• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

adhesions...

In case you didn't read the news, apparently Lisa Marie Presley had bariatric surgery and developed adhesions, which are like scar tissue. It's a complicated story I don't think I can tell accurately, so please look it up.

Any surgery has risks and complications. the question is did Lisa Marie talk to her bariatric team? pain meds have a purpose, but what about doing tests to confirm the source of the pain? When I was At the ER on the 3rd, Even though I knew I had a kidney stone, the dr ordered a CT scan. Then they admitted me. Being admitted was new, I looked up kidney.com, after learning the stone was 11mm, the site had bariatric surgery listed as causing stones. I knew that dehydration was my primary trigger for stones but not this time. I was drinking my decaf tea 60-90 oz depending on how much time I was outside. I should also say that heat inside the house was a possible factor too since I don’t have a/c but I have a tower fan in living room and a window fan in bedroom To keep air moving. My cousin called after seeing the article about Lisa Marie knowing I had the surgery and wanting to know if I had seen it. That is support and love that means the world to me.

Diane don’t you have a birthday coming up?

Roni, you big silly! Haven't I hinted broadly enough about that? ;);)

You know, over my life in various eras that have been defined by things like health food, drugs, money, vegetarianism, free love, etc., I've had mixed feelings about my birthday. Allow me to bitch a little about it. I had seven siblings and they all had birthdays during the school year, so it was like, go to school, tell everyone to come over after school, mom bakes a cake while you're out, and instant party as soon as you come home. Except me. Man, I wanted a birthday party so bad. but in the 1950s that just didn't happen that way.

that really didn't matter when I got older because I was partying every weekend after the bars closed. I definitely made up for lost time.

Yes, I'll be 72 on the 23rd. Is anyone here older than that? I can say for sure I wouldn't be so healthy or look so good if it hadn't been for RYGB. Even though I was thin most of my life, I gained a ton after having thyroid disease, and couldn't take it off. Only surgery worked to do that.

I'm not so worried about death and aging because I'm looking forward to the end, for one big reason. I'm a cadaver donor at the University OF Washington, where I'd been in a 7-year study after having WLS. they get to take me apart and see how (or if) surgery affected any of my organs, how much fat I have and where it's located, whether or not I lived longer than I traditionally should have because of my surgery, etc. Two of my siblings have already died largely because of diabetes, and diabetes was a big contributor to my dad's health and early death.

My health is awesome. Most people think I'm in my 40s or even younger. I do hard things, equally with men, toting the same boxes or hiking the same mountains, and that's largely because of the surgery. It was the best decision of my life. But truthfully, allowing myself to get fat was the only real damage I ever did to myself.

Anyway, thanks for the mention and allow me to say Happy Birthday to you and anyone else in our group who never brings it up. That you choose to be here is such a blessing for the rest of us. And Roni, you know, especially, how my heart goes out to you, not with pity, but with love and admiration for how bravely you handle every challenge. I'm not sure I could keep up with you!

I have been being good and minding dr orders. The stent is uncomfortable so not doing big things. Still have blood in my urine and that is distressing me. Stent is supposed to come out Monday I am not so sure. Had plans to mow today. A yard worker showed so I took advantage. He removed roots that have been tearing up my lawn mower Blades. So I decided to post pone mowing. After he finished up his day we went to hardware store to pick up the replacement attic fan, last one ordered had dents in it and blade was catching. Will be nice to move air through the house again.
I just learned from my cousin her husband‘s birthday is the 23 also. He will be 65 like me this year. I am on Saturday the 29. You are right about the skipping of parties for the summer kids. I too shared that issue. Anymore it is just another day my son invited me for my birthday to come and see him Since my birthday is on the weekend. I think it will be a fun day. He will try to embarrass me at a restaurant. Or give me a sash to wear stating I am the birthday girl.
I am listed as a donor myself. And I would definitely do cadaver study too, will mention that to my son. Overall I am basically healthy, but tend to be a klutz. Tripping over my feet, sliding off the edge of a curb, tripping up stairs. Lots of runs to ER as a child. Averaged at least 1 visit per year. Life is an adventure for sure. Be fun stay safe.

Back