• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

After surgery.

The first seven days after my surgery I was only allowed clear liquids (apple juice, cranberry juice, broth, sugar free jello) and 64 ounces of water a day. The next several days was the same diet plus yogurt, cream of wheat (with milk and liquidy), protein shakes and cream soups (cream of chicken/mushroom/celery...) but i had to strain the chunks out. After three days of that diet I am on the pureed diet. I can have some meats as long as i have pureed them, I can add fat-free sour cream, gravy, salsa (pureed as well), plus all of the other things I was allowed to have in the past.
Hope this helps (also after the surgery I completely lost my hunger, but I still mentally craved things)

You should obtain your diet and portions from the dietitian. It will depend on the type of surgery your having. If you are researching just google for post surgery diet/menu for the type of surgery your investigating.

Hi brichardson, Actually, before you have surgery you should see the dietician or nutritionist at your surgery center and all that information should be provided. It is a progressive diet and you will probably be on clear liquids for a period of time, then full liquids, then pureed, then soft, then regular. You will have to get at least 60 Grams of protein usually done with shakes in the beginning. You will have to drink around 64 ounces of fluids every day which is hard right after surgery but a goal you will be able to meet. Your shakes, jello, broth, and popsickles count toward the fluid intake. You will have to remember to chew chew and then chew some more and sip sip sip and sip some more. This should all be covered before you have your surgery. Every center is different in some small ways so you really need to contact your own center and meet the nutritionist you will be working with. They should also give you all the written information you need and what is needed. I call mine my weight loss rule book. There is also a mound of information on the internet. Have you attended a seminar yet? Do you have a date or are you just looking for information? Where are you from and where will the surgery be done? Good luck on your journey. Joy

Different doctors give different eating instructions and the pureed part of the diet seems to be most common with the RNY patients. I had the sleeve and never had to eat pureed, and only had two days NPO (nothing by mouth) then two days clear liquids, then went to Phase 3 ... small amounts of mushy proteins like yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna fish, etc. It goes in phases for me, but as I said different doctors have different menus.

Back