• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

absorbing protein

hdr703

Hello,
I am new to this site, and had my bypass 9 years ago. I have been very successful, but recently I
have been having problems absorbing protein. I have always watched my protein and was wondering
if anyone else is having this problem. I take a B-12 shot every month and take a folic acid tablet daily.
My fatigue is driving me crazy. Help Help Help.
Thanks, Helene

Absorbing Protein and absorbing b12 are two different things! Have you spoken to your doc lately about this?

Hello,
I am new to this site, and had my bypass 9 years ago. I have been very successful, but recently I
have been having problems absorbing protein. I have always watched my protein and was wondering
if anyone else is having this problem. I take a B-12 shot every month and take a folic acid tablet daily.
My fatigue is driving me crazy.

Hi, Helene,

Welcome! Youv've come to the right place. Lots of friendly people here.

How long have you been experiencing this fatigue?

What makes you think you are having problems absorbing protein?

Are you still carefully following your post-op program? At 9 years out, you should have a series of labwork showing vitamin, mineral and protein trending. What did your most recent labs show?

How much protein are you getting in daily? 60 grams? 80?

How about fluids? How many ounces daily?

What does your surgical team or your pcp or your nutritionist have to say about these issues?

Check in with them. Then get back to us and tell how we can best support you.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

hi helene, i dont want to sound any false alarms but extreme can be a symptom of a heart problem. since you are a woman. dont overlook this

Back