• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Another constipation post...

Thankful for the search feature on this site because I went back in the archives to see the experiences and advice given at the time.
I am over three months post op and I'm still having constipation issues. I was never a poop-everyday person before surgery anyway so it's like groundhog's day when I remember that it's time to poop and it's too late because I forgot to take my daily miralax on the days I wasn't poopin'.
Does this last long? Because I made the decision to have the sleeve, I'm doomed to painful constipation for the rest of my life? I know people have mentioned salads--but I haven't introduced leafy greens back yet.
If anyone has any new suggestions/products they know of, I'd be super appreciative!

To be totally honest, and this might not have been the way to deal with it, but what I did was take miralax everyday until I had diarrhea. Then I would take Miralax every other day. Then I would do every 2 days. This helped me get on a schedule. I’m sure there are better ways, but that’s how I did it.

I am 1 week away from my 3 months post surgery ( RNY )
Constipation has bugged me since about week 3
I take 1 stool softner pill a day and have one capfull of mirilax each day
That keeps me regular - I have stopped the mirilaz when I "feel good" then a few days later I am regretting it
So I just take each day and it's all good - my surgeon said taking the two everyday long term is fine if it helps right now .

fiberFiberFIBER!!!!

Try It! Don't put antifreeze in your body to move your bowels.

Fiber laxatives WORK and there's evidence they also lower cholesterol.

Please, try psyllium for a week. You can take it as Metamucil or in bulk as psyllium and in capsules, though that's a rip-off. You can mix it in your Cream of Wheat or just mix in 1/4 cup of fluid and shoot it down, then rinse the residue a few times for extra liquid and get all the fiber. If you can, drink a whole glass of water after.

I had never been constipated in my life until I was post-op. And it was EPIC. It took me 24 hours of painful pushing and actions too gross to mention, and what finally came out of me ... too big to flush.

I got religion, quick. Stool softeners, as Desi mentioned, are a great help. I think they're just mineral oil in a gel cap, so a teaspoon of mineral oil swallowed quickly followed by a big glass of water, will work wonders.

Your ability to digest food has been compromised and you need to help it along, even years later.

It's a wonderful feeling in your abdomen after a great evacuation. What you put in your body after WLS, will improve every aspect of your health. The better your body works the more youth and vitality you'll have. I'm pushing 70 but most people guess I'm in my 40s. I hike mile-high mountains with a loaded pack. I canoe lakes and rivers alone, kneeling in the middle of my boat. I take fiber laxative daily and my guts feel like they're made of silk.

Curing OBESITY may be the least impressive aspect of WLS.

fiberFiberFIBER!!!!

Try It! Don't put antifreeze in your body to move your bowels.

Fiber laxatives WORK and there's evidence they also lower cholesterol.

Please, try psyllium for a week. You can take it as Metamucil or in bulk as psyllium and in capsules, though that's a rip-off. You can mix it in your Cream of Wheat or just mix in 1/4 cup of fluid and shoot it down, then rinse the residue a few times for extra liquid and get all the fiber. If you can, drink a whole glass of water after.

I had never been constipated in my life until I was post-op. And it was EPIC. It took me 24 hours of painful pushing and actions too gross to mention, and what finally came out of me ... too big to flush.

I got religion, quick. Stool softeners, as Desi mentioned, are a great help. I think they're just mineral oil in a gel cap, so a teaspoon of mineral oil swallowed quickly followed by a big glass of water, will work wonders.

Your ability to digest food has been compromised and you need to help it along, even years later.

It's a wonderful feeling in your abdomen after a great evacuation. What you put in your body after WLS, will improve every aspect of your health. The better your body works the more youth and vitality you'll have. I'm pushing 70 but most people guess I'm in my 40s. I hike mile-high mountains with a loaded pack. I canoe lakes and rivers alone, kneeling in the middle of my boat. I take fiber laxative daily and my guts feel like they're made of silk.

Curing OBESITY may be the least impressive aspect of WLS.

Thanks Diane! I was hoping you would comment because I had seen your responses before. I guess everyone in my neighborhood is having issues too because the benefiber was sold out at my local target!
I got some pills and Milk of mag for now, but I will get some fiber and magnesium supplements next week. I'll put some reminders on my phone too to remember to take them--its the "oh no, i have to poop and its too late" that's really kicking me in the butt--lol

What a good idea, setting timers! I'm gonna steal that!

I have "urge incontinence." By the time I get the urge, it's all I can do to get to the toilet. Your post reminded me that my doctor suggested I set a urination schedule, which didn't work, but now I'm going to set timers! That way I can set a schedule.

It has the added benefit of going off more frequently than my meds timers on my cell phone, which I'm constantly losing. I lost it bad 2 days ago. It slid off & under my couch.i would never have found it if not for timers.

Thanks, Diz.

What's it like, Judy? Metamucil thickens up into a goo really fast. I could never tolerate it in coffee. What's Benefiber like?
It's just a fine powder that comes in single serve packets and just disappears. Now I haven't had it in a cold beverage and maybe you have to stir a little longer but it should dissolve completely. I never had a really bad issue with constipation, only needed a little help the last couple of months. Because I was on so many antibiotics because of sepsis I actually had the opposite problem for the first few months! Okay, enough said. LOL!

I should have said this before .. I LOVE everyone's new photos!! Lisa, 3mom, Diane, Judy & Tracey all have new photos in just last month or so and you guys all look AMAZING! It inspired me to take my new one .. and look at the first one I had on this site. :oops: We've come a long way, babies! And Diane, you're there showing us we can absolutely stay successful.

Thanks, Missy! I noticed that Judy had mentioned someone's new photo, and i had a gag photo up, so i decided to get real for the sake of newcomers' first impressions. I need to find a more recent picture, though. That one is almost a year old and i stopped coloring my hair. Also, i no longer wear glasses.

I noticed your picture, too, and it's SO PRETTY! I'm so glad you updated it. Maybe others will update theirs, too, since you pointed this out.

Much love, kiddo!;)

I dont typically have this problem but the opposite. Ahen I do I take a gummy fiber and that seems to help. You can take several a day but I only take one and for a few days and it works. But do note, because we have less food going in, its not going to come out as often.

I dont typically have this problem but the opposite. Ahen I do I take a gummy fiber and that seems to help. You can take several a day but I only take one and for a few days and it works. But do note, because we have less food going in, its not going to come out as often.
And there's your face! Great pic & I LOVE your hat! Where did you get it? I have a thing for Xmas hats.

And there's your face! Great pic & I LOVE your hat! Where did you get it? I have a thing for Xmas hats.

Either walmart or target i dont remember. But I know Claire's also had them. I prefer the elf one but settled for santa when that was all I could get. We had a work meeting yesterday and had to wear something Christmas.

Thankful for the search feature on this site because I went back in the archives to see the experiences and advice given at the time.
I am over three months post op and I'm still having constipation issues. I was never a poop-everyday person before surgery anyway so it's like groundhog's day when I remember that it's time to poop and it's too late because I forgot to take my daily miralax on the days I wasn't poopin'.
Does this last long? Because I made the decision to have the sleeve, I'm doomed to painful constipation for the rest of my life? I know people have mentioned salads--but I haven't introduced leafy greens back yet.
If anyone has any new suggestions/products they know of, I'd be super appreciative!
When this is an issue for me I drink 1/2 cup of heated prune juice.

Back