• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Any chefs? Does anyone still cook elaborate meals for family after surgery?

Jodle

My surgery is in 2 weeks and one day. So my last day of eating ‘regular’ meals is tomorrow. I’m gettting very apprehensive. I LOVE to cook, and love to eat, so it’s hard for me give it up/to say goodbye.
Any other ‘chefs’ out there? Did you stop cooking after surgery? What did you do to take its place?

Imho, cooking at home is the absolute key to success!! I cook almost every dinner we eat. I actually enjoy cooking more now because I've expanded my palate. I pretty much live by "fail to plan = plan to fail" It's when I step off my plan that it all goes awry.

Meal planning and preparation are just more tools for your journey. So, fear not! Your love of cooking is a great thing that can only help you in the long run.

I am 4 months post op and still cooking up a storm. Healthier options, sometimes a short order cook for other family, but the cooking continues! You may need a break from it for a little while post op as you'll be on stricter dietary options, but once you start re-adding pureed, soft foods, and onto full diet, you can puree things you're making for others, incorporate soft foods for yourself that you're also serving, and finally re-introduce many other foods gradually.

Oh yes... baking is my love language! I still cook and bake. The content of what I make is much different than it was back in the day. I have been told that no one can tell my baking is sugar-free; I have worked a lot at getting textures and flavors right using alternate sweeteners (NEVER Splenda).

My surgery is in 2 weeks and one day. So my last day of eating ‘regular’ meals is tomorrow. I’m gettting very apprehensive. I LOVE to cook, and love to eat, so it’s hard for me give it up/to say goodbye.
Any other ‘chefs’ out there? Did you stop cooking after surgery? What did you do to take its place?
Good luck on your journey!
I am 4 months post op now, I began cooking again 1 week after surgery. I love cooking, been cooking for the family since tge age of 10 when my grandmother passed. 58 now and tons of experience under my belt lol. It is what I do when I'm stressed or nervous or mad, go to the kitchen and cook.....hmmm maybe that's why my hubby picks a fight with me lol just kidding.
Throughout my life of dieting I have learned alot. Incorporated many things into my cooking but mostly fell back on my big budget friendly meals which equals tons of fat, calories and carbs but delicious lol.
After my hubby's heart issues in 2020, we moved to the mediterranean diet and we love it. Since then we became more relaxed and brought back some old timers, not good for the waistline.
Having my knee injury has kept me from elaborate meals and family gatherings at my house.
I have one son still at home and he's been buying and cooking for himself, very particular food requirements, he's 24 so he can buy his fancy food and cook it. So I cook mostly for me hubby and mother in law when she cones over.
I'm learning to cook less food, I try to cook healthier meals, but I will eat what I'm in the mood for just less of it. I've lost 44 pounds to date and am very happy with my surgery! Good luck! Follow what your surgeon and dietician advise and know your journey is what you make it! Follow what you feel,what works for me may not work for you. Keep strong as the liquids etc get old after a while but push through allow your body to heal, cook and freeze for the family to make it easier for yourself. Sip sip sip then sip some more. Rest rest rest then rest some more. Praying for a smooth journey for you!

Good luck on your journey!
I am 4 months post op now, I began cooking again 1 week after surgery. I love cooking, been cooking for the family since tge age of 10 when my grandmother passed. 58 now and tons of experience under my belt lol. It is what I do when I'm stressed or nervous or mad, go to the kitchen and cook.....hmmm maybe that's why my hubby picks a fight with me lol just kidding.
Throughout my life of dieting I have learned alot. Incorporated many things into my cooking but mostly fell back on my big budget friendly meals which equals tons of fat, calories and carbs but delicious lol.
After my hubby's heart issues in 2020, we moved to the mediterranean diet and we love it. Since then we became more relaxed and brought back some old timers, not good for the waistline.
Having my knee injury has kept me from elaborate meals and family gatherings at my house.
I have one son still at home and he's been buying and cooking for himself, very particular food requirements, he's 24 so he can buy his fancy food and cook it. So I cook mostly for me hubby and mother in law when she cones over.
I'm learning to cook less food, I try to cook healthier meals, but I will eat what I'm in the mood for just less of it. I've lost 44 pounds to date and am very happy with my surgery! Good luck! Follow what your surgeon and dietician advise and know your journey is what you make it! Follow what you feel,what works for me may not work for you. Keep strong as the liquids etc get old after a while but push through allow your body to heal, cook and freeze for the family to make it easier for yourself. Sip sip sip then sip some more. Rest rest rest then rest some more. Praying for a smooth journey for you!
Thank you—

Back