• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

a positive thought

I feel suffocated by negativity all around me. People are really adversely affected by our world, which seems to be controlled by the nastiest kind of people and events. People seem intent on popping other people's pretty ballons. Its hard to coax a smile out of a stranger.

So i don't have one right now, but I'm going to search for some positive blurb to share with everyone, and I hope you all will share one back!

I'll be right back.

I hear you Diane, one person can really take down another person's mood. Did you know that one minute of anger weakens our immune system for 4-5 hours? And... One minute of laughter boosts the immune system for 24 hours! If that doesn't help you pick your friends, I don't know what does! ;)

Attachments

• Be happy.jpg
    Be happy.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 37
I’ve been in a blah mood for a little over a week now. I’ve had 6 interviews with this company and job that I was hoping to get. I was told that I was one of three finalists. I didn’t even get a thank you rejection email.

I decided to take a vacation day today because I needed a break. Several months ago I bought this cute sweatshirt zipper jacket in size medium and tried it on and it fit perfectly so I wore it today. I was wearing 1X when I bought it. It was a beautiful sunny day in NY and I went shopping and saw myself in a mirror. For the first time in 20 years I looked at myself and thought I looked great. I almost didn’t recognize a thinner version of me. This brought a smile to my face that’s lasted all day.

My day is not complete unless I make someone laugh. Today a friend called me. We worked together at the local veteran’s home before I moved on to different positions then retired. She was telling me she has been having a rough time and was seriously thinking of changing her position there. One of the residents told her that many of them think other workers are mean and that they treasure what she does for them and feels that she truly cares about them as people. It made her day. I was so happy for her.

Years ago on Oprah I saw a therapist suggest that someone who was depressed should smile at themselves in the mirror. I thought "what hippie dippy BS" and went on about my day. The next morning, while brushing my teeth, I looked in the mirror. As a joke, I smiled at myself. With toothpaste everywhere and the exaggerated smile, I ended up cracking up. Now, I do it every morning. And every morning it makes me roll my eyes .. but I'm smiling. :) And it starts my day out on a positive note.

Years ago on Oprah I saw a therapist suggest that someone who was depressed should smile at themselves in the mirror. I thought "what hippie dippy BS" and went on about my day. The next morning, while brushing my teeth, I looked in the mirror. As a joke, I smiled at myself. With toothpaste everywhere and the exaggerated smile, I ended up cracking up. Now, I do it every morning. And every morning it makes me roll my eyes .. but I'm smiling. :) And it starts my day out on a positive note.

This is a very true thing. Sometimes "fake it til we make it" goes a long way.

Back