• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

a little embarrassing ......

Lizzie

I am a little embarrassed to ask this but does anyone know what we can take for constipation? I am almost 4 weeks out of by pass and I am still on mainly liquids and just a few purees. Any suggestions?

Hi Lizzie,

Constipation is very uncomfortable to say the least. There are a couple of fiber laxatives that dissolve well in water or juice: I believe benefiber is one of them. I personally cannot tolerate metamucil. I found a really good fiber laxative that is chewable, and has a pleasant berry flavor. It is simply called "Fiber Choice". You might check with your surgeon's office to make sure it is OK to use them first. Part of my discharge instructions were to use any chewable or soluble laxative of choice as needed. Joy

LIZZIE-DO NOT take a fiber supplement that is mixed with water. I was told by my surgeon that it can cause a blockage in some cases. My surgeon told me to use only Milk of Magnesia. He also told me to take Ducolax stool softeners daily if needed. I use a generic brand and have taken 1 to 2 daily (at different times) since 1 week post surgery. By doing so I have only had to use the Milk of Magnesia only twice since surgery.

As always, check with your surgeon before starting any new OTC products.

Yes Lizzie, I have a lapband so my instructions are slightly different in some ways. Always best to check with your surgeon on OTC's. However, I did check with a friend who had RNY from my surgeon and she uses the chewable fiber laxative too. What you have to remember with any laxative is to drink plenty of water. They also told me that.

I just had this issue and was ready to post about it and found your post....fiber is the key, but we are not getting enough at our stage, I am also at my 4 week mark. I took about 4 ounces of prune juice deluted with water and stool softeners and that got me through my rough patch...I contacted the NP and she suggested the milk of magnesia and benafiber...you /we, should get back on track once we are able to eat more veggies...the average person needs about 35gs of fiber a day to keep regular. So now I am on a supplement until I am able to get more fiber through my food. It is very uncomfortable and you don't want to wait until you have the issue to get help...even after you're able to have a bowel movement and feel better...continue taking a supplement.

My surgeon put me on two Dulcolax a day right after surgery. For me that works just fine and I don't have any problems.

Thanks every one. I talked to my dr and he said absolutely no pills to drink milk of magnesia..... I just drank 30mls and YUCK!!!!!! Talk about nasty. Lol oh well I hope it works.

Lizzie, this has been one of my worst issues post op. I was never very regular to begin with and used a senna tablet twice every day before my surgery. I now use the fiber choice chewables and they taste pretty good. Milk of Magnesia is vile and I could not drink enough to make a significant difference. When things get really bad, which is at least once a week for me, I use glycerine suppositories. They work fast, about 30 to 60 minutes, and soften stool enough to pass. The problem with fiber and laxatives is that they do not necessarily soften stool, which can be really nasty and painful as the laxative kicks in but the stool is still blocked. The glycerine suppositories take care of that but making the stool soften and pass relatively easily. It is not the most comfortable thing to go through, but for me it is the only thing that really works. Good luck!

Hi, Lizzie. If you are still having trouble, a friend of mine uses a chewable stool softener called Colace. She swears by it, so I have bought a bottle (I'm 1 week pre-surgery) just to have it on hand. I think, when your Dr. said no pills, that he meant not to swallow whole pills. Ask him, but you should be able to do the chewable ones. Good luck!

I'm glad you got some relief Lizzie, but i am hoping someone may have some advise for me. I am 3 weeks post-op and am suffering consipation. I am eating some solid food and am taking Miralax with no success. I do think my main problem is inadequate water intake. Any suggestions?

I'm glad you got some relief Lizzie, but i am hoping someone may have some advise for me. I am 3 weeks post-op and am suffering consipation. I am eating some solid food and am taking Miralax with no success. I do think my main problem is inadequate water intake. Any suggestions?

My surgeon told me to use only Milk of Magnesia. He also told me to take Ducolax stool softeners daily if needed. I use a generic brand and have taken 1 to 2 daily (at different times) since 1 week post surgery. By doing so I have only had to use the Milk of Magnesia only twice since surgery.

As always, check with your surgeon before starting any new OTC products.

Back