you can do to alter the workings of an organ. If we could, we wouldn't need so much surgical intervention. Your big problem is your brain, or rather, the skewed thoughts that overrun your brain.

But forget all that. Here's the way to stop worrying. Weigh and measure everything. Don't nibble or graze. Write it down, every single bite. When you do this, your anxiety can't run away with the truth. The process you describe is the road to self-sabotage. What got us here in the first place is harder to control than establishing regular eating habits.

Finally, try affirmations. I've posted about them, and about how to destroy negative thinking, many times to this group. Do a search and find the way to shift power from irrational thought to deliberate positive change.

Back