• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A diagnosis from gastro doc

Kim M

My surgeon gave me referral to a gastro due to severe contipation since surgery. I went and he diagnoised me with IBS since the surgery. I always thought that IBS was the opposite of my problem. He spent a lot of time with me and basically told me constipation begets constipation. So my fear of taking laxatives too often had to be put aside until he could see what was going on with a colonoscopy. I now take Miralax and Align which is a probiotic pill. It took a few days, but it is working. I have to scheudle the colonoscopy this week. I have tried to eat more oatmeal with flax seeds in it. I have always been a veggie person, so there is no problem there. I don't it bread or other whole grain products. I have also added more beans. If anyone has any other suggestions on foods I might add that would be helpful.

I take 4 fiber tablets and 2 stool softeners every day and that seems to help. My diet is pretty good as far as fresh fruits and vegetables, but I still seem to need the help.

Back