• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Addiction after Surgery

on our home page, there's a list of groups by location. You might find a group nearby. There's a phenomenon I learned about in Al-Anon called "switching addictions," which I'd noticed but didn't know it was common. Generally, the common denominator is sugar--craving sugar in food is like a cousin to craving the sugar that creates alcohol. You want an in-person group, and if you go to aa.org, you'll find a lot of resources at home and worldwide. AA has to be the most fiercely supportive group in the world and there is SO much wisdom there. I used to go to AA meetings before an Al-Anon group appeared in my town. And the Big Book is a great resource for feeling the fellowship of fellow addicts. There are 800 numbers for AA and virtually all groups drop ads in the personals of newspapers and other publications. The desire for AA support following WLS is common and as I said, they're like cousins. Addiction is addiction, and personally, I thank god for AA for leading the way in the disease of addiction.

Back