• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Accountability and New Friends!

Britt6633

Hi everyone! Im 1 year 2 months post op VSG. I have been very successful in the gym and my running adventures but am beginning to slip back into old habits that could hold me back from my future goals. I am in the midst of training for the Pittsburgh marathon on May 1st and would love to chat with anyone who has successfully completed races or hit major similar milestones!

Attachments

• 9CD69EDB-C950-4E6D-94B3-503CE2652A81.jpeg
    9CD69EDB-C950-4E6D-94B3-503CE2652A81.jpeg
    708.6 KB · Views: 97
Wow! look at those guns! I am NOT a runner, but have always been very physically active and my biggest reason for having VSG was I noticed that I was not doing all the active things that I used to do. I used to do masters swimming, biking, hiking, weight lifting, etc, but slowed down a lot over the last 5 years because my weight just made it more and more difficult. I also have a history of exercising a lot to try and compensate for what I was over-eating (and that worked for awhile to some extent, but then failed, obviously). I want to get back in to higher level exercise and weight lifting eventually, but also don't want to interfere with the weight loss process. Did you wait to get back to heavy work out in the gym until you had lost most of your weight?
Have also read about being too aggressive with exercise or weight lifting when you are losing causing plateau or interfering with weight loss. As you got back in shape, did you have any issues with this? Did your nutritionist/surgeon/other help or guide you through the process or did you just go for it on your own? For myself, I worry about the mindset of ..."I am working out so much that I need to replete with more food..." But, it would also make sense that if you are training hard that you would need some more protein.

I am incredibly jelly of your arms LOL I have SO much loose skin that a gym cannot remedy. Very exciting about the marathon!! When you feel yourself beginning to slip back into old habits remember why you started all this in the first place, and also remember you’re human. Perfection is not a goal, healthy living is. And I think, for what it’s worth, you’re doing amazing!

Way to go!! I had RNY 2 years ago. Lost 175 lbs. started running and did a marathon in Oct 2022. I saw a dietitian as I found it hard to fuel for long distances- worried about dumping with gels etc and needed to be mindful of food volume prior- there is not much guidance on how to do this with our restriction/limitations. I started replacing a fraction of the carbs for long runs (dates, apple sauce) but admittedly it opened Pandora’s box and I crave carbs and salt again. I have regained 10lbs but feel healthier and have decided to stick to half marathons for now:)) I find it much easier to fuel for this versus 26.2 miles. I will work towards another marathon down the road again once I have a bit more time under my belt. All the best to you with your training. Enjoy the journey:))

I’m not a runner at all. One of my girls is. She’s gone to Disney - for the Disney runs. She absolutely loves training for marathons.

Me- I’m NOT running even if I’m being chased by Jason - Freddy - or Michael or any other horror movie murdering villain. I’ll be the armed bitch firing at them from the clock tower.

I totally respect anyone who can be in marathons and truly enjoy it. Best of luck on your marathon journey and you look AMAZING! You’re doing so great!

Back