• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A 2nd Chance - Do-over from God - Hoping to make this my new normal

robergnm

Hello, my name if Mary. I'm 46 and live in Milwaukee WI. I will be having my surgery on Wednesday, June 06, 2012.
My route is a little different than most, I think.

I've been feeling sick for almost a year; dry heaves, puking in the mornings easily, coughing until I'm light headed and such.
Finally in February, after year-end; I do payroll and accounting, I went to see my PCP.

She gave me a mini-physical and got me set up with a Abdominal CT, EGD & Colonoscopy to see what's going on.
I was diagnosed w/a large hiatal hernia and referred to a Surgeon who specializes in their repair.

He also performs bariatric surgeries specializing in minimally invasive produres and laproscopic surgeries.
I felt immediately at relief that he could fix the hernia & I would begin feeling better.
To avoid future hernia repairs or minimize then he suggested that I have gastric bypass as well.

I was informed that I would need to have an upper GI series; the test with the barium, meet with the RD in their area and attend the new patient orientation - early portions.
The surgeries will be peformed at Froedert and the Medical College of WI that has a Bariatric Center of Excellence; high statistics for survival rates, keeping surgeries to laproscopic and patients staying successful with their weight loss years out.

There program is probably one of the most strict in our area & I know of one person who was turned down not meeting requirements.
The team is factual, fair, caring and genuinely wants us all to succeed; however they don't pull any punches either.
Miss appointments, don't follow what's expected, etc. & your surgery will be delayed or you may be booted out of the program.

This surgery is a tool, not a cure-all. It's on us to make our own success but they're there to support us, pick us up & evaluate what we need to do to get back on track.
I can't weight to weigh less for several reasons; more energy, exercist more frequently and easily, fit on an airplane seat w/o seeing the person next to my cringe in horror.
Fit in a sheet to see a show or concert at a venue other than a movie theater w/jumbo seats already.

All of this has happened rather rapidly; I'm scared or cautious as this is a one way track no way back; can I really do it?
There are complicatons as with all surgies, so much more time spent on food prep and having to eat by the clock not when I'm hungry & NO snacks, just milk in-between.
I'm taking all of this very seriously. Can I work this in with my work day?

Now I'm following the pre-operative diet; more work & seems like so much food to consume at each meal.

Here's the kicker, 2 weeks this Tuesday, I slipped on the basement stairs & dislocated my right shoulder.
Do you think they will still perform the surgery?

I just followed up with the Ortho surgeon late Thursday, wants me to where the fancy sling for 6 weeks & PT in 2 wks - right after surgery.
I can do just about everything myself with the exception of putting on my bra & taking it off unless it's 2 of my sports bras that offer no support.

I'm very flexible & have strong core strength, don't need help getting up or on a MD table, etc.

Well, this is my story, initially so far.

I welcome any comments, criticisms or suggestions. God Bless you all & much success to each and every one of you.

Weights are approximate; don't remember the exact weight at Surg appt & haven't been weighed there since.
Pre-operative diet followed correctly will cause most people to lose 5-10 lbs; was asked to lose 10-15 lbs before surg.

Greetings Mary...and welcome to the forum. The feelings you are having are all normal, we here have all had them, so you are not alone. One thing I want you to think about is how food has controlled you. WE ate when, where, how much, and what whenever you wanted to...even when you weren't hungry! WE ate cuz we were bored, tired, depressed, stressed, or cuz it was there, etc. Now WE have control over food, it seems like so much more work because we have to decide to eat and what. We have to think about how much time it is taking us to eat, measuring and mixing, no ordering out, no stopping at the drive thru. We have the control now, as long as we learn how to use it wisely. I will be returning to work in a couple weeks and have purchased some 1/2c. containers to take my food to work in, a shaker bottle for my protein drink at my morning break. I am enjoying the feeling of having more control over life and food. I have even started cooking again, which I have always loved, and finding healthy recipes on line. You have a chance at a new life, and I hope you enjoy it!

Hey Lady!

Thanks for the post. I'm cooking again, too. Weighing, measuring & buying things that haven't been in the grocery cart for quite some time or EVER - lol. My husband & I went shopping together yesterday; first stop, Bed, Bath & Beyond for the Magic Bullet for pureeing food when initially home from the hospital & also to help with step 2, fork soft foods.

We aren't allowed to drink protein shakes on our plan; all food and nothing but. We have to eat food for the rest of our lives so food from the moment we are able to begin consuming it.

I've advised work that I will need to take a longer lunch for prep & mainly for time to eat everything since it will take quite some time.

I've been to a couple of Support Group meetings & ironically the last meeting's theme was Emotional Eating & there was quite the turnout I was told.
Even a quiz, if I answered correctly or how I felt when I took the quiz, I eat when I'm bored - OMG! I didn't know.

It's sort of a relief to eliminate going to fast food places, the food isn't that great anyway.
Now my husband was pretty shocked by the food bill yesterday but again, it's stuff we haven't had in the house for quite some time & some was to have initially when needed.
I look at it this way, the amount spent will be cheaper in the long run & far healthier than supplementing meals w/fast food & dining out.

You just brought up the reason for the anxiety, the emotional component; no snacking - that's going to be a challenge I will need to overcome quickly, that & making salmon.

I have lots of containers & some are reheatable, etc. so they'll get used now; even that salad spinner that's been collecting dust.

My husband has been waiting for me to make the dinners; we both hate cooking but I think I will like eating healthier & cooking again vs. baking occasionally.
I already don't really miss sweets, I love water, no problem with skim milk & avoiding alcohol & soda, no problem.

Seems like everyone's food plan is a little different ... I'm find that very interesting.

You have a good head on your shoulders, and it sounds like your husband is going to be a great support for you! This journey may cause some initial anxiety, but it is exciting also. Also, maybe you can invite your husband into the kitchen with you when cooking, make it a team effort!

All the best to you. I had my surgery a week ago . From that day till now i'm down 14 lbs . I do not regret my decision to have the surgery. God bless

Back