• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Again! (revision)

My name is Kathy. I am 52 years old. I had my original wls i.e. sleeve preformed at the end of 2014. My highest weight was close to 300 lbs. My lowest weight after was 181 lbs. Currently, I stand at 215. Wow, that was a lot of information.

Anyway, after 3 years of fighting with insurance I have a tentative revision date 12/9. I am thrilled and terrified at the sametime.
I have hernias, GERD, esophagus damage plus a few more things. I am in 7 out of 10 amount of pain each day.

Boy oh boy, I fought for this sugury for over 3 years with the same insurance. I am currently feeling overwhelmed, excited and scared as crap. I just hope this works. I want a better quality of life. Additionally, I want to lose more weight. Can anyone share their revision experience? I will post my own journey over the next year. As, I hope to help some else.

My best friend had a revision about a year ago from sleeve to bypass because the sleeve caused severe GERD that no medication would touch. It took her a while to get it approved because her insurance said they would only pay for one surgery for life and it was her fault it didn’t work. She had lost over 100 pounds with the sleeve and had only gained back about 20. For her it wasn’t about the weight loss. She got her revision and has lost about 30 pounds is all and it has come off super slow. But her doctor said since she had already lost a bunch of weight to not expect much, so she’s happy. Her GERD is completely gone and she feels so much better

My best friend had a revision about a year ago from sleeve to bypass because the sleeve caused severe GERD that no medication would touch. It took her a while to get it approved because her insurance said they would only pay for one surgery for life and it was her fault it didn’t work. She had lost over 100 pounds with the sleeve and had only gained back about 20. For her it wasn’t about the weight loss. She got her revision and has lost about 30 pounds is all and it has come off super slow. But her doctor said since she had already lost a bunch of weight to not expect much, so she’s happy. Her GERD is completely gone and she feels so much better
Thank you for the post! I only want to lose 30 or more pounds. I just hate being in pain all day. I use to medicate by drinking. I stopped drinking because that can become issue too! I don't regret my sleeve. I just want a better quality of life while working and attending graduate school. I should be working on a paper this morning. However, I couldn't sleep last night. I am exhausted.

I had revision for this exact reason... I had sleeve in 2015, and then revision to bypass in 2019. I wish I had done bypass from the start... I have not had a single episode of GERD since the revision! I didn't even realize how bad I felt all the time until I did not feel bad any longer. I did not realize how poor my diet had become due to the GERD symptoms and subsisting on "slider" foods that did not cause as much issue. I can eat salads and veggies and meat again - and no amount of spice gives me any symptoms. Life changing!

I had revision for this exact reason... I had sleeve in 2015, and then revision to bypass in 2019. I wish I had done bypass from the start... I have not had a single episode of GERD since the revision! I didn't even realize how bad I felt all the time until I did not feel bad any longer. I did not realize how poor my diet had become due to the GERD symptoms and subsisting on "slider" foods that did not cause as much issue. I can eat salads and veggies and meat again - and no amount of spice gives me any symptoms. Life changing!
Thank you for the hope!

Back