• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

a working diagnosis.

I want to thank all the people here who have been so kind and supportive and concerned about me during my current health crisis. It actually is two crises and not one. But I now have a working diagnosis for the attack that came on on May 31st.

My doctor is now treating me for diverticulitis. I have seen that word in many places and I have seen it a lot here. In fact, I'm not sure I would have been able to find a diagnosis if I hadn't been reading your posts. I thought diverticulitis was just a bad skit on Saturday Night Live.

I want to extend my deepest sympathies to anyone else who is suffering with acute diverticulitis. That's one of two forms the disease takes. The other one is chronic and although antibiotics the are given, it never really goes away completely. The antibiotics my doctor put me on had about 7 pages of warnings, most of which indicated that these pills could kill me. Man, if I had not been suffering so much, I would never have taken these two. I hope I never have another flare-up and I never have to take these again.

For anyone interested in what happened, I will just refer you to the post using the keywords "stabbing pain."

I continue to have the symptoms that caused me to seek this group out. I will still be having a bariatric endoscopy in July.

Anyone can get diverticulitis and it often occurs in older people. You can also pretty much prevent it by doing some very simple things. Eat fiber, drink plenty of water, avoid refined foods like white flour and rice, use stool softeners or prunes, exercise, and above all else, never never EVER postpone a bowel movement. If you get the urge to go, GO. Holding it in is one of the most damaging things you can do to your colon.

I have a couple days of antibiotics left to take, but I'm feeling a little better and I dragged my NordicTrack out of the closet and set it up in the living room. I love cross country skiing and that's exactly what the NordicTrack emulates. I'm really looking forward to skiing while I watch TV.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me they really help me to figure out what was wrong. And you don't have to say "you're welcome" to me in a short post. If you liked hearing this story, just give me a Like. I will take it as a thank you/you're welcome gesture.

Back