• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

9Month Post-Opp... He said WHAT?!

mmccarty

So I have not had a great relationship or experience with my surgeon. Today I saw him for my 9 month post -opp appointment. I reached my goal (according to MY scale) so I went into my appointment with my head high. Lol well he burst my bubble and told me I need to lose another 20-25 pounds.

When I went into this surgery I set myself up to succeed with REALISTIC goals. I never expected to wear a bikini or a size 2. I thought 150lbs was a healthy weight for 5'6". I'm a size 10 and I feel better than I ever have. Not bad for also having 2 kids.

I feel like he has now planted this seed in my head that I have to go to 130 in order to be "healthy". All I want is to be healthy. So I guess I have to lose another 20lbs. Wish me luck!

I'd say do what you feel is right for you and what feels good. Ignore the jerk. 124-130 sounds awful low for someone who is 5 foot 6. I hope to get to 130, and I'm only 5 feet tall.
If it was ME (and it's not), I would lose a couple more pounds, just so I could stay in the threshold of your 150 pound goal and not worry about going over. Just sayin'.

I'm 5'6" and my doc says 155 is normal. But he asked me first what I wanted to be. I said between 175 and 200. He said that was realistic and he was relieved that someone would be honest with themselves. He said, though, that most likely I'll lose more than that and potentially gain some back. But that I would be within MY goals.

We are not defined by numbers on a scale . . .

At my 5 month check up the nurse told me my ideal weight was 150. She also didn't mention the 30 pounds I lost before surgery, not to mention surgical complications that made in impossible to eat at all for two weeks. Don't despair, you only have to make yourself happy and a surgeon or other health person who sees you rarely can't decide what is best for you. They keep telling us not to pay attention to the numbers then tell us they are not right. All of us who have been through it know you are doing great, and you know you are doing great, and I will be thrilled to be a size 10, so nice going.

I don't know why the surgeon wants you to lose more weight. If you 15 years old maybe that would be a good weight but 150 sounds great to me. My surgeon set my goal (with my approval) at about 20-30 pounds over my ideal 15 year old weight. I just want to be healthy and feel good again and am finally getting there. It's been slow and a lot of hard work.

I have 40 more to go and if my family would stop having birthdays it might be easier (just kidding).

My advice is to reach the weight you are comfortable at and can maintain. Personally, I don't want to be constantly battling a number.

Good luck,

Joy

I'm 5 1 1/2 and told my doctor I wanted to get down to 140. He didn't think I would get there. He thought I would probably be around 160. I plan to keep going past 160. Anyway...who's to say. If you feel good where you are and at your height, I think that is great. I wouldn't put too much stock into what your surgeon said and I hope you don't let it discourage you! I think you have done great!

Just remember....you didn't do this for your surgeon...or anyone else but yourself! Be happy in you...whatever your weight, height, hair color, age, color of shirt,...etc, etc....lol

I noticed you're from Iowa...me too! Don't know who your surgeon was, but I think he's smoking something! ;) I just posted to someone else that my surgeon told me they'd be happy if I was at 220 pounds. I about fell over, because that's not MY goal. I'm about 5'8 and originally, my goal for myself was 170-180. I feel so good about my health right now, that I'll be happy to be any healthy weight under 200 pounds! I think that fits my lifestyle and is something I can maintain without having to punish myself. Size 10! Yea for you!! :D I'd ignore your surgeon...you lost weight for you, not him! If you're happy, that's all that matters!

For 5'6" - 150 lb and size 10 - to my thinking... you must look great!!! Your surgeon may be the type of person who likes really skinny people. I personally think women ideally should look healthy, curvey and not skin and bones. Dont let him rain on your parade. :cool:

Great job. I am only starting out with 30lbs gone between what I lost initially and 3 weeks after sx. Our goal weight is the same.....150.
My problem is that I don't know how much I will lose from the sx.....or in what time frame. I see that it took you about 1 year and our beginning weight was about the same. So I am anxious to see where I will be in even 6 months.

Each person's body is different. I think the surgeon should be making sure that you are on track with maintaining....not putting on the pressure.
And moreover....asking you what YOU want.

Agree with everyone.... you did great! Congrats! I don't want to be skin and bones either. I'd be happy with 160, but will go for 140, no matter what my doctor or BMI scale says.

There are 2 different weights there is a normal bmi weight and then there is a happy weight. The normal bmi hmm ok great if you are in that range but the happy weight is the weight that you get to that you are not killing yourself to maintain. If you feel great at 150 by all means stay there but if you get to 130 and you love it great but if you don't then don't let him get in your head.

You know yourself best and I think as long as you are healthy at 150 this is a good goal. My surgeon never set a goal for me. In the beginning it was where my body will take me. I saw my surgeon about 6 months ago and I was 153. He told me that if I was considering plastics now was the time. I continued to lose weight. A few months ago I decided to set a goal as I figured I should have an end point. I set 140 as that is the number I thought I could achieve. In the back of my mind my ultimate goal was 130. So I got to the middle at 135. I have been there since Sept and figure this is where my body is comfortable. I will caution that meeting a lower weight than is comfortable can be harder to maintain. I have to stay at 1200 calories to maintain this weight. I tried going up to 1400 and started to gain weight. I really have not given myself any room to gain as I had to buy a new wardrobe. When you get to smaller sizes, 5 pounds can make a difference. I think a normal BMI is also a good way to determine where you want to be. Whatever you decide you are on your way.

I could only wish for your problem.. i had the lap band surgery done in 2007. I have only lost 25lbs this is not due to the band.. i have over the years
of not being able to eat or absorb my vitamins developed Ulseritic Colitis. I am so frustrated with it that i am going to see my doctor next month to see
if i can get the band removed.. if there is anyone out there that can help me in anyway please let me know. Thanks from Lora..very frustrated..and disappointed.

Maybe he just wants to give you wiggle room in case you gain some back. It is common for folks to gain a little back.

Hey you have done excellent. Go back and ask the surgeon why he is saying another 30. You have reached a BMI of 24, which is in the upper end of healthy weight. Ask him what he is thinking?

Back