• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

abdominal binder

When I had my surgery, I was sent home with an abdominal binder. And a lot of people who have this surgery also are sent home with binders. Please, if you are pre-op, ask your clinic or doctor if you will be receiving an abdominal binder. If not, get one! You will never know as much pain from surgery as the pain that comes from tugging at staples or stitches.

I used EVERYDAY MEDICAL Plus Size Post Surgery Binder, which I ordered on Amazon. I liked the one from the hospital better, but this one worked well for me. Try it over your tee or PJs for extra comfort.

Please keep in mind that due to differences in body types, you may have to try more than one. My husband could not comfortably wear any of them, due to where he carries his weight (very high on his abdomen). Some are thicker and some are thinner. Really consider how much space you want covered.

So, I’m not really happy with the binder I got from Amazon. It rolls and is rough. Can someone recommend one that is comfortable and works?
Thanks
You may need to get two binders in order to be wide enough for your torso. And do you wear it over a t-shirt or some kind of cloth? I would.
  • Call your surgical department at hospital where where you had your surgery. Doctors give them out to anyone who has abdominal surgery and they have them in stock.
  • Check out the home Depot or other hardware stores. They have a large selection of belts for people who deliver refrigerators and such.
  • Go to a sporting goods store and ask for a binder. They have them for weightlifters.
  • Try a medical supply store. They generally have stuff like this.

Last edited:
Back