• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Age am I too old?

Age is just a number. If your doctor is keeping track of your blood pressure, weight, heart and lung functions and recommends surgery, I think you can feel safe to do it. I was 56 when I had the surgery and I am 69 now and I'm so glad I did it. It changed my life quickly and my health has been steadily getting better and better for the last 13 years.

Lilly, I was 70 years old when I had my sleeve done in August. I had it done primarily done for health reasons. Before the surgery, I was worried about my age, but my Dr. assured me that I would be fine. I was very lucky and had no problems at all. The first day after surgery, I felt some discomfort, but I was medicated and slept afterwards and all night. The next morning, I was able to walk the halls and had a good day. I listened to my Dr and nutritionist to the "T". If I was on liquids, I stayed on liquids, if I was on pureed food, I stayed on pureed, etc. etc. I am now on adding all foods back into my diet and have had no problems. The best part was while in the hospital, I was taken off of 3 Rx's and a couple of weeks ago, my primary Dr. took my blood test and took me off of all Rx's, expect 2. I have to go back after the holidays for another blood test and he feels that my blood pressure Rx might be lowered. Also, I take my 4 vitamins a day and I no longer take any supplements. Am I a happy camper, YES!! Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

I am 66 and going to have the sleeve done to lose weight for health reason The Dr says it is ok at that age is anyone over 60 having it done I would like how you are doing
Hi, I am post opp almost 3 months .I just turned 66 last week. I had a gastric by pass. Did fine and doing fine. Off all blood pressure meds, down almost 70 #s. You will be fine and feel so much better. Keep us posted.

Can I just say I LOVE THIS THREAD!! So often we get side tracked by our age as if because we're X amount of years, the quality of the remaining years does not matter. If you have even 1 year left, you deserve to have it be the best you can possibly make it. As long as the doctor believes it is safe for you to do so, I think you should go for it. Good luck.

I am 67 and just had my band removed after 12 years. My pressure is okay and my A1C is 5 which they say is great. I choose to not go through anymore bariatric surgery since this has not been a walk in the park for me. I had gained back 45 pds since the band was put in but I think I can eat more cautiously now since I am not going to use surgery again. Age is not the factor, my choice is based on keeping healthy to be able to take care of my husband.

I am 67 and just had my band removed after 12 years. My pressure is okay and my A1C is 5 which they say is great. I choose to not go through anymore bariatric surgery since this has not been a walk in the park for me. I had gained back 45 pds since the band was put in but I think I can eat more cautiously now since I am not going to use surgery again. Age is not the factor, my choice is based on keeping healthy to be able to take care of my husband.

I wish you the very best!

Lilly, I was 70 years old when I had my sleeve done in August. I had it done primarily done for health reasons. Before the surgery, I was worried about my age, but my Dr. assured me that I would be fine. I was very lucky and had no problems at all. The first day after surgery, I felt some discomfort, but I was medicated and slept afterwards and all night. The next morning, I was able to walk the halls and had a good day. I listened to my Dr and nutritionist to the "T". If I was on liquids, I stayed on liquids, if I was on pureed food, I stayed on pureed, etc. etc. I am now on adding all foods back into my diet and have had no problems. The best part was while in the hospital, I was taken off of 3 Rx's and a couple of weeks ago, my primary Dr. took my blood test and took me off of all Rx's, expect 2. I have to go back after the holidays for another blood test and he feels that my blood pressure Rx might be lowered. Also, I take my 4 vitamins a day and I no longer take any supplements. Am I a happy camper, YES!! Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
I’m so grateful! I am 70 also and was wondering if I was too old.

I will be 69 in a couple of months and had sleeve bypass surgery 3 weeks ago. I decided that if I was going to live even a few more years that the surgery was the way to go. This will give me the opportunity to live a lot longer (Lord willing) and with a better quality of life. I've watched my husband struggle after having a stroke at age 64 and knew I didn't want that to be in my immediate future. 70 is not too old. Best wishes.

Back