• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Any good bariatric surgeons in Mexico?

MFD

I contacted Dr. Francisco Gonzalez in Mexico through MexMedTours.com they seem very professional company, he answered all my questions and took the time to go through all my concerns. Just wanted to hear thoughts from people that have worked with this doctor.

Hi I HAD A LAP BAND TWO YRS AGO IN TJ HONESTLY EVERYTHING WAS STATE OF THE ART INCLUDING I BROUGHT MY SISTER WHO STAYED WITH ME. THIS WAS MY DRS SUGGESTION. I LIVE IN SPO. WA AND DID NOT DO RESEARCH ABOUT WHO WOULD DO MY FOLLOW UP CARE. NO DR. WOULD SEE ME.....ONE DR. WANTED $1000 AND A LONG WAIT AT THAT. I FOUND A NS WHO WOULD DO MY FILLS LIKE A BACK ROOM SERVICE WITH NO MONITORING OR FOLLOW UP OF ANY KIND....I KNEW THIS WAS UNPROFFIONAL AND UNSAFE...I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS SHE DROPPED ME!!!!!! MY PRIMARY CARE DR. FINALLY CONVINCED A BARIATRIC SPEC. TO SEE ME. ENDED UP WITH EMERGENCY SURGERY FOUR DAYS IN THE HOSP. OH I LEFT FROM SAN DIEGO ON A CRUISE SO I MADE A APPT. IN TJ FOR A FILL THE DR. DID USE A SCOPE BUT FILLED ME FOUR TIMES THE RECOMM. DOSE..I HAD SEVERE PROB.. ON THE CRUISE. YES THE SERVICE WAS GREATTHE MEDICAL TEAM SEEMED GREAT BUT WITH NO FOLLOW CARE AND MONITORING IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO BE A SUCCESS AND BE HEALTHY. I HOPE MY STORRY HELPS AND YOU WILL CHECK EVERYTHING OUT CAREFULLY. ELAINE

Hi MFD, Welcome. Be very careful, like Elaine stated without proper follow up care complications can turn into an emergency either very quickly or slowly over time, none the less they can be life threatening. If you are having the Lap Band I see how that can cause some issues, if you are having a sleeve or RnY make sure your primary care physisian will be able to monitor your vitamin levels along with the regular bloodwork to make sure you are getting proper nutrients you need. If you live near Mexico then follow ups should not be an issue, just a hop across the border. Whatever you decide I wish you the best of care, it has been a wonderful journey for me. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Watch on 20/20 a few years ago you really have to be careful. Some doctors that are disbarred go down there and set up a meat market.

My husband and I was told in group that Not many or if any doctors will see a patient who has had weight loss surgery done outside of the United States and Mexico..This is to protect them from any liability..This is a life change and you will need a doctor for the rest of your life who knows about bariactric surgery and will do the right test...This is just my opinion and Mexico scares me to have any medical work done there.

My son lives near Dallas, Texas. He has no insurance coverage, though no insurance I know of will pay for the procedure he wanted anyway. So, on 8-10-12, he went to TJ for his mgb. He researched beforehand into various doctors, etc. He spoke with his pcp to let him know what he was doing. Pcp was fine with it, perhaps in part because he was concerned about Michael's co-morbidities of diabetes and hypertension.

Michael is doing well, progressing well with his protein intake and other food and down 40 pounds, much to his surprise and delight.

I know he doesn't get the exercise I would hope for him. He is a "local" truck driver, spending up to 18 hours away from home. Finding time for dedicated exercise is problematic, at best.

Out-of-country surgery definitely isn't for everybody. It is, however, a viable option for some.

Back