• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Am I alone

Kim M

I have been really struggling emotionally, For the past 17 months much of my focus has been on losing the weight. I also felt I was doing a great deal of emotional work. Now that I am at goal or close to it, I feel anxious, depressed and fearful. Maybe I was in denial about making the emotional changes needed for long term success. I know that addiction has nothing to do with the food. I have done so much work through the years in dealing with what I thought was the reason I ate. To tolerate the discomfort in my mind, body and spirit. It seems to be worse now that I have lost the weight. I feel like an fraud. My outside looks better, but I continue to feel like if they only could see the real me they wouldn't be thinking I did a great job. Still feel broken. The weight loss was a distraction to keep me from me. As long as I could focus on that I didn't have to face me. I read so much about the physical piece and am wondering if people are not sharing the upheaval that WLS can bring. I don't think I am unique. Would appreciate any feedback.

Hi Kim
Is it a low point in your day(s) lately or have you been feeling this way for more than a week or two? Could it be that you feel that the journey to the new you is nearing the end? Please call your surgery psychologist and discuss your feeling now. I am so proud of what you have accomplished and would give you a big hug if I could so could you do me a big favor and give yourself a big hug for me? Please keep in touch and think of this time now to start the second half of your journey and loose the "fat" you carry on the inside that is unhealthy and unhappy. Please grab a big pillow or cushion and give yourself a big hug from me to you with all the love and sincerity you can muster. Love &best wishes for you, katie

No you are not alone, on a good note Congratulations on meeting your goal, way to go, now my story, I to felt this way , I had to seek some help and my therapist helped understand I needed to either forgive or let go of things from my childhood and that I needed to build a New Susan a New Confident Strong Women who could handle anything, and not use food as a way out for an emotional stress release, I'm sure we are not alone , I wish you luck in your new journey, what you have to remind yourself is you have not come this far to fail, keep a smile on your face and stay strong

Kim, I find the blog by user Linney to be very comforting. She talks about the emotional aspects of losing who you were.

Like you said your main focus has been the weight loss for SOOO long and now that you are there its like ok what now. Some therapy sessions would do a world of good whether you think you need it or not. We hold on to so much emotional baggage sometimes we need a release before that release was more than likely food.

Back