• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

ajf55

ajf55

I am 6 wks out of Gastric Bypass, I can't seem to get enough fluid & food or protein. I just don't feel like eating & drinking, I just constantly have an upset stomach & nausea. Today only got down 30 oz of fluid & 36 oz of protein I am forcing myself & then feel worse.

Anyone else having this problem??.

I had gastric sleeve in January 2020, and yes, I struggled in the first few days and couple of weeks. If you got 66 oz combined, I would say you did well!

Remember, your stomach just had massive traumatic surgery! It will take time for your stomach and digestive track to heal, and it will also take time for your brain and body to learn how to read the new jumble of hormones and nerve signals they are getting. But it WILL happen!

Try a variety of foods and liquids, following your Doctors recommended plan, of course. Try different flavors, textures, and temperatures. Some people struggle with sweet things, making protien shakes and smoothies very hard to put down. If that is the case, you may find them easier tolerate at a different temperature (colder or warmer). You may also just not like sweets for now, so try something more savory, like bone broths.

You may be turned off by the texture of a protien shake, so adding some water to thin it out may help. (Or Magic Milk! That is a wonderful thing I discovered here... low fat milk mixed with powdered milk to double the protein! I love it ice cold!)

Try to stay positive and think towards how great will be in a few days/weeks/months when your stomach has healed and you have lost weight, and you are feeling great! It is coming, but the wait is difficult sometimes. Lean on this group, we have all been there!

Thanks for responding. I never minded shakes, but not fond of them now, not fond of juices either. Was never a big drinker of fluids. Have to keep forcing myself.

Back