• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Any regrets?

Kristiterr

I am new here, and just filled out a very long informational questioner to get the sleeve. It talks a lot about all the side effects and long term struggles. I came on here to read some posts. I am having some personal doubts. Do you recommend it, even with all it includes? Do you wish you had gone a different route? Thoughts?

I'm just shy of being three months out of the sleeve surgery and I don't regret it at all. Like most here I yo-yoed. I would lose weight and then gain it back plus some. I was on medically supervised diets, fad diets, weight loss drugs, programs, etc. None of them worked long term. This is a tool I can use LIVE my life. I don't have cravings like I used to (I needed to eat something sweet every day... Since the surgery I haven't had anything). I am currently reintroducing foods into my diet and yes I do need to meal prep and I do need to portion my food out but I am not hungry like I used to. I'm not sure in the end how much I will lose but I feel better already. I can walk long distances, stand for long periods, and my clothes are falling off. So to answer your question... No I don't regret it at all!

Hello and welcome!

For years, I talked myself out of WLS. I have ALWAYS been obese, I literally do not remember a time in my life when I wasn't fat. I was convinced I could do this without surgery, and I did many times. Last time I lost 170 lbs (8 yrs ago) and skin removal/tummy tuck and within 2 years gained it ALL back plus 40 lbs!! Then about a year ago my doctor (who has been for almost 20 years and seen me go up and down so many times) actually asked me if I had ever thought about WLS. I explained to him of course I have, and then explained my personal pros and cons. Ever since that day I thought about it constantly. Then I told my wife that I was seriously considering it now because I was so desperate. I know how to eat healthy, I understand nutrition and macros and portion sizes. I just couldn't get full, my stomach literally always growls. To loose that weight I ate 1200 cals a day max and I was ALWAYS hungry. It was a constant battle to force myself not to eat. Not head hunger, real hunger the difference is very clear for me. I had a conversation with her about everything, and her only response was "I have seen you struggle for 15 years, I can totally support you wanting to doing this now".
I still wasn't convinced yet, but I made an apt with the surgeon and talked it out. I really wanted the sleeve as it is less of an invasive change to your digestive system but he was highly against it because of my severe GERD. He explained why and the likeliness that I would still have it and maybe worse. (I was already on 2 medications for it and still ate tums daily). At this point, I went home and read everything you could imagine and researched like it was my job. It took me about 4 months before I decided that I really had to do this. My only comorbidity is high blood pressure but literally EVERYTHING runs in my family. They are all obese and all unhealthy and I knew that my time was coming and one day I was gonna wake up and everything was going to go to hell and fast. So that is the day I called the center back and scheduled my classes and started making all of my appointments.
I am not 6 weeks post bypass and I have ZERO regrets. I had 1 frustrating day (food related, if you search in here you will find me bitching about it) and otherwise I have had an ideal recovery. I know I am not very far out and things may change but I doubt it. As I mentioned, I know how to eat healthy and what I needed from the surgery is to physically be able to eat less and that is exactly what it did. As a bonus, I am also just never hungry or never have the urge to eat. I am sure the urge and hunger will return at some point, but as long as the restriction is there I will be just fine. I have very high hopes and a very positive outlook on what's to come and finally keeping this weight off.
In addition to my EXTREMELY LONG POST, I am off all of my GERD medications and have had zero acid problems since the day of surgery. And, I was on 2 blood pressure medications that was barely controlling it as I was still on the "low end of the high range", 130s/90s) and now I am only on 1 medication and have perfect blood pressure.

Sorry it is so long but I hopes it gives you some insight on at least my personal experience and helps you make your decision.

I'm just shy of being three months out of the sleeve surgery and I don't regret it at all. Like most here I yo-yoed. I would lose weight and then gain it back plus some. I was on medically supervised diets, fad diets, weight loss drugs, programs, etc. None of them worked long term. This is a tool I can use LIVE my life. I don't have cravings like I used to (I needed to eat something sweet every day... Since the surgery I haven't had anything). I am currently reintroducing foods into my diet and yes I do need to meal prep and I do need to portion my food out but I am not hungry like I used to. I'm not sure in the end how much I will lose but I feel better already. I can walk long distances, stand for long periods, and my clothes are falling off. So to answer your question... No I don't regret it at all!

Thank you. I relate to everything you said.

Hello and welcome!

For years, I talked myself out of WLS. I have ALWAYS been obese, I literally do not remember a time in my life when I wasn't fat. I was convinced I could do this without surgery, and I did many times. Last time I lost 170 lbs (8 yrs ago) and skin removal/tummy tuck and within 2 years gained it ALL back plus 40 lbs!! Then about a year ago my doctor (who has been for almost 20 years and seen me go up and down so many times) actually asked me if I had ever thought about WLS. I explained to him of course I have, and then explained my personal pros and cons. Ever since that day I thought about it constantly. Then I told my wife that I was seriously considering it now because I was so desperate. I know how to eat healthy, I understand nutrition and macros and portion sizes. I just couldn't get full, my stomach literally always growls. To loose that weight I ate 1200 cals a day max and I was ALWAYS hungry. It was a constant battle to force myself not to eat. Not head hunger, real hunger the difference is very clear for me. I had a conversation with her about everything, and her only response was "I have seen you struggle for 15 years, I can totally support you wanting to doing this now".
I still wasn't convinced yet, but I made an apt with the surgeon and talked it out. I really wanted the sleeve as it is less of an invasive change to your digestive system but he was highly against it because of my severe GERD. He explained why and the likeliness that I would still have it and maybe worse. (I was already on 2 medications for it and still ate tums daily). At this point, I went home and read everything you could imagine and researched like it was my job. It took me about 4 months before I decided that I really had to do this. My only comorbidity is high blood pressure but literally EVERYTHING runs in my family. They are all obese and all unhealthy and I knew that my time was coming and one day I was gonna wake up and everything was going to go to hell and fast. So that is the day I called the center back and scheduled my classes and started making all of my appointments.
I am not 6 weeks post bypass and I have ZERO regrets. I had 1 frustrating day (food related, if you search in here you will find me bitching about it) and otherwise I have had an ideal recovery. I know I am not very far out and things may change but I doubt it. As I mentioned, I know how to eat healthy and what I needed from the surgery is to physically be able to eat less and that is exactly what it did. As a bonus, I am also just never hungry or never have the urge to eat. I am sure the urge and hunger will return at some point, but as long as the restriction is there I will be just fine. I have very high hopes and a very positive outlook on what's to come and finally keeping this weight off.
In addition to my EXTREMELY LONG POST, I am off all of my GERD medications and have had zero acid problems since the day of surgery. And, I was on 2 blood pressure medications that was barely controlling it as I was still on the "low end of the high range", 130s/90s) and now I am only on 1 medication and have perfect blood pressure.

Sorry it is so long but I hopes it gives you some insight on at least my personal experience and helps you make your decision.

I love that you took the time to write all of that, and this really helps. Thank you.

I am new here, and just filled out a very long informational questioner to get the sleeve. It talks a lot about all the side effects and long term struggles. I came on here to read some posts. I am having some personal doubts. Do you recommend it, even with all it includes? Do you wish you had gone a different route? Thoughts?
SO I haven't had it yet - I'm getting it in less than a month - and it's been a really long time in the making - I will say though - one thing that really encouraged me was when I was at my arthritis doctor of all places and told him I was considering surgery and he was ALLLLLLLL about it - he told me how many patients of his no longer need his services, how he has seen people's lives change for the better, how each pound of weight puts a certain amount of weight on my knees and allllllll this other stuff. And I thought it was interesting and encouraging because he wasn't the surgeon, he was a dr that I have seen for years - and he wouldn't benefit from me having the surgery if that makes any sense?!
Also when I brought it up to my husband who has seen me fail and thrive so many different times - he was soooo supportive of it.
And the risks of complications are super duper low with the sleeve which is helpful too.
And I found out that losing weight with PCOS is pretty difficult without the surgery anyways - so all in all this is also a long post but it's me just rambling because I would encourage everyone that needs this to get it hahaha.

SO I haven't had it yet - I'm getting it in less than a month - and it's been a really long time in the making - I will say though - one thing that really encouraged me was when I was at my arthritis doctor of all places and told him I was considering surgery and he was ALLLLLLLL about it - he told me how many patients of his no longer need his services, how he has seen people's lives change for the better, how each pound of weight puts a certain amount of weight on my knees and allllllll this other stuff. And I thought it was interesting and encouraging because he wasn't the surgeon, he was a dr that I have seen for years - and he wouldn't benefit from me having the surgery if that makes any sense?!
Also when I brought it up to my husband who has seen me fail and thrive so many different times - he was soooo supportive of it.
And the risks of complications are super duper low with the sleeve which is helpful too.
And I found out that losing weight with PCOS is pretty difficult without the surgery anyways - so all in all this is also a long post but it's me just rambling because I would encourage everyone that needs this to get it hahaha.

Thank you.

Hi. I had the bypass in June of 2020. I have always been overweight, all the women in my family are overweight. I had lost 100lbs twice in the past, only to gain it back, plus some the second I started eating blank again. I did Atkins (keto of my generation lol) and Herbalife. Due to all the yoyo dieting and years of overeating, my body had no idea which way was up. Or rather, the only way it did know was UP UP UP.

I had been thinking about surgery for years. But people love to tell you horror stories. "I'm tired all the time. I wish I'd never done it. I can't eat anything. I'm sick all the time" So I put it off. And I'm here to tell you while people DO have complications, they're not common. Most of the complaints I heard were actually based on their own mistakes. Giving up the required vitamins, eating unhealthy foods, overeating, etc. And then we went to Italy for our 10-year anniversary. I had to skip the last part of the Vatican tour because I literally could not take another step. I had pushed myself as far as I could throughout the week, and I had nothing left. I sat on the stairs and cried; because of the pain and because I was so freaking fat that I was missing out on the VATICAN! How much of my life was I willing to give up?

I had ALL the comorbidities and a few other things too. I currently have no health issues. No diabetes, no fatty liver, my blood pressure is great, my blood work is good. The damage that acid reflux had caused to my esophagus is healing. I still have arthritis, but I no longer have to take multiple pills every day to deal with the pain. When it rains, I might take 1 Tylenol. Or I might just watch how I take the stairs.

I choose the bypass for my own reasons. But I would 100% do it again. I feel as good as I felt at 30. I'm 52. My husband and I took a 2-week road trip across the country last summer. I climbed around Sequoia, hiked a bit in the Grand Canyon, walked for miles and miles in the dessert of Utah, went white water rafting in Colorado, danced my ass off in the jazz clubs of Kansas City, all without losing my breath. And so, my husband, who spent every day of that vacation exhausted, just had the sleeve in Feb. Because why wouldn't you want to live your very best life? Or at least feel the very best you can?

Do I miss eating a dozen chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven? A little. But I can still have one. And even if I couldn't, I would not give up the way I feel for anything.

That's good to keep in mind. I am nervous about not doing my supplements right, and having complications. Looks like the bariatrics supplements are around $100 per month plus protein shakes and measuring out every meal for the rest of my life. I do want to live my healthiest life, and it's the reason I started this journey, but reading the new client packet has given me pause. I love reading everyone's real experiences about it, and plan to continue with all the expected appointments. I'm tempted to try being as strict as it says I'm going to have to be with me starting now, and see if I can maintain that, including all that goes with it, measuring out all meals, meal prep for the week, supplements, protein shakes... thoughts?

That's good to keep in mind. I am nervous about not doing my supplements right, and having complications. Looks like the bariatrics supplements are around $100 per month plus protein shakes and measuring out every meal for the rest of my life. I do want to live my healthiest life, and it's the reason I started this journey, but reading the new client packet has given me pause. I love reading everyone's real experiences about it, and plan to continue with all the expected appointments. I'm tempted to try being as strict as it says I'm going to have to be with me starting now, and see if I can maintain that, including all that goes with it, measuring out all meals, meal prep for the week, supplements, protein shakes... thoughts?
How are you getting $100 a month in supplements? Maybe your team makes you take a bunch of different ones? To start i have to take a multivitamin and calcium and it cost me about $20-25 a month???
When I have blood work, there could be a chance I need some others so maybe if I had to take 5 or 6 different ones it might reach $100.

I had a sleeve after my LapBand eroded and port flipped. I was not as savvy about researching and advocating for myself at that time, and 2 years later, GERD had become such an issue that I had to convert to bypass. Oh, how I wish I had just done the bypass originally!!!

I had a sleeve after my LapBand eroded and port flipped. I was not as savvy about researching and advocating for myself at that time, and 2 years later, GERD had become such an issue that I had to convert to bypass. Oh, how I wish I had just done the bypass originally!!!
WOW! You have all the experiences, you probably have so much insight! Glad it worked out for you at the end.

Shop around for supplements. There are Bariatric surgery specific ones where you don’t have to take a whole handful to get what you need. Also, if you don’t mind taking more, you can get supplements from your local drug store. Don’t get too overwhelmed. You can do this!

How are you getting $100 a month in supplements? Maybe your team makes you take a bunch of different ones? To start i have to take a multivitamin and calcium and it cost me about $20-25 a month???
When I have blood work, there could be a chance I need some others so maybe if I had to take 5 or 6 different ones it might reach $100.

It was saying that a lot of multivitamins won't work, and suggested a bariatrics specific brand such as Celebrate. The vitamin pack for 30 days is $110. It's why I'm on here asking questions, since it seems a bit like high maintenance.

It was saying that a lot of multivitamins won't work, and suggested a bariatrics specific brand such as Celebrate. The vitamin pack for 30 days is $110. It's why I'm on here asking questions, since it seems a bit like high maintenance.
I use a Bariatric multi vitamin. Its 30 bucks for 90 pills, once a day is $10 a month. Calcium is calcium you just have to get 1500 mg a day. Some people do take a bunch of different supplements though, and I could see that adding up.
My program has us start with the muli and calcium and then will adjust if needed when the first round of blood work is completed.
I guess it really just depends on what your program has you taking but there are lots of "bariatric" vitamins.

I use a Bariatric multi vitamin. Its 30 bucks for 90 pills, once a day is $10 a month. Calcium is calcium you just have to get 1500 mg a day. Some people do take a bunch of different supplements though, and I could see that adding up.
My program has us start with the muli and calcium and then will adjust if needed when the first round of blood work is completed.
I guess it really just depends on what your program has you taking but there are lots of "bariatric" vitamins.

Ok, well that's good to know. Thank you.

There are a ton of bariatric specific vitamins out there. I use Bariatric Fusion (chewable 4x's a day) for around $25 a month and don't have to take anything else. No calcium, no iron, no nothing. And my blood work is good. Many people here have found a 1 a day bariatric that works for them.

I do occasionally still measure my food. I can eat more than I thought I would be able to and still can't always eyeball 4 oz. It isn't an everyday thing any longer, just another tool to keep me on track. When I get up to my personal max, I start measuring again until I hit the low weight. There is only a 5lb difference between my high and low. Some people are okay with 10. I always try to stay aware of what I am eating, but sometimes a really fun weekend involves wine, pasta and shared desserts. I'm fine with it.

I do not drink protein shakes at all anymore. I do add a scoop of protein powder (bought at Aldi for $15 a tub) to my overnight oats and my pudding. The tub lasts me for about 3 months, so it's not expensive at all.

The first year is very focused and restricted. You will need protein shakes and you'll use that time to train yourself on what a serving size looks like. But after that, all the work you've put in to training yourself kicks in and becomes habit. I still struggle sometimes, and sometimes I don't think about it at all.

There are a ton of bariatric specific vitamins out there. I use Bariatric Fusion (chewable 4x's a day) for around $25 a month and don't have to take anything else. No calcium, no iron, no nothing. And my blood work is good. Many people here have found a 1 a day bariatric that works for them.

I do occasionally still measure my food. I can eat more than I thought I would be able to and still can't always eyeball 4 oz. It isn't an everyday thing any longer, just another tool to keep me on track. When I get up to my personal max, I start measuring again until I hit the low weight. There is only a 5lb difference between my high and low. Some people are okay with 10. I always try to stay aware of what I am eating, but sometimes a really fun weekend involves wine, pasta and shared desserts. I'm fine with it.

I do not drink protein shakes at all anymore. I do add a scoop of protein powder (bought at Aldi for $15 a tub) to my overnight oats and my pudding. The tub lasts me for about 3 months, so it's not expensive at all.

The first year is very focused and restricted. You will need protein shakes and you'll use that time to train yourself on what a serving size looks like. But after that, all the work you've put in to training yourself kicks in and becomes habit. I still struggle sometimes, and sometimes I don't think about it at all.

Thank you. This is extremely helpful. What you described is something I can do.

Back