• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Any vegetarian or vegetarian-leaning folks out there?

I’m about 4 months pre-op and thinking about how this will work long term. Any experiences / wisdom you’d like to share? I also avoid dairy most of the time.
Please check the Recipes section to find lots of great ideas. I posted a reply to one of the threads to give you an example of a breakfast scramble. WazzuCoug is a long-time member who is mostly meatless and has posted lots of plant-based and/or vegetarian ideas that usually help you get protein, or just sound delicious. You also might try doing a search using "vegetarian" or "plant based" as search terms. Good luck! Also please feel free to post your own vegetarian and vegan recipes in the Recipes section to make them easy for browsing.

Please check the Recipes section to find lots of great ideas. I posted a reply to one of the threads to give you an example of a breakfast scramble. WazzuCoug is a long-time member who is mostly meatless and has posted lots of plant-based and/or vegetarian ideas that usually help you get protein, or just sound delicious. You also might try doing a search using "vegetarian" or "plant based" as search terms. Good luck! Also please feel free to post your own vegetarian and vegan recipes in the Recipes section to make them easy for browsing.
Thank you for the guidance!!

I was an ovo;lacto vegetarian for four years. Not my choice, exactly. I'd been feeling sickly and i'd come home from work and puke my dinner into the sink. A few weeks later I discovered I was pregnant. Could barely stomach traditional meat entrees. You oughta taste my soybean burgers!

the most important thing I discovered on this ages-long journey is to eat small portions, and do so slowly. I put my fork down between bites. I want people to think I'm something next-door to attractive (because I think I'm so homely") so anytime I eat a meal I am dainty and chatty and smiley and no one notices that I just push my food around on my plate without eating it.

before that, i spent years battling eating disorders from adolescence, including bulimarexia. My mom was always freaking out, asking me when was the last time I ate, did i eat anything today, my clothes were falling off me, etc.

RYGB was my only solution, and I tried EVERYTHING. Some of us will never be able to lose weight without surgery. It's nothing to be ashamed of. obesity is a deadly disease with frightening comorbidities and people who poke fun or make jokes or mock should be ashamed. Onetime when i was crossing the street in front of a bunch of rednecks in a pickup truck, they all hung out the windows and moooooooed at me.

I eat well, though. I could probably get at least an AA degree for all I've learned about nutrition.

there are two kinds of food: myth and truth. I used to ask a leading question about a myth so I could manipulate the person I was talking to into urging me to eat this or that thing i shouldn't eat. now I know the truth, and if I don't, I research it til i do.

pardon my typing of late. I've been in bed with a fever for about two weeks. not covid. just some weird aberration.

you can begin being healthier by cutting meat consumption by 50 percent, then 40, then 30. Then it can be used for flavoring other dishes or consumed in small amounts.

Not vegetarian here. Diane sorry to hear you have not been feeling 100%. Take care of yourself. My body has decided to make me slow down on the projects and outside work. I took last two days off mostly May have done 30 min to hour of activities. Just feeling exhausted. Today I went out to work on pool filter after trying to yesterday and calling it quits after I messed up. Dog decided to escape and run around the neighborhood. I made some new friends, a 12 year old 10 year old and 7 yr old siblings in the same family. First they offered to help catch the dog running around the neighborhood. Then with their dad’s permission, They helped me get the filter up and running and it made me happy. I have offered them swim time in exchange for the help as soon as I clear the green water.

I was an ovo;lacto vegetarian for four years. Not my choice, exactly. I'd been feeling sickly and i'd come home from work and puke my dinner into the sink. A few weeks later I discovered I was pregnant. Could barely stomach traditional meat entrees. You oughta taste my soybean burgers!

the most important thing I discovered on this ages-long journey is to eat small portions, and do so slowly. I put my fork down between bites. I want people to think I'm something next-door to attractive (because I think I'm so homely") so anytime I eat a meal I am dainty and chatty and smiley and no one notices that I just push my food around on my plate without eating it.

before that, i spent years battling eating disorders from adolescence, including bulimarexia. My mom was always freaking out, asking me when was the last time I ate, did i eat anything today, my clothes were falling off me, etc.

RYGB was my only solution, and I tried EVERYTHING. Some of us will never be able to lose weight without surgery. It's nothing to be ashamed of. obesity is a deadly disease with frightening comorbidities and people who poke fun or make jokes or mock should be ashamed. Onetime when i was crossing the street in front of a bunch of rednecks in a pickup truck, they all hung out the windows and moooooooed at me.

I eat well, though. I could probably get at least an AA degree for all I've learned about nutrition.

there are two kinds of food: myth and truth. I used to ask a leading question about a myth so I could manipulate the person I was talking to into urging me to eat this or that thing i shouldn't eat. now I know the truth, and if I don't, I research it til i do.

pardon my typing of late. I've been in bed with a fever for about two weeks. not covid. just some weird aberration.

you can begin being healthier by cutting meat consumption by 50 percent, then 40, then 30. Then it can be used for flavoring other dishes or consumed in small amounts.
Bless your heart Diane. I sure hope you start feeling better soon. Have you been in touch with your dr or the ER? That seems abnormally long to have a fever, which means your body is warning you big time that something is wrong. Take care. Love you. ❤❤❤❤

thank you, Karen. I actually developed the fever the day after I saw my doctor a few weeks ago.

I'm actually thinking it might be body heat from the high temperatures we're living with in Seattle. In any even, I don't feel any sicker, just kinda achey. I'm the kind of person who makes a beeline to the doc if the slightest thing seems wrong. Nothing is really happening, so i'm just going to consider it excessive body temperature related to a heat wave.

I'm plant-based, but I do eat eggs, fish, and some dairy (Greek yogurt mostly, but a bit of cheese now and then). More often than not, I eat just plants. It does take some effort to get a vegetarian lifestyle in place after surgery. The biggest issue is finding reasonable protein sources, AND not being a "junk-food" vegetarian, which is pretty easy to do if you don't watch yourself.

You might want to check out the No-Meat Athlete Cookbook, The High Protein Vegetarian Cookbook, The High Protein Vegan Cookbook and/or view websites/blogs of vegan/vegetarian bodybuilders who try to maximize protein. You do have to keep in mind that the portion sizes in these cookbooks and websites will be much larger than what we'd eat, but they provide good ideas for how to maximize protein as a vegetarian/vegan.

For most of my meals, I try to combine several plants that have protein such as beans (lots and lots of beans), lentils, tofu, and other soy products, chia seeds, nutritional yeast, other nuts and seeds, hemp hearts, seitan, tempeh, mycoprotein, etc. Every little bit counts. I do supplement with plant-based protein drinks, such as Owin, Viking, or Orgain, depending on what my meals are during the day. A protein bar will work its way in occasionally as well.

I'm vegetarian and hoping to transition to vegan as I progress through this new experience. Struggling to get enough protein at two and a half weeks post-op (GS). The protein shakes are just too sweet, a little concerned that the lack of protein will effect my weight loss and you health. I hope it gets easier when I can introduce more foods.
Try using an unflavored protein powder or watering down your flavored ones. You can also add herbs and/or spices to flavored shakes to tone them down.

Back