• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!
Hello all,

I introduced myself a few weeks ago, and now I am five days post op. My husband has been very supportive of my getting the surgery, staying at his job so I could be on his insurance, coming with me to appointments, even getting me a fancy blender. Since I've come home from the hospital however, it has been a different story.

Luckily my mom came to help, because he stays in the bedroom all day on his computer and barely checks in on me or asks how I am feeling/need anything. He hasn't done any of his normal chores or housework that we've divided up, and has been letting his 60 yr old mother-in-law (my mom) do them, and she has paid for every meal they've ordered (neither of them cooks). The afternoon I came home from the hopsital he said he was upset because I didn't reach out to him more while I was there for two days (my mom and him we're not allowed in due to COVID-19 restrictions, so I was by myself for two days), and honestly, I was completely out of it for a good majority of my time there which I explained to him.

I'm taking 5 weeks off of work and he commented that I didn't need that much time off, and that when my mom leaves he's concerned I'm just going to eat out of pure boredom (I didn't do much of that before, and I certainly don't feel like doing it now). My mother also told me that while they were eating at his family's house the other night, my husband mentioned how I won't be cooking for him for awhile, and his family member said 'She's recuperating she's not there to cook for you" and his response was "whatever". He got upset yesterday when I didn't cover my mouth when I started coughing because I was holding a pillow to my incisions, and my mom said I had to do that so I don't tear out my stitches and he just grunted.

My mom is leaving this upcoming Saturday, and even she said I better be self sufficient by then because my husband clearly isn't gonna assist me - she cannot stay longer due to her available time at work. My husband has always been a little emotionally unavailable, but this is beyond anything else. He's made this entire process about him, and how it effects him, while I'm sitting here with five incisions in me and stressed out. Did any of you experience this, and what advice do you have for me?

I am sorry your husband is not being as supportive as you need him to be. Focus on your recovery your body needs to heal. If you have strength to confront him then do so, tell him what need, be clear and what you want. I hope you he listens to you. Your body has gone through a trauma with surgery you need to have positivity, help, and support around you and not be worried about him.

I am sorry your husband is not being as supportive as you need him to be. Focus on your recovery your body needs to heal. If you have strength to confront him then do so, tell him what need, be clear and what you want. I hope you he listens to you. Your body has gone through a trauma with surgery you need to have positivity, help, and support around you and not be worried about him.

Thank you very much! Perhaps I'll have a longer discussion with him when I'm feeling more up to it, but you're 100% right I need to focus on recovery.

I'm really sorry that you're going through that. It sounds very hurtful. I agree with The BLJ - it's an issue that you'll have to confront at some point, whenever you feel ready, but try not to lose focus on your own physical and emotional health right now. Do you have other family/friends/neighbors who can help after your mother leaves? Will be thinking of you!

Hello all,

I introduced myself a few weeks ago, and now I am five days post op. My husband has been very supportive of my getting the surgery, staying at his job so I could be on his insurance, coming with me to appointments, even getting me a fancy blender. Since I've come home from the hospital however, it has been a different story.

Luckily my mom came to help, because he stays in the bedroom all day on his computer and barely checks in on me or asks how I am feeling/need anything...

Did any of you experience this, and what advice do you have for me?
Obviously he has some mixed feelings about this, and most likely, he is concerned about how this will affect him. You cannot change his mind or attitude. You just had the greatest gift handed to you and he didn't get anything out of it. I think the last thing you should do is evaluate him or take his inventory. He has the right to be completely unsupportive. You have the right to change your life. But if you are co-dependent with him, your experience might be really unpleasant.

For both of your sakes, I hope you can detach from him and not expect any support. We would love to hear how you are doing and give you all the support you need. I'm sure you also have living, breathing friends who will do the same, and if there is a local Live support group, I would definitely attend. It was required when I had my surgery.

Noticing his negativity is bad for you and the positive attitude you require to have maximum success with this surgery. It's really no different than how some of us have felt toward alcoholics we loved. You can't expect them to change, and they always know how to behave to get you on board before they completely disappoint you.

Aside from that, how is your post-operative experience? You're pretty new. Have you lost any weight or are you having any trouble getting in the amount of protein you need or the amount of water you need to drink? We are here for you. Just ignore him.

I'm really sorry that you're going through that. It sounds very hurtful. I agree with The BLJ - it's an issue that you'll have to confront at some point, whenever you feel ready, but try not to lose focus on your own physical and emotional health right now. Do you have other family/friends/neighbors who can help after your mother leaves? Will be thinking of you!

Thank you! I think when I am able (things are still pretty closed down here for COVID - no support groups or extra people coming with you to appts.) I will bring him in with a behavioral person at my office and have a more extensive chat. I do a have a few friends that have checked in, and one that will even be making food for my husband so I dont have to cook, so that will be helpful. Thank you! <3

Obviously he has some mixed feelings about this, and most likely, he is concerned about how this will affect him. You cannot change his mind or attitude. You just had the greatest gift handed to you and he didn't get anything out of it. I think the last thing you should do is evaluate him or take his inventory. He has the right to be completely unsupportive. You have the right to change your life. But if you are co-dependent with him, your experience might be really unpleasant.

For both of your sakes, I hope you can detach from him and not expect any support. We would love to hear how you are doing and give you all the support you need. I'm sure you also have living, breathing friends who will do the same, and if there is a local Live support group, I would definitely attend. It was required when I had my surgery.

Noticing his negativity is bad for you and the positive attitude you require to have maximum success with this surgery. It's really no different than how some of us have felt toward alcoholics we loved. You can't expect them to change, and they always know how to behave to get you on board before they completely disappoint you.

Aside from that, how is your post-operative experience? You're pretty new. Have you lost any weight or are you having any trouble getting in the amount of protein you need or the amount of water you need to drink? We are here for you. Just ignore him.

I don't think we're co-dependent, but I was expecting a little more support on the backend of things because he's been so supportive on the front end, it was more of a shock to me.

He was a little better today, so that's good, but right now I'm mostly relying on my mom for help or anything. Unfortunately, while I was looking forward to the support groups, where I am we are still heavily shutdown do to the virus and support groups have been suspended since March.

For now I will ignore him, and hopefully when things open up a little I can get him into the office behaviorist with me.

Things are going okay. The first day after surgery was awful, but it's improved everyday. My office said they don't worry about weight for the first month because all of the fluid can actually make you gain weight, so I haven't check on my weight-loss yet. No trouble with protein or fluids, I'm getting in about 68. ounces of fluid and 70 grams of protein per day. I did realize that skim milk I was mixing things with was upsetting my stomach (unfortunate incident there lol) so that's the only real hiccup I've had so far - thank you for asking.

I don't think we're co-dependent, but I was expecting a little more support on the backend of things because he's been so supportive on the front end, it was more of a shock to me.

He was a little better today, so that's good, but right now I'm mostly relying on my mom for help or anything. Unfortunately, while I was looking forward to the support groups, where I am we are still heavily shutdown do to the virus and support groups have been suspended since March.

For now I will ignore him, and hopefully when things open up a little I can get him into the office behaviorist with me.

Things are going okay. The first day after surgery was awful, but it's improved everyday. My office said they don't worry about weight for the first month because all of the fluid can actually make you gain weight, so I haven't check on my weight-loss yet. No trouble with protein or fluids, I'm getting in about 68. ounces of fluid and 70 grams of protein per day. I did realize that skim milk I was mixing things with was upsetting my stomach (unfortunate incident there lol) so that's the only real hiccup I've had so far - thank you for asking.
I'm glad to hear things are at least going in the right direction for you and your husband. I feel the same as you do about wishing to attend a bariatric support group. The ones offered through my doctor's practice have also been cancelled since March and they have not been rescheduled virtually. I'm hoping they'll pick back up in July.

It's interesting that your surgeon's office said they don't worry about weight for the first month due to fluids from surgery. I have read about so many people losing significantly the first month and was starting to grow frustrated because that has not been my experience at all. On Friday, I will be 3 weeks post-op and have lost next to nothing (maybe 5 lbs). For the last 11 days, I have lost and regained the same pound repeatedly. I'm eating according to the weekly guidelines, taking my supplements, and getting in all of the expected water. I was really starting to feel pretty defeated but that gives me renewed hope.

I hope things keep improving for you! :)

It is unfortunate that his supportive stance has shifted. We can forget that there are a lot of concerns and fears on the part of our loved ones as well, and particularly with a spouse, there could be concern that you will change in some way (apart from the physical) and not need or want them any longer. I have seen that if you had a strong relationship to start, that usually comes full circle and you can end up with an even stronger one after.

I'm glad to hear things are at least going in the right direction for you and your husband. I feel the same as you do about wishing to attend a bariatric support group. The ones offered through my doctor's practice have also been cancelled since March and they have not been rescheduled virtually. I'm hoping they'll pick back up in July.

It's interesting that your surgeon's office said they don't worry about weight for the first month due to fluids from surgery. I have read about so many people losing significantly the first month and was starting to grow frustrated because that has not been my experience at all. On Friday, I will be 3 weeks post-op and have lost next to nothing (maybe 5 lbs). For the last 11 days, I have lost and regained the same pound repeatedly. I'm eating according to the weekly guidelines, taking my supplements, and getting in all of the expected water. I was really starting to feel pretty defeated but that gives me renewed hope.

I hope things keep improving for you! :)

Sorry for the VERY late replay, but things got even better with him because Monday evening I started vomiting and couldn't keep anything down, I called my doctor who said vomiting wasn't unusual and to take some anti-nausea meds and try to ride it out. Long story short, I went to the ER early Tuesday morning, and ended up going back in for another operation after vomiting for 15 hours. Apparently, in the leftover part my stomach, a fatty part healed weird and made a little saddle over it, and caused me intense pain and I couldn't keep anything down. Super rare complication. I am feeling much better now, and my husband has been far more sympathetic and helpful.

It's crazy because I know the support groups can be super helpful, you'd think some offices would do virtual or zoom meetings.

Yeah I've heard so many different things from different patients, some doctors have you weighing yourself and some don't. I think with all the changes your body just went through, it takes it time to adjust, so keep hanging in there and I'm sure things will pick up for you!

Thank you! I hope the same for you! <3

It is unfortunate that his supportive stance has shifted. We can forget that there are a lot of concerns and fears on the part of our loved ones as well, and particularly with a spouse, there could be concern that you will change in some way (apart from the physical) and not need or want them any longer. I have seen that if you had a strong relationship to start, that usually comes full circle and you can end up with an even stronger one after.

I think that's a big part of it honestly. He doesn't have a lot of self confidence about his looks, and I don't either due to my weight. I'm sure he is worried that after I drop weight I will pick up and leave. I think once he sees how things go, he'll be a little less worried about it.

Sorry for the VERY late replay, but things got even better with him because Monday evening I started vomiting and couldn't keep anything down, I called my doctor who said vomiting wasn't unusual and to take some anti-nausea meds and try to ride it out. Long story short, I went to the ER early Tuesday morning, and ended up going back in for another operation after vomiting for 15 hours. Apparently, in the leftover part my stomach, a fatty part healed weird and made a little saddle over it, and caused me intense pain and I couldn't keep anything down. Super rare complication. I am feeling much better now, and my husband has been far more sympathetic and helpful.

It's crazy because I know the support groups can be super helpful, you'd think some offices would do virtual or zoom meetings.

Yeah I've heard so many different things from different patients, some doctors have you weighing yourself and some don't. I think with all the changes your body just went through, it takes it time to adjust, so keep hanging in there and I'm sure things will pick up for you!

Thank you! I hope the same for you! <3
Wow. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that! Very happy the 2nd surgery was successful and that you're feeling much better!! It's wonderful to hear that your husband is supporting you and your healing again. I hope things continue to head in only positive directions for you! :)

Back