• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anybody else end up with a perforated intestine?

Mummo

I had my surgery on 10/31/23. On 11/1/23 I woke up in the evening with the worst pain in my life, and short of breath. After a CT scan, they saw there was a perforation in my intestine. I was taken back to surgery and they ended up having to open my stomach to fix this, and I woke up with a Med Vac in my abdomen along with a drain. After another surgery to remove the Vac 8 days later, I was allowed to leave the hospital the next day. 5 Days later I was readmitted with an infection in my intestine. Because of all this, I did not go through the normal stages of phase 1 - phase 5. I am constantly googling to see what I can eat. My Surgeon told me to eat what I can tolerate, but, I did not go through all this to not have it be successful. Has anybody else experienced anything close to this. I am 9 weeks post op now. Oh yeah, also to complicate matters, all the artificial sweeteners causes nausea, which I have had my share of. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Oh my goodness. I’m so sorry that all happened. Can your doc give you zofran to take with the nausea on a regular basis? And I’m new to all this (5 days post op) but I think if your dr says tolerate what you can…see what your body can handle between liquids, soft food and solids…try stuff like fat free yogurts and avoid lots of sugar and fat/fried substances. Try chicken and fish vs red meat as that is harder to digest. I’ve got it in my head that when I get to the solid state (I’ve been going over recipes repeatedly in my head) that I can make multiple types of meatballs with turkey meat and maybe 2-3 depending on the size will be a good meal. I plan to season them with different things (taco for Mexican, teriyaki for Asian, ranch for a burger type) and then skewer with a tomato or lettuce piece or whatever is a good health fit that won’t overdo on the stomach. I don’t know if that’s a good idea for you but thought I’d share. Also bariatric apps with recipes are super helpful. I’d go just a little bit here and there like a sip or bite with a little rest to see what happens tummy wise. You don’t wanna stretch it out but you also deserve to be able to be nourished. Idk if this is any help but I do hope and pray you are doing well at this point and that things level out soon.

Oh my goodness. I’m so sorry that all happened. Can your doc give you zofran to take with the nausea on a regular basis? And I’m new to all this (5 days post op) but I think if your dr says tolerate what you can…see what your body can handle between liquids, soft food and solids…try stuff like fat free yogurts and avoid lots of sugar and fat/fried substances. Try chicken and fish vs red meat as that is harder to digest. I’ve got it in my head that when I get to the solid state (I’ve been going over recipes repeatedly in my head) that I can make multiple types of meatballs with turkey meat and maybe 2-3 depending on the size will be a good meal. I plan to season them with different things (taco for Mexican, teriyaki for Asian, ranch for a burger type) and then skewer with a tomato or lettuce piece or whatever is a good health fit that won’t overdo on the stomach. I don’t know if that’s a good idea for you but thought I’d share. Also bariatric apps with recipes are super helpful. I’d go just a little bit here and there like a sip or bite with a little rest to see what happens tummy wise. You don’t wanna stretch it out but you also deserve to be able to be nourished. Idk if this is any help but I do hope and pray you are doing well at this point and that things level out soon.
I actually have a prescription for Zofran, the patch, and another prescription for another nausea medication. The nausea has definitely gotten better, but, I am very nervous about it coming back. I have been looking for recipes, and I do seem to be tolerating most foods, although, again, I am very careful. I have yogurt every morning, but can never finish one, and my favorite lunch so far is a piece of peanut butter toast (of course everything is no sugar added, and low carb bread). I guess my problem is, by the time I was able to have anything other than IV fluids and ice chips, I should have been on phase 3 or 4, so I am very nervous about introducing something to soon, even though chronologically it isn’t to soon. Lol

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time of it. You should eat whatever you're comfortable with. So, if that's mostly full liquids or soft foods, there's nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't suggest you start at the beginning with clear liquids but otherwise, go ahead and do a week or even a few days of the stages. Let your stomach (and mind) adjust at a rate you are comfortable with.

The only tip I have is if you have a slow cooker, use it. I found slow cooked meats MUCH easier to digest in those early months. Stews, chili, all cooked chicken or pork tacos etc were some of my go to meals.

Good luck!

Back